Aldebaran BFS line options

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Aldebaran BFS line options

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:25 am

Never really used BFS applications, but had bad luck with Power Pro Super Slick. I love 8lb regular Power Pro, love the original 10lb, and the Maxcuatro 20lb has been good so far (came with my Chronarch MGL). I bought some 20lb Super Slick for a spinning setup that frayed awfully, never had a break off though. Worse than that was the brown 40lb Super Slick.

Always had great luck with Sufix 832 and many people has been suggesting their new Nanobraid.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:31 pm

kunia13 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
kunia13 wrote:So I tried 10lb PP super slick 8, and pretty much took it off after about 10 minutes. Either I was doing something wrong, or that line just doesn't play with a shallow spool. I had 30lb PPSS8 on a Revo SX last season and hated it too and it came off too.

I'll be trying out 6lb sufix 832 next, thou I'm tempted to try Seaguar smackdown in 10 or 15 lb. My chronarch MGL is spooled with 20lb smackdown, and yes I know it's very thin, but I had no major issues...and it casts a mile. Anyone tired it?

But it's expensive, so I don't know. I have numerous spinning reels spooled with light braids (regular PP, suffix etc) but I have no experience in light BFS stuff so it's all trail and error with lines till I find something I like and can manage well.

What do you guys think? Regular 8/10lb PP, 10/15 smackdown or 6lB 832?
What was wrong with the super slick. It's a great all around line. Shallow spool shouldn't have anything to do with how it handles. As it's still a diameter close enough on the outside to a standard reel.

I prefered 10lb ppss over 6lb suffix 832

Are you looking for something less stiff or wirey?

Try 11lb gliss if you don't mind triple or double palomar knots or FG / pr knots.
That suff is very thing and memoryless once it passes the levelwind guide.

I think I'm settling in on the 4lb pline halo....the line pinching between the spool flange isn't so bad after cutting off a bit of line. And no need for silly join knots. And it's really tough and knots well for 4lb test. Have been doin well and no snag break offs to speak of over the past 4 trips.

My only 3 complaints with PP SS is alberto knots seem to deteriorate quicker for some reason after twist stacks at the knot.
It holds water once the finish wears off
Backlashes really weaken the line throwing heavy payloads at high speeds (surf chunking)

How many mags ya running? Did you add the extra 2? I did from the onset figured I'd remove if needed.
With all installed.....it's effortless almost brainless using 6lb tatsu 4lb halo down to 1/16.
Any casting stroke from any angle throws exactly where I need with no drama
Looks like it's the end user not the line, and I did install the extra 2 magnets.
I found that PPSS frays a lot, especially when it backlashes. I've actually had the line dig into itself and I had to pretty much cut it off. So, either I didn't spool it tight enough or I have no idea what I'm doing.
I don't mind crazy knots, less casting distance or weaker lb test line, as long the line is manageable for a noob like me.
I have a spool of 6lb invixz and maybe I should just spool that and give braid a rest one I get this BFS stuff under control.

Thanks ScoobyDoo:)
No prob...
And yeah i get the backlash fraying....PP SS is stiff....but it's the weave that is tight that makes it as such. Not a waxy coating. What you describe is exactly what I was referring too.

Alot has to do with the rod. Soft action rod will really help with the light bait learning curve

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:32 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
kunia13 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
kunia13 wrote:So I tried 10lb PP super slick 8, and pretty much took it off after about 10 minutes. Either I was doing something wrong, or that line just doesn't play with a shallow spool. I had 30lb PPSS8 on a Revo SX last season and hated it too and it came off too.

I'll be trying out 6lb sufix 832 next, thou I'm tempted to try Seaguar smackdown in 10 or 15 lb. My chronarch MGL is spooled with 20lb smackdown, and yes I know it's very thin, but I had no major issues...and it casts a mile. Anyone tired it?

But it's expensive, so I don't know. I have numerous spinning reels spooled with light braids (regular PP, suffix etc) but I have no experience in light BFS stuff so it's all trail and error with lines till I find something I like and can manage well.

What do you guys think? Regular 8/10lb PP, 10/15 smackdown or 6lB 832?
What was wrong with the super slick. It's a great all around line. Shallow spool shouldn't have anything to do with how it handles. As it's still a diameter close enough on the outside to a standard reel.

I prefered 10lb ppss over 6lb suffix 832

Are you looking for something less stiff or wirey?

Try 11lb gliss if you don't mind triple or double palomar knots or FG / pr knots.
That suff is very thing and memoryless once it passes the levelwind guide.

