JDM TD-S 103HL

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
ALBASS
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

JDM TD-S 103HL

Post by ALBASS » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:28 pm

I have been out of fishing for a few years, and have recently been revisited by fishing fever. Just before I stopped I picked up a few jdm Team Daiwa S 103HL flipping reels. I think I got these in about 2003, and am sure they have long been discontinued. I have recently found that the TD-Z/Steez spools fit these reels too, despite not being listed in the long list of reels they also fit. I think these reels were discontinued about the same time as the TD-Z's. While I can find all sorts of stuff on the TD-Z, I can't even hardly find a picture of a TD-S. These reels are very tame even with light line/ tackle. Anyone know the story on em? Were these early finesse reels?

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: JDM TD-S 103HL

Post by pharmboy2010 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Had one of the 103HLs myself. They were in the JDM Daiwa lineup with the TD-X Air Metal and the TD-Z that all shared the same shape/size. The TD-S had an aluminum frame, fewer bearings, non-ported aluminum spool and a few extra plastic pieces. Decent mid-level reel and could be pretty nice if you were to switch out the spool and did some better bearings.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:01 am

Off of the top of my head, and I could be wrong but, I believe these may have the semi-new (at the time) Mag V. This was marketed, again at least at the time, as better able to handle lighter lines/presentations.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:32 am

The TD-S if they were the Air Metal JDM had a magnesium frame. They were very similar to the TD-Z. Think of it has a JDM of the OG Fuego but with the 34mm spool. I have two...a 103H and a 105H. Great reels!

ALBASS
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ALBASS » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:09 pm

I do recall that at the time I got these there was a Team Daiwa X factory tuned model in the US market, it had gold colored spool bearings while the non tuned had silver, the TD-S also has gold bearings. And according to my scale the spool weighs 15.5g with the bearing on it, which I believe is pretty close to the Gigas in the TD-Z. After watching a video by Mr SV casting straight up with no thumb input I have thought about trying an SV spool, but I don't hardly ever cast straight up, and am enjoying what I call spin cast ease of use now, no thumb after release. It really all comes down to a click or two either side of 4 no matter weight or conditions, the tension is set it and forget it. I also messed up and got a great big spool of 10lb braid which is like fishing with sewing thread, and these reels are the only ones I have that have the brakes to deal with it. I have thrown finesse worms on a 2/0 with a 1/16 weight almost as far as my spinning rod, on a MH rod believe it or not. I may try a spool change later if I have problems, but right now I feel like I am ok there.
My main question now is whether the Traps 7:1 gear set will work in these reels. The one thing that sets the reels apart from most every other reel on the planet is the thumb switch location, I am right handed and the rod never leaves my right hand, which I find much more efficient. I can cast, flip the switch to engaged, sometimes even reach under and take up slack by turning the drag star, and hopefully set the hook all with the right hand, all the while being confused by the depth finder with my left. That switch location also affords a better grip, and I have lost fish by going back to my other reels and depressing the thumb bar during a hook set. I really wish they would bring the lever back. That said when flipping boat docks and such the presentation zone is so small, a quick retrieve would allow more presentations per hour which can't hurt. So if anyone knows if a faster gear set works, or how I can measure to find out?
A longer handle with some bearings would probably help this reel too. But that's easy enough these days.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:23 pm

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there is no other gear ratio available for the flipping lefties. The 7:1 that TTT sells is for the mirror lefties.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:45 pm

Unfortunately the flip/pitch model TD-Z/S do not accept other gear options. The TD-S levelwind gear mates directly to the main gear and not to a smaller sub gear like on the TD-Z models. It would require a levelwind with the proper ratio to work. Due to the elongated body the TD-Z reels feature a series of gears between the main gear and levelwind gear which are cut specifically to the stock ratio. The 7:1 gears fit physically, but do not mesh with the in between levelwind gears. Those two gears also account for the two extra bearings in the flip/pitch TD-Z variant.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

ALBASS
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ALBASS » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:41 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I knew folks here would know about them. Is there any guide available online like a JDM blue book? Some of these reels are new in the box, and I wouldn't mind selling, but I have no idea what they are worth.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:22 pm

ALBASS wrote:Thanks for taking the time to reply, I knew folks here would know about them. Is there any guide available online like a JDM blue book? Some of these reels are new in the box, and I wouldn't mind selling, but I have no idea what they are worth.
Your best bet is to look at sold listings on Ebay to see what they're fetching.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

ALBASS
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ALBASS » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:34 pm

The Bay these days has a saying "we have everything", that's false in this case. I did manage to find the one I sold in December, they maybe worth more to me, than others cause I felt like I gave that one away.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:08 am

Bumping this thread to link to another with more info on the JDM TD-S reels. They're basically fancy Procasters instead of lower spec TD-X like the USDM models. I've got both a lefty and righty. TT threads pull up on Google searches and have some of the best info.
https://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?t=86981