Longer cranbait rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Longer cranbait rods

Post by Patex » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:24 am

I am looking for longer crankbait rod for deep cranking, length around 7’5”-7’10” i don’t mind if it’s current or old model. The only criteria is that it has to be either Megabass or Evergreen. What are you guys using, what would be your recommendation?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Longer cranbait rods

Post by bronzefly » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:40 am

When you say deep cranking, are you talking 10XD, or what is the minimum and maximum weight and depth you'll be throwing? The XX Leviathan that's still on clearance at The Tackle Trap is an awesome deep cranking rod up to a 6XD. Some guys like the 8XD on it, but I think it's a little bit overloaded with that bait. It's no match for the 10XD :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:44 am

From Megabass, this one:
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... s_id=12662

From evergreen, probably this:
https://www.evergreen-fishing.com/goods ... 160_1.html

I'd pick the megabass personally.

I know you said Megabass or Evergreen only, but the Legend Elite 7'11 definitely deserves consideration:
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=8044

Those are probably the 3 best deep crank rods on the market, outside of niche jdm rods or custom build

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:40 am

Thank you both for your reply. The biggest deep crankbait I use the Deep X-300.
I like the the look of the F6-711XX Launcher.
I read more about the Evergreen StrikeMaster77, it has a fast action so I ruled it out.
From the older rods I was looking at the F5-711x F5-711X ‘Seven Eleven Cyber Shootist’, 7’11”, 3/8oz – 1oz lure rating, 10-25lb line rating, regular taper, with spiral wrapped guides. Does anyone using this for cranking?

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:11 am

Patex wrote:Thank you both for your reply. The biggest deep crankbait I use the Deep X-300.
I like the the look of the F6-711XX Launcher.
I read more about the Evergreen StrikeMaster77, it has a fast action so I ruled it out.
From the older rods I was looking at the F5-711x F5-711X ‘Seven Eleven Cyber Shootist’, 7’11”, 3/8oz – 1oz lure rating, 10-25lb line rating, regular taper, with spiral wrapped guides. Does anyone using this for cranking?
There's a guy or two that use the P3 Record Breaker for cranking.
Bass1980 is one I know offhand that does.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:12 am

Patex wrote:Thank you both for your reply. The biggest deep crankbait I use the Deep X-300.
If a Deep X 300 is the largest crank you're using, without a doubt, the first generation XX Launcher at $199 shipped with full warranty through Megabass is hard to beat - that is if you're in the US!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:20 am

bronzefly wrote:
If a Deep X 300 is the largest crank you're using, without a doubt, the first generation XX Launcher at $199 shipped with full warranty through Megabass is hard to beat - that is if you're in the US!
Unfortunately I am not in the US Gary, although I bought some reels and parts from you before with excellent service, one piece rod shipping from the US to the UK is a pain in cost and taxes.

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:52 am

I use crankbaits a lot. I have gone through many rods. This is on deck now for all my deepest divers.

13 Fishing Envy Black "Crankenstein" Heavy Cranking Rod, 7'11"

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Patex wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
Unfortunately I am not in the US Gary, although I bought some reels and parts from you before with excellent service, one piece rod shipping from the US to the UK is a pain in cost and taxes.
Thank you, I thought that was the case. Consider that the Launcher XX first generation, marked down, even shipped, it might not be out of the question. If I can help out, please do let me know and best of luck on your search.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:05 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Patex wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
Thank you, I thought that was the case. Consider that the Launcher XX first generation, marked down, even shipped, it might not be out of the question. If I can help out, please do let me know and best of luck on your search.
Hi Gary, thank you. I will send you an email over the weekend.