Conquest vs Ryoga

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Conquest vs Ryoga

Post by toporanger » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:27 pm

Help me spend my money.

I need a reel to attach to my Megabass Launcher. This will be used for larger cranks to maybe 25 feet so DD22s etc. Probably on 12lb flouro or copoly depending on summer vs cranking in the winter.

I was leaning towards the conquest 200 but the new Ryoga looks interested but heavier. Heavier isnt a huge issue due to the longer rod and Im also a musky fisherman so I use big Revos etc.

The Bantam MGL is also interesting as its being described as a low profile conquest in a large number of reviews but the spool size. And then there is the steez A 5 speed which seems nice and I all ready own a steez a.

So with a budget around $450 where should I spend it?

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Conquest vs Ryoga

Post by Tony9 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:18 pm

You can't go wrong with either. I'm planning to get a Ryoga 1520 as I already have a Conquest. Also, the Bantam is available in a 5.5 speed from Japan.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:21 pm

I have two 100 size Conquests and love them. I also have an older Ryoga 1016 and love it. These are good problems to have. I would think the 200 Conquests would compare more directly with the Ryoga or maybe the 300 series. In any case any of the reels you mention are great and I think it is a win/win situation. Obviously I have no experience with the Bantam. Both of the round reels are super smooth, for me the Ryoga feels more powerful, but that might just be my impression. How can you go wrong? It's just money.

Windy City
Angler
Angler

Post by Windy City » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:55 pm

I bought a Ryoga Shrapnel last October just before going on a 2 day guided musky hunt in the Park Falls area. We beat the water from sun up to sun down. I had a Tranx, 2 Calcutta Conquests, an Abu Beast, and the Ryoga. By the end of the 2 days I was hands down convinced the Ryoga was the leader of the pack.

For throwing big baits it rules.

I have a 18 Ryoga 1016H "on deposit" and am looking forward to getting it. :D

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:30 am

I vote for the new Ryoga, that thing looks sick! I have a feeling it's gonna be a great performer. You nailed it on the weight, it won't be an issue on a long rod like that.
And with the ability to drop in kickass deep spools(like rcs 1016, zpi PG, zpi-001, etc) you can use it for other applications that require high lb test, like spinnerbaits, smaller swimbaits, A-rigs, etc.

I'm in love with my current deep crank reel(j dream 5.3) but if I was in the market for a new/different one, that Ryoga would be my first choice. 2nd choice would be... I dunno. Conquest 200 maybe. Or Antares DC.
That new 5.3 steez A cc would get the nod if it had brass gears but I don't think it does. Older ryoga is probably a solid choice, as would be a Lin 8-)

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:13 am

Thanks for all the input. Im thinking about getting the ryoga 1016 2018 model now. Looks like japantackle is about the only place is its in stock at the moment though.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:11 am

toporanger wrote:Thanks for all the input. Im thinking about getting the ryoga 1016 2018 model now. Looks like japantackle is about the only place is its in stock at the moment though.
IMG_8866.JPG
IMG_8866.JPG (53.35 KiB) Viewed 9237 times
:lol:

I'm sure if you wait a couple weeks it'll be available everywhere(and at cheaper prices). That reel really sounds badass(and looks it too). Especially when you read the descriptions and feedback form the Lake Biwa guides on daiwa Japan's site.
http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/re ... index.html

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:39 am

Yes, the new Ryoga 1016 sure does look awesome. Haven’t they lowered the weight specs on the daiwa website? I seem to remember that it said 280-something grams.

Windy City
Angler
Angler

Post by Windy City » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:20 pm

I received notification yesterday my 1016 is on its way to me.

