Pixy/Pixzilla still relevant...

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Pixy/Pixzilla still relevant...

Post by SSS » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:58 am

John G wrote:I just bought two Pixies. A Silver Mica and a Airy Red and after buying some dress up parts for them, I just found out the I need to buy f’ing driveshafts for them in order to have a clicking drag star, along with the other dress up parts that I still need to buy, I am about ready to throw them against a wall because they are m’fing expensive to fix up.
but that's not "fixing". you do it cuz you want to, not because its absolutely needed in a baitcaster.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:54 am

Sore Thumb wrote:Never see much mention of the PX type R. Pretty much a Pixzilla straight from the box.
By far the best Pixy variant. Just that it wasn't JDM and retailed at $500 and never took off. The spool might have been an too heavy for light stuff but a spool swap can solve that.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:14 pm

John G wrote:Thanks. I’m not sure if I have seen a Ray’s handle. I will check them out. I haven’t checked out any of the Ray’s stuff other than the BFS spool and I to my surprise, it actually is pretty damn nice.
Here is what the Ray's straight handles look like. I have the 95mm but there is a 84 as well. They might male an 80mm too but I'm not sure.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Bass1980 wrote:
Sore Thumb wrote:Never see much mention of the PX type R. Pretty much a Pixzilla straight from the box.
By far the best Pixy variant. Just that it wasn't JDM and retailed at $500 and never took off. The spool might have been an too heavy for light stuff but a spool swap can solve that.
One I wish I had. Pretty much a USDM super tuned PX68.

My only Pixy at the moment, Factory ZPI Tuned Airy Red with a few upgrades.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:16 am

LowRange wrote: Here is what the Ray's straight handles look like. I have the 95mm but there is a 84 as well. They might male an 80mm too but I'm not sure.

That looks very nice. I am definitely looking for 80mm for my Pixies. I may end up getting Avail handles if I can't find ZPI's.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:44 am

Bass1980 wrote:
The Type R and the Silver Mica are cosmetically so boring compared to the others. That glossy black finish on the Type R is too damn ugly

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:59 am

SSS wrote:
Bass1980 wrote:
The Type R and the Silver Mica are cosmetically so boring compared to the others. That glossy black finish on the Type R is too damn ugly
Everybody is different on this regaurd. I prefer the Silver Mica and Type R because they are normal looking unlike the garish and mis-matched colors of the others. I went as far as to find a Silver Mica and an Airy Red spool because I didn't want the maroon red and silver of the Airy red.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:42 am

LowRange wrote:
SSS wrote:
Bass1980 wrote:
Everybody is different on this regaurd. I prefer the Silver Mica and Type R because they are normal looking unlike the garish and mis-matched colors of the others. I went as far as to find a Silver Mica and an Airy Red spool because I didn't want the maroon red and silver of the Airy red.
I put an Airy Red spool in my Type R, and replaced red parts with silver or black. But I like the Airy Red looks.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:27 am

LowRange wrote:...I didn't want the maroon red and silver of the Airy red.
Blasphemy!!! Away with you evil doer!! :talk hand: :talk hand:

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:31 pm

LowRange wrote:
SSS wrote:
Bass1980 wrote:
How about the SPR? Looks normal and has that high end look.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:58 pm

The SPR is a bit of an anomaly with the centri braking. Its great for small cranks and such, but I like Daiwa reels specifically for the mag braking. I sold the SPR I had, though I did enjoy it. I went with an SS Air for my small cranks and it casts them just as well, maybe a little better. I just need to get the 6.3 gears from my SS SV 103H swapped into it to make it more suitable for cranks.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:42 pm

You could even go as far as i did and mill the frame for 33mm spools. I put the cosugi works in mine but an sv spool could be done to to make the pixy more "modern". I could've done 32mm and threw an air spool in but the set plate would have to be milled as well. The 33mm allowed me to just grab a sv105 plate and be done with it. Once mine gets back from paint it should be a stunner and absolutely relevant!

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 pm

I would up picking up a PX68L - and am a bit underwhelmed with 1/8 oz baits. Part of it is the rod I believe, I have it on a DX742 and I probably should be using a DX702 or lighter to really take advantage. Before buying another rod though I thought about trying a different spool, ie a DIY or Finesse Special, although not sure how much tangible difference they would make over the stock PX68 spool? Or, may just switch altogether to the Alphas Air instead...still mulling it over.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:19 am

78Staff wrote:I would up picking up a PX68L - and am a bit underwhelmed with 1/8 oz baits. Part of it is the rod I believe, I have it on a DX742 and I probably should be using a DX702 or lighter to really take advantage. Before buying another rod though I thought about trying a different spool, ie a DIY or Finesse Special, although not sure how much tangible difference they would make over the stock PX68 spool? Or, may just switch altogether to the Alphas Air instead...still mulling it over.
The right rod makes all the difference, the PX68L should have no problem with 1/8 oz baits. I would try upgrading your bearings on the stock spool. If you want a sweet pixy spool get an orange ZPI MG Pixy Spool RC-301.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:53 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
78Staff wrote:I would up picking up a PX68L - and am a bit underwhelmed with 1/8 oz baits. Part of it is the rod I believe, I have it on a DX742 and I probably should be using a DX702 or lighter to really take advantage. Before buying another rod though I thought about trying a different spool, ie a DIY or Finesse Special, although not sure how much tangible difference they would make over the stock PX68 spool? Or, may just switch altogether to the Alphas Air instead...still mulling it over.
The right rod makes all the difference, the PX68L should have no problem with 1/8 oz baits. I would try upgrading your bearings on the stock spool. If you want a sweet pixy spool get an orange ZPI MG Pixy Spool RC-301.
I agree. I have a PX68 with a DIY spool and HH BFS bearing and with 4lb mono and an UL/M rod it will cast 1/16oz inline spinner with ease. Even with the stock spool and the BFS bearings it will cast a solid 1/8oz lure (4' roboworm w/ 1/0 hook) very well on a light and I think more importantly, soft rod.