I think I'm settling in on the 4lb pline halo....the line pinching between the spool flange isn't so bad after cutting off a bit of line. And no need for silly join knots. And it's really tough and knots well for 4lb test. Have been doin well and no snag break offs to speak of over the past 4 trips.

My only 3 complaints with PP SS is alberto knots seem to deteriorate quicker for some reason after twist stacks at the knot.
It holds water once the finish wears off
Backlashes really weaken the line throwing heavy payloads at high speeds (surf chunking)

How many mags ya running? Did you add the extra 2? I did from the onset figured I'd remove if needed.
With all installed.....it's effortless almost brainless using 6lb tatsu 4lb halo down to 1/16.
Any casting stroke from any angle throws exactly where I need with no drama
Looks like it's the end user not the line, and I did install the extra 2 magnets.
I found that PPSS frays a lot, especially when it backlashes. I've actually had the line dig into itself and I had to pretty much cut it off. So, either I didn't spool it tight enough or I have no idea what I'm doing.
I don't mind crazy knots, less casting distance or weaker lb test line, as long the line is manageable for a noob like me.
I have a spool of 6lb invixz and maybe I should just spool that and give braid a rest one I get this BFS stuff under control.

Thanks ScoobyDoo:)
No prob...
And yeah i get the backlash fraying....PP SS is stiff....but it's the weave that is tight that makes it as such. Not a waxy coating. What you describe is exactly what I was referring too.

Alot has to do with the rod. Soft action rod will really help with the light bait learning curve
I was trying it out on a China made Kuying Teton 662l. It's rated 2-10g kinda medium-ish fast. It's not truly UL stuff, but it's quite soft. I think i screwed up by trying a 3gram weight, instead of starting high and working my way down.
At the moment I have that Teton and Zodias 164 BFS, which I'll be using for slightly heavier stuff, plastics and generally on lakes. So no true UL...yet.

Time to watch you new vid:)
BTW, would you consider making baitcasting trout series of videos....BFS stuff, tips, tricks, etc?

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:30 am

A quick update:
I tried out regular 10lb PP and it worked great. I was windy as hell, but I was consistently casting 3g to around 20m with no zero issues. The breaks were at 3 to 4 and the spool was fairly lose.
I think I'll try PPSS again - maybe with regular PP I was way more cautions of my casting, hence I had no issues.
thx

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:47 am

The sounds like the newer model obviously but on my original 12' aldeberan BFS I did the electrical tape fix on the spool for my 10lb and 15lb braid options. Generally though I always ran 6 to 8 pound fluorocarbon and or Floroclear line options. I have nerver been a big proponent of joining different line options together. I am weird. Course this reel doesn't run magnets so I'm not sure if that helps you out any :lol:

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:13 pm

Cristo wrote:The sounds like the newer model obviously but on my original 12' aldeberan BFS I did the electrical tape fix on the spool for my 10lb and 15lb braid options. Generally though I always ran 6 to 8 pound fluorocarbon and or Floroclear line options. I have nerver been a big proponent of joining different line options together. I am weird. Course this reel doesn't run magnets so I'm not sure if that helps you out any :lol:
I tied direct: arbor knot followed by 4 half hitches. There's actually a video of it on the tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMicluuxFDo
From my limited testing it seams tight and locks braid in place. How practical/secure is it? I guess I have to test it out on water.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:15 pm

There really is no reason to make this more difficult than it is. Just tie some very light poundage mono or FC to the spool and turn the handle a few turns, tie on your braid and you will be fine.

Kravetz
Angler
Angler

Post by Kravetz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:49 pm

Is it just me or is the aldebaran bfs the hardest reel to put line on. Trying to get line around that spool and those holes just make it a bear for me.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:54 pm

[quote="Kravetz"]Is it just me or is the aldebaran bfs the hardest reel to put line on. Trying to get line around that spool and those holes just make it a bear for me.[/quote

Are you trying to spool the reel with the spool still in the reel? If so, try removing the spool from the reel, attaching the line to the spool, then inserting the spool back into the reel.

Kravetz
Angler
Angler

Post by Kravetz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanx Never thought of that, will try it as it took me like 5 minutes to do it last time

Kravetz
Angler
Angler

Post by Kravetz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:34 am

By the way my reel is the bfs xg and I use 7 or 8lb super fc sniper in green

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:12 pm

I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. BUT, for more info for people I will add my 2 cents.
I got a Curado, 70 and have been using Power Pro Super Slick 2 in 15lb test with excellent results.
It's a round braid, and I haven't had any issues with it at all. It's being used with a Kuying Conqueror ML rod, and it's a slick set up.