SCORPION BFS vs ALPHAS AIR vs G1 1012 SV

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
rajiv97
Angler
Angler

SCORPION BFS vs ALPHAS AIR vs G1 1012 SV

Post by rajiv97 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:03 am

Hi everyone, I'm very keen on getting a bfs setup. Pretty much confirmed I'm pairing the reel with a majorcraft corzza 4-12 lbs bfs rod. I currently own a Steez A TW and a Curado K. Was wondering if I should just get the SV spool for the Steez or go ahead and get an alphas air or a scorpion bfs. If I need to get a bfs reel, how do the scorpion bfs and alphas air compare? I'll probably be using 2g lures and up. Mainly in the range from 3g-7g. Thank you! Having a real hard time deciding ](*,)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SCORPION BFS vs ALPHAS AIR vs G1 1012 SV

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:33 am

rajiv97 wrote:Hi everyone, I'm very keen on getting a bfs setup. Pretty much confirmed I'm pairing the reel with a majorcraft corzza 4-12 lbs bfs rod. I currently own a Steez A TW and a Curado K. Was wondering if I should just get the SV spool for the Steez or go ahead and get an alphas air or a scorpion bfs. If I need to get a bfs reel, how do the scorpion bfs and alphas air compare? I'll probably be using 2g lures and up. Mainly in the range from 3g-7g. Thank you! Having a real hard time deciding ](*,)
The G1 1012SV spool will be amazing in that Steez A TW, but I would assume it to be much better for like 1/8 shaky heads or just a tad heavier than true BFS weights. I think it is a pretty fast spool too, so casting the lower range (3 grams) will take some practice. The 7 gram lures should cast easily though, a G1 1016 SV will throw a 1/4oz (7 gram) a LOOOOONNG ways. I don't really know the Steez A's braking profile either so I cannot say how much it nullifies the spool's speed/inductor.

What line are you planning on using???

rajiv97
Angler
Angler

Post by rajiv97 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:05 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
rajiv97 wrote:Hi everyone, I'm very keen on getting a bfs setup. Pretty much confirmed I'm pairing the reel with a majorcraft corzza 4-12 lbs bfs rod. I currently own a Steez A TW and a Curado K. Was wondering if I should just get the SV spool for the Steez or go ahead and get an alphas air or a scorpion bfs. If I need to get a bfs reel, how do the scorpion bfs and alphas air compare? I'll probably be using 2g lures and up. Mainly in the range from 3g-7g. Thank you! Having a real hard time deciding ](*,)
The G1 1012SV spool will be amazing in that Steez A TW, but I would assume it to be much better for like 1/8 shaky heads or just a tad heavier than true BFS weights. I think it is a pretty fast spool too, so casting the lower range (3 grams) will take some practice. The 7 gram lures should cast easily though, a G1 1016 SV will throw a 1/4oz (7 gram) a LOOOOONNG ways. I don't really know the Steez A's braking profile either so I cannot say how much it nullifies the spool's speed/inductor.

What line are you planning on using???
Hi, thank you for your input! I will probably spool the reel up with 5lb or 6lb Suffix Invisiline or maybe even 8lbs suffix 832. Still undecided on that 8-[ . Hmm, I would rarely go under 3g. I can cast a 4g Xrap around 15-20 feet at the moment with my steez spooled up with 20lb suffix with a 4-10 rod. really considering a shallow spool for the steez as it would be significantly cheaper than getting a new BFS reel

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:59 pm

With the G1 1012SV on the right rod, I have no problem casting 1/16 oz plus small trailers very good distance. Same with the Zpi Nrc001-m. Being your wanting to go up to a quarter ounce, this might be better. Better line capacity, just don't fill the spool. If you were going with straight 1/16 oz and under, I'd say Alphas air. I use my Steez SV TW for finesse and power finesse duties only. Seems that's kinda what you are after. I do prefer a magnesium reel for this, but that's personal preference. Just bare in mind that if you go Alphas air and make a long cast with a quarter ounce, that leaves little line left should a big fish pick up your bait and make a run. I think you are after power finesse, and the G1 1012SV really shines in a new Steez platform for this. Super finesse all the time, Alphas air imo. I don't know what quarter ounce baits you will be using, but you might want to kick up the line diameter a notch. I use 8 lb Sunline Assassin. I throw everything from weightless finesse worms with a very small nail weight, to 3/16 oz wacky jig head and finesse worms with my Steez SV TW and G1 1012SV. It's perfect imo. I'll use a true finesse spool for split shot rigs with 6 lb fluoro.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Tue May 22, 2018 3:40 pm

I have Steez SV (non TWS version, but I have T3 SV as well so I know TWS is not making a large difference for these light casting weights) and Alphas Air. Steez SV is OK from 4g and up, for 2g you should for sure go Alphas Air, the Air is also better for 4g.

For casting 2g I strongly recommend Corzza 1/32-1/4 oz instead of the 1/16-1/4 you are considering. I haven't used 1/16-1/4 Corrza, but I have the Volkey with the same classification and it's far too stiff for 2g. I'm very happy with the combination of Alphas Air and Corrza 1/32-1/4 for casting 2-6g. It's also casting 8g well, but here Steez SV with Volkey 1/16-1/4 is better.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 22, 2018 4:28 pm

abbor wrote:I have Steez SV (non TWS version, but I have T3 SV as well so I know TWS is not making a large difference for these light casting weights) and Alphas Air. Steez SV is OK from 4g and up, for 2g you should for sure go Alphas Air, the Air is also better for 4g.

For casting 2g I strongly recommend Corzza 1/32-1/4 oz instead of the 1/16-1/4 you are considering. I haven't used 1/16-1/4 Corrza, but I have the Volkey with the same classification and it's far too stiff for 2g. I'm very happy with the combination of Alphas Air and Corrza 1/32-1/4 for casting 2-6g. It's also casting 8g well, but here Steez SV with Volkey 1/16-1/4 is better.

Agree

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue May 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote: Steez SV TW and G1 1012SV. It's perfect imo. I'll use a true finesse spool for split shot rigs with 6 lb fluoro.
I am using the same combo on a 3 power loomis MBR and it can cast a weightless trick worm (almost exactly 1/4oz with a 3/0 hook) pretty well. However, my other 3 power loomis has a sv105 on it and it casts the same lure a good bit more easily, so I think there is something too having a dedicated reel. I am curious now though and when it is time to respool the Steez/1012 I am going to stick some 6lb mono on there and put the reel through its paces on a light power rod. I do feel like it could do lower if I put it on a rod more suited for it. What rods have you used yours on?

Honestly I would jump in with a $60 DIY spool and see how low you really need to go. Fish it for a while and you will get a sense of what you really need. I was shocked when I got a small scale and started weighting my lures, most of my "finesse" stuff was at least 3/16oz and most was closer to 1/4oz. I fish a lot of plastics and they get heavy quickly. I have found that I really only need

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote: Steez SV TW and G1 1012SV. It's perfect imo. I'll use a true finesse spool for split shot rigs with 6 lb fluoro.
I am using the same combo on a 3 power loomis MBR and it can cast a weightless trick worm (almost exactly 1/4oz with a 3/0 hook) pretty well. However, my other 3 power loomis has a sv105 on it and it casts the same lure a good bit more easily, so I think there is something too having a dedicated reel. I am curious now though and when it is time to respool the Steez/1012 I am going to stick some 6lb mono on there and put the reel through its paces on a light power rod. I do feel like it could do lower if I put it on a rod more suited for it. What rods have you used yours on?

Honestly I would jump in with a $60 DIY spool and see how low you really need to go. Fish it for a while and you will get a sense of what you really need. I was shocked when I got a small scale and started weighting my lures, most of my "finesse" stuff was at least 3/16oz and most was closer to 1/4oz. I fish a lot of plastics and they get heavy quickly. I have found that I really only need
Custom Phenix K2 683ml. Use it every time out. Can cast whatever I want with the G1 1012SV spool.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:00 pm

abbor wrote:I have Steez SV (non TWS version, but I have T3 SV as well so I know TWS is not making a large difference for these light casting weights) and Alphas Air. Steez SV is OK from 4g and up, for 2g you should for sure go Alphas Air, the Air is also better for 4g.

The Steez SV103 and even SV105 are totally different reels with totally different spools than the Steez SV TW, with either the G1 1012 or 1016 for that matter.

rajiv97
Angler
Angler

Post by rajiv97 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:37 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:With the G1 1012SV on the right rod, I have no problem casting 1/16 oz plus small trailers very good distance. Same with the Zpi Nrc001-m. Being your wanting to go up to a quarter ounce, this might be better. Better line capacity, just don't fill the spool. If you were going with straight 1/16 oz and under, I'd say Alphas air. I use my Steez SV TW for finesse and power finesse duties only. Seems that's kinda what you are after. I do prefer a magnesium reel for this, but that's personal preference. Just bare in mind that if you go Alphas air and make a long cast with a quarter ounce, that leaves little line left should a big fish pick up your bait and make a run. I think you are after power finesse, and the G1 1012SV really shines in a new Steez platform for this. Super finesse all the time, Alphas air imo. I don't know what quarter ounce baits you will be using, but you might want to kick up the line diameter a notch. I use 8 lb Sunline Assassin. I throw everything from weightless finesse worms with a very small nail weight, to 3/16 oz wacky jig head and finesse worms with my Steez SV TW and G1 1012SV. It's perfect imo. I'll use a true finesse spool for split shot rigs with 6 lb fluoro.
Thanks for the input! I'll only be casting 2g very rarely. So it's not really a problem. I mainly want to be within the range of lets say 3.5g and above. Guess I might go for the alphas air since it's more suited ?

rajiv97
Angler
Angler

Post by rajiv97 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:39 am

just to clarify, My steez is a Steez A. Not the steez sv tws. I see, hopefully a retailer near me has the 1/32 - 1/4 oz in stock. I think I might go with the alphas. Decisions decisions ](*,)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:43 pm

If you can live with the limited line capacity, go for the Alphas Air. It will indeed cast ultra light stuff better. The G1 1012SV serves me well for 3/16 oz total weight, and just slightly under. You also have to consider the cost difference between a new 120 dollar spool, and a new 280 dollar reel. For me, I don't fish ultra light, and more importantly, I fish open water for smallmouth bass. So I let them run and tucker out. Only having 50 yards of line at best isn't the ideal for that situation.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Thu May 24, 2018 6:11 am

[quote="rajiv97"]

just to clarify, My steez is a Steez A. Not the steez sv tws.[/quote]

I saw you had Steez A, but I'm not aware of any Steez A without the TW system.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:33 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:If you can live with the limited line capacity, go for the Alphas Air. It will indeed cast ultra light stuff better. The G1 1012SV serves me well for 3/16 oz total weight, and just slightly under. You also have to consider the cost difference between a new 120 dollar spool, and a new 280 dollar reel. For me, I don't fish ultra light, and more importantly, I fish open water for smallmouth bass. So I let them run and tucker out. Only having 50 yards of line at best isn't the ideal for that situation.
But the 1012 still holds enough to do that right? That's been our best trips of the year this season, open sandbar flats for smallmouth.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:08 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:If you can live with the limited line capacity, go for the Alphas Air. It will indeed cast ultra light stuff better. The G1 1012SV serves me well for 3/16 oz total weight, and just slightly under. You also have to consider the cost difference between a new 120 dollar spool, and a new 280 dollar reel. For me, I don't fish ultra light, and more importantly, I fish open water for smallmouth bass. So I let them run and tucker out. Only having 50 yards of line at best isn't the ideal for that situation.
But the 1012 still holds enough to do that right? That's been our best trips of the year this season, open sandbar flats for smallmouth.
Definitely