Pixy/Pixzilla still relevant...

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Pixy/Pixzilla still relevant...

Post by 78Staff » Fri May 11, 2018 7:49 pm

yeah I agree Cal didn't seem too impressed with the SPR until he tied on some hard baits... I'll likely use this more for small plastics and jigs etc more that hardbaits so seems like I should lean towards PX68/Type R or building up a Pizy. Just have to figure out that shim part/drag as all the pics are gone from the zilla thread :-k

The funny...or sad thing is I believe i had a PX Type R I picked up back with TW was blowing them out... but never used it, sat in a box for awhile so I sold it. :doh:

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat May 12, 2018 12:19 pm

The spr is a strange reel
It will bomb a 1/2 oz lipless a long way(equivalent to the run of the mill pixy)
Where it shines is with a 1/4 oz hardbait, mysteriously it flies as far as the 1/2 oz bait
The joys of the centrifugal breaking profile
This is a niche reel that can do everything a regular pixy can do,however it excels at launching compact baits a long way
Not for everyone
Happiness is a sore thumb

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sat May 12, 2018 12:26 pm

africanbass wrote:The spr is a strange reel
It will bomb a 1/2 oz lipless a long way(equivalent to the run of the mill pixy)
Where it shines is with a 1/4 oz hardbait, mysteriously it flies as far as the 1/2 oz bait
The joys of the centrifugal breaking profile
This is a niche reel that can do everything a regular pixy can do,however it excels at launching compact baits a long way
Not for everyone
Well dang it it will throw 1/8 oz ish soft plastics/jigs/etc as well as a regular aird red pixy I might just pick one over a PX-R... although on a DX742 I doubt I would throw any hard baits with it.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat May 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Finesse plastics I would go with the mag option for versatility
The spr is akin to a sports car with the electronic aids disabled, if you are into that wild kind of connected experience, enjoy..
Happiness is a sore thumb

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun May 13, 2018 6:26 am

Yes the Pixy is still relevant. I have had every variant of the BFS Aldebaran and many different BFS spools for the 09 Aldebaran and I just bought 2 Pixies and I caught my first fish on them this morning and I had just as much fun throwing the lightweight stuff on them as I do the Aldebarans.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:37 pm

The Pixy is like a mini-me version of the TDZ. So much you can do to the reel. For builders it's still the BFS reel to modify. Pixilla it and you'll easily dump another $200 or go all out and you'll easily dump another $400+. The only thing is the stock spool is nice but the newer offerings has that spool beat. Find an I'ze Finesse Special spool or a ZPI 301 and it'll hang with any of them.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:26 pm

I just bought two Pixies. A Silver Mica and a Airy Red and after buying some dress up parts for them, I just found out the I need to buy f’ing driveshafts for them in order to have a clicking drag star, along with the other dress up parts that I still need to buy, I am about ready to throw them against a wall because they are m’fing expensive to fix up.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:08 pm

Clicking drag is overrated. In a world of swept drag stars, the old straight ones look cool.. especially when paired with a ZPI handle. :big grin:

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:34 pm

I was asking around on Facebook and looking on auction sites for straight 80mm ZPI but I had no luck in finding one. I may sell the dress up parts that I have already bought and continue looking because I agree with you that the straight drag star and the straight ZPI handle looks great.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:15 pm

John G wrote:I was asking around on Facebook and looking on auction sites for straight 80mm ZPI but I had no luck in finding one. I may sell the dress up parts that I have already bought and continue looking because I agree with you that the straight drag star and the straight ZPI handle looks great.
The Ray's straight carbon handle is a visual knock off of the ZPI and very cheap at under $30. Something to consider if you have problems getting ahold of a straight ZIP handle .

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:03 am

Thanks. I’m not sure if I have seen a Ray’s handle. I will check them out. I haven’t checked out any of the Ray’s stuff other than the BFS spool and I to my surprise, it actually is pretty damn nice.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:57 pm

John G wrote:Thanks. I’m not sure if I have seen a Ray’s handle. I will check them out. I haven’t checked out any of the Ray’s stuff other than the BFS spool and I to my surprise, it actually is pretty damn nice.
I've got one on a Pixy actually. I'll have to take a pic of it so you can see how it looks ect.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:42 pm

John G wrote:I just bought two Pixies. A Silver Mica and a Airy Red and after buying some dress up parts for them, I just found out the I need to buy f’ing driveshafts for them in order to have a clicking drag star, along with the other dress up parts that I still need to buy, I am about ready to throw them against a wall because they are m’fing expensive to fix up.
You don't want a clicking drag star on a finesse reel anyway.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:29 am

Never see much mention of the PX type R. Pretty much a Pixzilla straight from the box.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:37 am

Tokugawa wrote:
You don't want a clicking drag star on a finesse reel anyway.
I read that but I am not sure why. Every reel that I have used for BFS has had a clicking drag star and I have never had a problem. The lightest line that I use so far is 5LB Sniper on my Silver Mica Pixy and my 16 Aldebaran BFS XG and I have not had any issues.