Alphas air stream custom

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas air stream custom

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:14 am

Houndfish wrote:Looking at the Japan Tackle page for the ACS, it says this:
Freshwater only (ball bearings are all high precision stainless steel bearings, not anti-rust treated)
Is that all that is keeping the ACS from being salt-safe? I think I want to pick one up as part of my quest for the "Ultimate 1/8oz Inline Spinner and Spool Combo" but said combo will see most of it's use in brackish water. Right now I am using a Pixy and just trying to stay on top of flushing and drying it after every trip. I would love better performance and less worry.
I don't have an ASC but one look at that spool tells me that it struggles to hold enough line for 1/8oz inline spinners. The linear mag brake probably isn't the best thing either for aerodynamic 1/8+ oz baits either. It strikes me as a reel meant for the lighter weight UL baits that are difficult to cast. I throw 1/8 oz inline spinners and beetle spins and I really like the Ray's spools for that more so than my fixed inductor BFS spools. They hold enough line and the thin inductor and air brake allow the spool to scream and cast the baits really far. My Zonda BFS and to a lesser extent my Momo spool Black Max 3 get insta spooled throwing heavier areodymanic baits like an 1/8 oz inline spinner, beetle spins and 1/8 tiny traps.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:36 am

LowRange wrote:I don't have an ASC but one look at that spool tells me that it struggles to hold enough line for 1/8oz inline spinners. The linear mag brake probably isn't the best thing either for aerodynamic 1/8+ oz baits either. It strikes me as a reel meant for the lighter weight UL baits that are difficult to cast. I throw 1/8 oz inline spinners and beetle spins and I really like the Ray's spools for that more so than my fixed inductor BFS spools. They hold enough line and the thin inductor and air brake allow the spool to scream and cast the baits really far. My Zonda BFS and to a lesser extent my Momo spool Black Max 3 get insta spooled throwing heavier aerodynamic baits like an 1/8 oz inline spinner, beetle spins and 1/8 tiny traps.
The main use for the combo will be target casting from a kayak around docks and laydowns for white perch. Right now I am using a 5'4" Teton UL but want to go even shorter but maybe a bit more powerful for the rod. Easy one-handed casts while my attention is somewhat taken up by boat control is the goal. For longer casts I to find schools I use a spinning rod so I can just bomb them out parallel to the bank/cover and not care about fine accuracy. I want to run 6-8lb brain as I catch a lot of pickerel and schoolie stripers as bycatch and I want to be able to land them quickly in the summer as the stripers do not do well with long fights in hot water. I think if the ASC is rated at 40m of .204mm line I should be able to get plenty of braid on the spool for the fishing I want to do.

I am mainly interested in getting more easy and controlled casting. Right now I have a Ray's in my Pixy and I have not managed to get it dialed in how I want it and have never gotten it to preform well in any kind of wind. If the ASC spool ever becomes available for sale I would jump on it but I don't know if that is going to happen. I might glue the inductor on my Ray's and see how I like it.

I also want to use more small cranks for river/stream smallies and figured the ASC could pull double duty if it could stand the brackish water. I really like throwing small J5 and J7 Rapalas when hiking small creeks but don't have a compact combo that really does well with them, casting or spinning.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:43 am

If one handed casting to targets is your goal then the ASC should be great.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:04 pm

Freshwater only (ball bearings are all high precision stainless steel bearings, not anti-rust treated)
Is that all that is keeping the ACS from being salt-safe? I think I want to pick one up as part of my quest for the "Ultimate 1/8oz Inline Spinner and Spool Combo" but said combo will see most of it's use in brackish water. Right now I am using a Pixy and just trying to stay on top of flushing and drying it after every trip. I would love better performance and less worry.
Well, that and the perforated spool...
This is the way.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:24 am

poisonokie wrote:
Well, that and the perforated spool...
Does that really matter? The reel isn't getting dunked so any water that gets in would come off the line, which does not seem like it would be much. I am also not in super salty water, I mostly fish the tidal rivers in the 10-18 ppt range, so far less then ocean water.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:30 am

I don't know, I never fish in salt unless I'm on vacation using salt friendly travel stuff. I just know that there's a good chance you'll get down to bare arbor on a lot of casts and there will be at least some water intrusion since that arbor is full of holes. Since there are no moving parts on the spool, you're right, it probably won't matter.

That said, the Alphas Air is designed to do exactly what you're looking for, so I'd just get one of those.
This is the way.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:34 am

Houndfish wrote:
LowRange wrote:I don't have an ASC but one look at that spool tells me that it struggles to hold enough line for 1/8oz inline spinners. The linear mag brake probably isn't the best thing either for aerodynamic 1/8+ oz baits either. It strikes me as a reel meant for the lighter weight UL baits that are difficult to cast. I throw 1/8 oz inline spinners and beetle spins and I really like the Ray's spools for that more so than my fixed inductor BFS spools. They hold enough line and the thin inductor and air brake allow the spool to scream and cast the baits really far. My Zonda BFS and to a lesser extent my Momo spool Black Max 3 get insta spooled throwing heavier aerodynamic baits like an 1/8 oz inline spinner, beetle spins and 1/8 tiny traps.
The main use for the combo will be target casting from a kayak around docks and laydowns for white perch. Right now I am using a 5'4" Teton UL but want to go even shorter but maybe a bit more powerful for the rod. Easy one-handed casts while my attention is somewhat taken up by boat control is the goal. For longer casts I to find schools I use a spinning rod so I can just bomb them out parallel to the bank/cover and not care about fine accuracy. I want to run 6-8lb brain as I catch a lot of pickerel and schoolie stripers as bycatch and I want to be able to land them quickly in the summer as the stripers do not do well with long fights in hot water. I think if the ASC is rated at 40m of .204mm line I should be able to get plenty of braid on the spool for the fishing I want to do.

I am mainly interested in getting more easy and controlled casting. Right now I have a Ray's in my Pixy and I have not managed to get it dialed in how I want it and have never gotten it to preform well in any kind of wind. If the ASC spool ever becomes available for sale I would jump on it but I don't know if that is going to happen. I might glue the inductor on my Ray's and see how I like it.

I also want to use more small cranks for Riverview /stream smallies and figured the ASC could pull double duty if it could stand the brackish water. I really like throwing small J5 and J7 Rapalas when hiking small creeks but don't have a compact combo that really does well with them, casting or spinning.
I think it would be ok in the brackish water your fishing but so you know the Abu ALC-BF7 is a saltwater reel with a clicking drag and a lighter spool for less money.
I have both and love them both but would definitely use the ALC over kthe ASC for brackish waters. I live in southern Md and have a 4’6” light casting rod if your interested pm me.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Write up I did on the Alphas AIR Stream Custom: http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=80915
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:08 pm

mod squad wrote:Just received my custom stream. Handsome little reel. Again thanks Gone Phishin , your meme had me grinning until I received the reel. Man the spool is shallow, even more so than the regular Air.
PM Sent

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas air stream custom Handle needed

Post by E73Bass » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:10 pm

I just bent the hell out of my air stream carbon handle.

Any chance that anyone has the parts list from the owners manual and can get me a part number for the whole handle that includes the knobs ?

Thanks,
Eric Ledger
E73bass@aol.com (easier to reply to this email as I am not on TT as much anymore)

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:10 pm

E73Bass wrote:I just bent the hell out of my air stream carbon handle.

Any chance that anyone has the parts list from the owners manual and can get me a part number for the whole handle that includes the knobs ?

Thanks,
Eric Ledger
E73bass@aol.com (easier to reply to this email as I am not on TT as much anymore)
:shock: Nooooooooo!! I didn't think it was even possible to bend a CF handle.
This is the way.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:26 pm

poisonokie wrote:

Thanks,
Eric Ledger

Yep it’s bent... were you able to find a part number off the parts sheet for the handle ?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:10 pm

E73Bass wrote:
poisonokie wrote:

Thanks,
Eric Ledger

Yep it’s bent... were you able to find a part number off the parts sheet for the handle ?
I see part number 96 on my paperwork. I got a LH if it matters
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:32 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
E73Bass wrote:
poisonokie wrote:

Thanks,
Eric Ledger

I see part number 96 on my paperwork. I got a LH if it matters
Yea... I knew I needed to keep better track of that parts list.

Thanks to all... if anyone could translate the Japanese language part designated off the schematic for #96 and do a copy and paste into this I would really appreciate it: https://translate.google.com

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:58 am

Found the replacement handle here.

If you have the UPC code of Reel ...(JAN Code)
Did not have with me yesterday and came home and found it today off box and Digitaka website.

You put it in the search box and you get the Parts List...then just use Goodle Translate to confirm its correct.

http://www.sl-planets.co.jp/shop/p/p00614120/

https://translate.google.com/
Last edited by E73Bass on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.