Pixy/Pixzilla still relevant...

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Pixy/Pixzilla still relevant...

Post by SSS » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:27 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
78Staff wrote:I would up picking up a PX68L - and am a bit underwhelmed with 1/8 oz baits. Part of it is the rod I believe, I have it on a DX742 and I probably should be using a DX702 or lighter to really take advantage. Before buying another rod though I thought about trying a different spool, ie a DIY or Finesse Special, although not sure how much tangible difference they would make over the stock PX68 spool? Or, may just switch altogether to the Alphas Air instead...still mulling it over.
The right rod makes all the difference, the PX68L should have no problem with 1/8 oz baits. I would try upgrading your bearings on the stock spool. If you want a sweet pixy spool get an orange ZPI MG Pixy Spool RC-301.
The diy spool will outcast the rc-301 if you're aiming for true 1/8 and below. Its also better than the Presso and the PX68 Finesse Special spool. I have never tried the ktf pixy spools, but i believe those are the only pixy spools that will be able to outcast the Ray's Studio spool when casting ultra light stuff.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:31 pm

SSS wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
78Staff wrote:I would up picking up a PX68L - and am a bit underwhelmed with 1/8 oz baits. Part of it is the rod I believe, I have it on a DX742 and I probably should be using a DX702 or lighter to really take advantage. Before buying another rod though I thought about trying a different spool, ie a DIY or Finesse Special, although not sure how much tangible difference they would make over the stock PX68 spool? Or, may just switch altogether to the Alphas Air instead...still mulling it over.
The right rod makes all the difference, the PX68L should have no problem with 1/8 oz baits. I would try upgrading your bearings on the stock spool. If you want a sweet pixy spool get an orange ZPI MG Pixy Spool RC-301.
The diy spool will outcast the rc-301 if you're aiming for true 1/8 and below. Its also better than the Presso and the PX68 Finesse Special spool. I have never tried the ktf pixy spools, but i believe those are the only pixy spools that will be able to outcast the Ray's Studio spool when casting ultra light stuff.
I like the RC-301 not because capable of casting the lightest baits possible but because of the control it provides.
Haven't tried the dyi spools yet. Being a solid instead of a drilled spool, most likely you wont have to be as careful to not warp the spool by putting too much pressure on it. But the dyi spools are cheaper and much more readily available so they are probably worth trying out.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:27 am

Houndfish wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
I agree. I have a PX68 with a DIY spool and HH BFS bearing and with 4lb mono and an UL/M rod it will cast 1/16oz inline spinner with ease. Even with the stock spool and the BFS bearings it will cast a solid 1/8oz lure (4' roboworm w/ 1/0 hook) very well on a light and I think more importantly, soft rod.
I've got a DX702 on the way, will give that a try in place of the 742 and go from there...

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:44 am

With the right rod 1/8 is doable with that reel but it wouldn't be high on my list since there are better spools for that weight. The PX68 and Type R spools are too heavy at 15 grams. I would assume Daiwa wanted it less finesse and a tad more all around spool??? As to why many with those two variants upgrade their spools to lighter versions. I have not tried a Ray's spool but I'm sure they work well as I do have a Ray's spool in a TDZ.

The other day I was tossing 3.5 gram crank with my Pixy + ize finesse spool + pixy 6'3 rod for crappies. That was fun as I rarely fish for crappies lol.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:51 am

spencerinstl wrote:
SSS wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
I like the RC-301 not because capable of casting the lightest baits possible but because of the control it provides.
Haven't tried the dyi spools yet. Being a solid instead of a drilled spool, most likely you wont have to be as careful to not warp the spool by putting too much pressure on it. But the dyi spools are cheaper and much more readily available so they are probably worth trying out.
yea, the control on the rc301 and the r+ airy red spool is pretty good. And if you're not casting anything under 1/8, the diy spool is not needed at all.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:27 pm

SSS wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
SSS wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
yea, the control on the rc301 and the r+ airy red spool is pretty good. And if you're not casting anything under 1/8, the diy spool is not needed at all.
I agree with this sentiment on the Airy Red and Ray's DIY spools.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:31 am

That's what i did to my SPR. Now i can use any pixy spool and not being limited to the one that comes with the reel

https://i.imgur.com/vWP24RK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tUlozgp.jpg