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lund40 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:55 pm

I just bought the old style ryoga 1016 nice reel

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Kazu is shipping it today.... another pile of money spent thanks to this group of enthusiasts advice. :crying: :laugh1: :big grin:

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Just the humongus spool options the 1016 size ryoga has is an automatic win for me, personally. Plus, i find the OG ryoga one of the best looking reels ever created (even better if its a LIN). Have mine for years, cought sturgeons close to 60lb on it, and the thing is like new. Conquest is a bass reel. The Ryoga is a everything that moves in the water reel.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:31 pm

toporanger wrote:Kazu is shipping it today.... another pile of money spent thanks to this group of enthusiasts advice. :crying: :laugh1: :big grin:
Windy City wrote:I received notification yesterday my 1016 is on its way to me.
Siiiiiiick! I'm stoked for you guys, If I had the funds I'd get one too! I actually want one in both sizes.
Afaik you guys are the first TT members to get em. Looking forward to hearing your impressions

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:57 pm

David Fritts on crankbait fishing: "The reels with a flexible anti-reverse mechanism have a lot more feel to them when you retrieve your baits. It's not so much of a factor with worms or jigs but with crankbaits it is key. I would not even consider fishing a crankbait without that type of a reel. Unfortunately, the David Fritts cranking reel is the only reel made with the flexible anti-reverse feature - unless you go way back to the older reels that are 15- and 20-years-old. "

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:59 am

runmax08 wrote:David Fritts on crankbait fishing: "The reels with a flexible anti-reverse mechanism have a lot more feel to them when you retrieve your baits. It's not so much of a factor with worms or jigs but with crankbaits it is key. I would not even consider fishing a crankbait without that type of a reel. Unfortunately, the David Fritts cranking reel is the only reel made with the flexible anti-reverse feature - unless you go way back to the older reels that are 15- and 20-years-old. "
That's that old school High rock North Carolina crankbait fishermen style. I know of the old timers who taught david how to fish crankbaits, they ran the OG browning & Lews bb1's(on 8ft lamiglass glass rods) and never switched(and I'm sure the ones who are still alive & able to fish still use them).
This gear is religion to them.
Can't speak for other parts of the country, but in the south, there's some things you do, or tools you use, and that's how it's done, period. You don't switch.
Ex: Like myself & some of the guys I hunt with, when it comes to shotguns we Only use old Belgium made Browning A-5's. The later Japanese made ones are arguably a 'better' gun, utilizing better Japanese steel & tighter tolerances, but if you tell an 'old a-5 guy' you're using a Japan model they'll cut they're teeth at you & shake their head, or at the least- give a half smile & judge you quietly (Only giving you a pass if you're running a Japanese barrel only, as they were the only ones that can get on with steel shot. But I digress).
Point is- in the south, some things are tradition & you don't just go switching to the new fangled technology easily, if ever. :)

These old reels didn't have instant anti reverse, and once you learned how to fish these reels, you can feed slack to your crank causing it to do a funny little reverse wiggle & dance. However it's an art & delicate balance and can also cause you to miss hookups. It's not an easy skill to learn. took me a couple of years, and I still wouldn't consider myself proficient at it.
As for it being more sensitive...been a while but I remember reading/hearing david(or one of those NC old timers) say something to the effect of that when you get it right, you can actually feel the fish behind the bait cutting through the water. (I believe he actually said 'breathing on the bait'). Having used them a bunch, I can say that might be a bit of southern exaggeration. I've personally never noticed them to be 'more sensitive'. But in theory... technically, it makes sense.

David Fritts BPS reel had this feature(which I'm guessing is what your quote came from? Or it's from a Lews?). I still have a couple of the DF BPS reels(as well as OG Lews BB reels). I also fish with some Daiwa PT33's, which also have this 'feature'.
While it's pretty neat fishing with one, and a completely different feel.... I personally prefer using newer reels with newer technology. I also find I have better hookup ratios and prefer the feel of fishing crankbaits on faster graphite rods, which is also considered heresy by the old timers. It's just one of those things you have to find out what works best for you.

In regards to the new Ryoga- if you click on that link to the JDM page I posted, they talk about how 'feel' was a big focus of the reel, and all the things they did to increase its sensitivity. It's the first time I've ever seen a reel company talk about engineering a reel & features to make it more sensitive. Magnesium reels are more sensitive but this was just a byproduct of them making lighter reels.
There's some pretty cutting edge stuff on the Ryoga that even those NC old timers would appreciate(like using an SIC line guide to increase vibration transmission through the line).
But odds are... they still wouldn't use them. Because tradition ;)

Here's one article to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:
http://www.carolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=506