Alphas air stream custom

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Alphas air stream custom

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:06 pm

That was because the Ito spool itself was more ported and lighter. Still a heavy spool by today's standards.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

filbertuk
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by filbertuk » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:28 am

Enquiry from the UK! I get that the ASC was designed for casting low weights , short distances in predominantly trout streams... I’m looking to cast up to 1/4 ounce max small cranks and ZMan Tubes / Bugz / Craws etc on my local river. I’m attracted to reviews of the smoothness of the cast with the ASC.... any thoughts appreciated!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:22 am

filbertuk wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:28 am
Enquiry from the UK! I get that the ASC was designed for casting low weights , short distances in predominantly trout streams... I’m looking to cast up to 1/4 ounce max small cranks and ZMan Tubes / Bugz / Craws etc on my local river. I’m attracted to reviews of the smoothness of the cast with the ASC.... any thoughts appreciated!
I would opt for the Alphas AIR. The reel has a little more line capacity.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

filbertuk
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by filbertuk » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:55 am

Cheers, will give that some thought - enjoyed both the vids you did on the Air Stream Custom 👍

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:09 am

filbertuk wrote:
What size rivers ? I guess target species are perch ? I could see the ASC do very well for perch in small UK rivers / canals, but as HWK noted, line capacity may be an issue on bigger rivers. I have both versions of the Alphas Air with different aftermarket spools and enjoy both - especially the ASC. If line capacity becomes a problem, you can get a DIY spool (and/or the Ize spool for ASC).

filbertuk
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by filbertuk » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:56 am

Perch and chub in the main - It’s a medium sized river (to me!) Thanks as well. Plenty to mull over..

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:10 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:17 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:59 am
Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm
It may be of interest to some: The Pixy Ize spool fits my Alphas Air Stream Custom, but the DIY spool did not.
Have you used the Pixy i'ze spool in the air stream custom?

If so did it perform the same as in a Pixy?

Thanks
Only briefly and it performed nicely as in my PX68: good control overall and stable casting with good handling of light lures when using the right rod. Distance is also good.. I do prefer the ASC standard spool for the very low weight stuff.
So the magnetic force combined with the PX68 finesse spool didn't have any issues? Not over braked, sticky or restricted in any way? Has anyone else used this reel with the PX68 finesse spool... Observations?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:27 pm

I did not find it overbraked/restricted, but as mentioned only used the combination briefly. I will have to try it again.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:33 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:27 pm
I did not find it overbraked/restricted, but as mentioned only used the combination briefly. I will have to try it again.
If you do, please let me know :big grin:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:29 am

filbertuk wrote:
I use those same baits on my Pixy Airy Red (Airy red spool in a Silver Mica) and can almost spool it of 20# braid with a 1/10 oz bed head and TRD which is the heaviest thing I throw. I would think that the ACS would not have nearly enough capacity for those baits. I would look at maybe an Aldebran 30 or Alphas 70 for new reels. I wish my Pixy was an Alphas 70 sometimes when I want to skip ned rigs. I have to put it down and tie one onto the Alphas SV.