Alphas air stream custom

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas air stream custom

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:39 am

These work great, too, and they're inexpensive, but they don't protect the handle.

This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:44 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:The covers from TW are great and fit most low-pro reels just fine. Inexpensive, too, especially when you are buying a bunch of other stuff you don't really need! :lol:
They fit 100 size round reels, too. The second set of photos I posted is of covers almost identical to the TW ones. The store is KDS on the auction site, I think.
This is the way.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:46 pm

Played just a bit and these reels are super smooth, now would they benefit from super tuning if possible? Haven’t dug into one to see what could be upgraded or smoothed out.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:24 am

How do you guys remove the knob covers without damaging them?

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:51 am

For anyone wanting to order the Neoprene case from Daiwa it is the Size S case I reached out to Japan Tackle for confirmation.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:58 am

Dalleinf wrote:How do you guys remove the knob covers without damaging them?
If you ever bought SLP Works knobs, they come with a wire tool.

Basically, take a safety pin or other small wire and bend the tip (about 1/10in) to a 90 degree angle. Insert the bent part in the hole and pull the cap off
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:05 am

Craigthor wrote:For anyone wanting to order the Neoprene case from Daiwa it is the Size S case I reached out to Japan Tackle for confirmation.
I don't know if the bait reel covers come in different sizes. Are you sure you're not looking at the spinning reel cover?
This is the way.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:23 am

poisonokie wrote:
Craigthor wrote:For anyone wanting to order the Neoprene case from Daiwa it is the Size S case I reached out to Japan Tackle for confirmation.
I don't know if the bait reel covers come in different sizes. Are you sure you're not looking at the spinning reel cover?
It was the bait covers they come in a S, M, and L maybe if you source from the US they are a one size but from the Japanese market they come in sizes. The S is a perfect fit.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:08 pm

I just bought a couple from a seller in Croatia. They're the same size as the one that comes with SV Lights and Steezes. I guess it's probably a medium? I don't know. You'll have to post a pic when you get yours. I'll probably follow suit.
This is the way.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:13 pm

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:32 am

Thanks. Okay, yeah, that's the one I have, too.
This is the way.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:41 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:How do you guys remove the knob covers without damaging them?
If you ever bought SLP Works knobs, they come with a wire tool.

Basically, take a safety pin or other small wire and bend the tip (about 1/10in) to a 90 degree angle. Insert the bent part in the hole and pull the cap off
Got myself two slp knobs - mainly for the tool :shock: as I almost couldn’t less about the Barbie and Ken knobs.
Tool works fine.
The unscrewing part did take some time and damage to the screws. Is there a particular screwdriver that you guys use for these screws?
I got myself some different wihas just for my Daiwa reels but I cannot say that any of them was a perfect fit.
Well, the operation was succesful in the end and the bearing installation definitely removed the knob-to-handle play (I have another ASC for comparison).
Last edited by Dalleinf on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:58 pm

^ Ignore ? As my Wiha 261P PH0*50 and PH1*60 fit on next reel. Issue was with loctite and tight screws. Ended up swapping bushings for bearings on 2*ASC, 1 alphas air and PX68... Some screws have seen better days now, but all reels benefitted with regard to less play and overall deliciousness... New cork knobs ended on my PX68.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:25 am

I’ve been considering some upgrades but boy does it add up fast... Really want to add some orange accents to my 2 ASC as it would match the rod. Also wondering if it would be worth upgrading to HH BFS bearings if I take it all apart.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 am

Looking at the Japan Tackle page for the ACS, it says this:
Freshwater only (ball bearings are all high precision stainless steel bearings, not anti-rust treated)
Is that all that is keeping the ACS from being salt-safe? I think I want to pick one up as part of my quest for the "Ultimate 1/8oz Inline Spinner and Spool Combo" but said combo will see most of it's use in brackish water. Right now I am using a Pixy and just trying to stay on top of flushing and drying it after every trip. I would love better performance and less worry.