Super finesse Dropshot Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
airtreeswateranimals
Angler
Angler

Super finesse Dropshot Rods

Post by airtreeswateranimals » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:38 pm

Any recommendations... I’m looking for a super finesse type spinning rod for drop shot. Talking about 4lb line. Thanks.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Super finesse Dropshot Rods

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:53 pm

airtreeswateranimals wrote:Any recommendations... I’m looking for a super finesse type spinning rod for drop shot. Talking about 4lb line. Thanks.
Price range? I'm not at the Megabass/Loomis level yet, but I have had and used some nice TFO dropshot rods. I always used a ML with 6-7lb fluorocarbon, so I am sure the Light powered rod worked great with under 6lb down to 4lb.

I am assuming you are searching for a Light powered rod? Seems an UL might be a little too soft for most dropshot techniques.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:01 am

How about the 2016 Megabass Destroyer Ambitious? It's F0-68XS rated from 1/32 to 3/16 oz and 2 to 7lb. line. I haven't fished this one but have handled it at the shop when they've come in and it would make a great very light drop shot rod for very light line. If it's something you might want, let me know, I order JDM Megabass rods for folks regularly...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:20 am

I use a Samurai Rods (Aussie company) Reaction 201 2-6lb Very Fast rod, amazing blanks by Mitsubishi Rayon, Titanium SiC K Guides and CAMO GRIPS!!! They are awesome feeling and look great, they can cast little 0.9g Minnows a good 80ft with a 1003 reel.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:22 pm

The tatula drop shot rods may be an option. Rated down to 1/64oz with enough backbone for setting a solid hookset

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Really depends on your budget, aside from the ones mentioned, Majorcraft Japan has some great rods for both fresh and saltwater ul spinning.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:13 am

airtreeswateranimals wrote:Any recommendations... I’m looking for a super finesse type spinning rod for drop shot. Talking about 4lb line. Thanks.
If you can find an old Diawa Cielo with the titanium top - do not hesitate. Check the TT review. I am running a 2004 series reel with #5 FC.

Also, had good experiences with the Megabass XX Stinger Shot.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:50 am

Megabass XX Stinger Shot would be a good option there.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:48 pm

I don't know about the Stinger Shot, it is a Medium power afterall. I would try to stick with an F0-F1 if i was you or something in the light power department. I personally use a light powered Kaleido rod for the 4lb dropshot setup for the past 6 years and still haven't found anything better.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Pen3 wrote:I don't know about the Stinger Shot, it is a Medium power afterall. I would try to stick with an F0-F1 if i was you or something in the light power department.
I'm with you, the Stinger Shot is way too much rod for this specific application in my hands. Some of my nice panfish rods from the past Kirisame series, maybe even the X7 Parry Arc would be fantastic. That 2016 Ambitious is still a top contender in my mind however...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:36 pm

bronzefly wrote:I'm with you, the Stinger Shot is way too much rod for this specific application in my hands. Some of my nice panfish rods from the past Kirisame series, maybe even the X7 Parry Arc would be fantastic. That 2016 Ambitious is still a top contender in my mind however...
I was actually thinking of the Kirisame myself. By the way, i am going to order the Addermine next weekend and i hope you are not sold out by then.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:24 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
If you can find an old Diawa Cielo with the titanium top - do not hesitate. Check the TT review. I am running a 2004 series reel with #5 FC.

Also, had good experiences with the Megabass XX Stinger Shot.
X2. Have two. Fantastic light drop shot rods.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:49 am

Pen3 wrote:I don't know about the Stinger Shot, it is a Medium power afterall. I would try to stick with an F0-F1 if i was you or something in the light power department. I personally use a light powered Kaleido rod for the 4lb dropshot setup for the past 6 years and still haven't found anything better.
It's a very light medium power with that whippy stinger tip. I used mine only with 5lb line and was casting 4.5" robos on 1/16oz dropshot weights and even lighter split shot rigs without issue. It was more on par with my F1-1/2 Expada...
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:53 am

Here's a good one that you may not have considered.

Tailwalks Taigame TZ

I have the 8'1 and 8'2
Torzite guides
Solid tip (it's red if that matters)
Latest fuji tvs seat

Loads up nicely to protect light line

I like the 8'2 m+
and the long butt pit tucks nicely for bottom dragging which is what tai fishing entails.

And what's better...I don't despise the company anymore since they shipped 2 replacement tips since the ones i had were warped (only took 370 days ;) )

That rod lives on 1/8 oz minnow baits

And 1/16 ounce drop shot style rigs.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Pen3 wrote:
bronzefly wrote:I'm with you, the Stinger Shot is way too much rod for this specific application in my hands. Some of my nice panfish rods from the past Kirisame series, maybe even the X7 Parry Arc would be fantastic. That 2016 Ambitious is still a top contender in my mind however...
I was actually thinking of the Kirisame myself. By the way, i am going to order the Addermine next weekend and i hope you are not sold out by then.
Have you covered, no worries, anytime!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap