Pixy/Pixzilla still relevant...

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Pixy/Pixzilla still relevant...

Post by 78Staff » Thu May 10, 2018 8:40 pm

So i picked up a 2 power rod to experiment some, mainly for throwing lighter/smaller baits I would normally grab a spinning setup for for - 2-4" finesse worms, baby jigs, shakey head, underspins etc... basically the 1/8" realm...

I already have a JDM Alphas SV ready to go on it with 7lb Sniper, but got to thinking about the old pixys/pixzilla's... never had one before but as I recall they were Daiwa's finesse BC king and had a pretty strong following. Are they still relevant today now compared to Alphas SV? I was looking on eBay and a few Japan Auctions sites, the Pixy, PX-L/Type R, and SPR models all have dropped in price quite a bit from a few years back...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Pixy/Pixzilla still relevant...

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:53 pm

Totally still relevant. Last year was actually year of the Pixy amongst many, many members.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri May 11, 2018 3:59 am

Yup! Still a pleasure to fish even with the SV spools out there.

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Fri May 11, 2018 6:53 am

Airy Red 'zilla (thanks Tim) with hedgehog air bearings & 100 mm swept handle. Original magical silver spool with 6# tatsu or orange presso and 11# shooter. Paired with either my dobyns dx 701 (1/16-3/8) or dx 702: the pixy is always in the boat. The question is "still relevant": please note new releases are judged against the pixy...seems to still be the standard benchmark to measure against.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri May 11, 2018 6:59 am

My Type R with airy red spool and 7.2 gears sits on a Super Eiger, while my SV 105 sits in a box. :lol:

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri May 11, 2018 7:03 am

lol Ok, Ok guess i will have to try one out... can't find any Type R's though, curse o' the lefty :crying:

Preference of PX68 vs SPR? SPR is "for small plugs" but seems like most review rate it good for any bait presentation...

Or I could go really old school pick up a Red Airy and give it the 'Zilla treatment. But could buy PX68 or SPR for cheaper than building really it appears. Really would like to find a Type R though... me likes my clickies :)

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri May 11, 2018 7:24 am

Why won't it be? Everything is in the spool and side plate/spool bearings. You put a custom spool inside your pixy and it will outperform or do as well as the best bfs setups in 2018. If the stock 14.5g spool is too heavy for your applications, a Ray's Studio, Fineese Special, presso, zpi spools are all excellent. If you're ready to sell your left testicle, you can get a KTF spool and it will outperform everything when it comes to ultra light stuff.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri May 11, 2018 7:34 am

78Staff wrote:lol Ok, Ok guess i will have to try one out... can't find any Type R's though, curse o' the lefty :crying:

Preference of PX68 vs SPR? SPR is "for small plugs" but seems like most review rate it good for any bait presentation...

Or I could go really old school pick up a Red Airy and give it the 'Zilla treatment. But could buy PX68 or SPR for cheaper than building really it appears. Really would like to find a Type R though... me likes my clickies :)
You definitely want the Airy Red and it's wonderful spool.

You don't want clickies on a finesse reel - you want the ability to make very small adjustments to the drag and the spool tension.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri May 11, 2018 8:13 am

Tokugawa wrote:
You definitely want the Airy Red and it's wonderful spool.

You don't want clickies on a finesse reel - you want the ability to make very small adjustments to the drag and the spool tension.
That's a valid point - thanks.

I do have most of the conv parts already - swept handle, worm gear kit, No1 drag set, etc - but would need swept star and the custom shim Ian talks about in the pizy>pixzilla thread too...

IDK though, something about that SPR seems nifty - c brakes on a Diawa :).

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri May 11, 2018 9:03 am

Have you read Cal's SPR review? It might sway you one way or the other.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Fri May 11, 2018 10:02 am

The SPR is loads of fun to fish
It can launch a bait a mile,not only a small plug reel at all
Happiness is a sore thumb

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 11, 2018 10:39 am

The Airy Red spool is the one you want. It is anti SV and is a nice compliment to an SV reel.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Fri May 11, 2018 11:22 am

The SPR review was a bit harsh! I've had mine since it came out and it's great fun throwing small baits on it.

One thing though, I've only had it paired with short (6'3"ish) and fast rods. The casts just don't go too far. I think it's a combination of the rods and the reel's braking.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri May 11, 2018 6:21 pm

I have a PX68 and it will easily outcast my sv105's with lures under 1/4oz. I am going to pick up an Airy Red this year and, assuming I can lay hands on a blue DIY spool, an Orange on as well to go an UL Legend Inshore. I want the Airy Red so I can turn it into a classic Pixzilla as I came into this stuff too late to get in on the craze, but I really like how they look.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri May 11, 2018 6:50 pm

I am not a big fan but in short answer yes!!!!!!!!