Alphas air stream custom

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas air stream custom

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:07 pm

poisonokie wrote:Cool. I love those Presso rods.

It works great! More than enough line and casts for distance and accuracy with the 3.5g spoon and 1/32 jig+plastic I was using. The spoon liked the brakes at ~55% while the jighead needed 90-100%. Still casted just fine though, once I dialed it in. I've got some 2.8g spoons on the way I think will work great. That is definitely still a bass rod, though. It landed the little crappie just fine, but it could handle a lunker.
The trout rods load better to cast those lighter lures without whipping them. May be able to get more distance that way, seeing how the brakes have to be turned up to prevent the backlash from the whipping motion, which hinders distance more than normal because of the constant braking from the fixed inductor.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:27 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:The trout rods load better to cast those lighter lures without whipping them. May be able to get more distance that way, seeing how the brakes have to be turned up to prevent the backlash from the whipping motion, which hinders distance more than normal because of the constant braking from the fixed inductor.
They do, but I wanted a bass rod, anyway. I'll stick to my trout/panfish spinning combos for what little trout fishing I do. I know a stream or two full of gills and spots where that rod would shine.

Even with the brakes all the way up I think the braking force is so weak on that reel that it doesn't hinder things all that much. Just enough to tame the spool and still be able to cast super light weights. It's a fixed inductor, yeah, but it's not extended all the way. It looks to be closer to the in position. Maybe extended ~1/8" or so. Maybe with a full quarter ounce of aerodynamic hardbait you could go below 50% on the brakes, but on the right rod I think you'd spool it.
This is the way.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:58 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
poisonokie wrote:Cool. I love those Presso rods.

It works great! More than enough line and casts for distance and accuracy with the 3.5g spoon and 1/32 jig+plastic I was using. The spoon liked the brakes at ~55% while the jighead needed 90-100%. Still casted just fine though, once I dialed it in. I've got some 2.8g spoons on the way I think will work great. That is definitely still a bass rod, though. It landed the little crappie just fine, but it could handle a lunker.
The trout rods load better to cast those lighter lures without whipping them. May be able to get more distance that way, seeing how the brakes have to be turned up to prevent the backlash from the whipping motion, which hinders distance more than normal because of the constant braking from the fixed inductor.
Your right, but the presso 60L-B is as light as I want to go for a panfish/bass rod. It is rated for 1.5 to 5.0 g. I don't fish for trout. Haven't fished with this spool yet. The Presso AGS 60L-B rod is technically a trout rod, just not a ultralite rod.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:00 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:You guys are killing me... As if I needed anyother Alphas variant...
So what I am gathering is that this is performing better than the 16 Alderbaran?
I havent compared the 2 reels directly.

1. I no longer have the stock spool for my Aldebaran BFS
2. Its winter and the light lures do not like to cast with ice in the guides.

I do like the Alphas AIR Stream Custom. It will be used for "bigger" stream trout. I learned that an XUL moderate rod cant handle 9in brookies very well. The Silver Creek has the guts to steer and horse those fish and bigger. It will also see some panfish duties as well. My panfish lineup is like a mini bass lineup of sorts. :lol:

It has a place in my lineup. Ill give it more time before I sell the handle to recoup some of the money spent.
Thanks! How much real world smooth drag would you say this reel has?
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:10 pm

spencerinstl wrote:Here is where my air stream spool is going for now.
Let us know how it behaves in the PXR.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:15 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
It might be a while, but I will. What is the difference between the brakes in the PXR and the Air Stream Custom?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:25 pm

zodiak311 wrote: Thanks! How much real world smooth drag would you say this reel has?
It's a 4kg drag. Waaaaayyyyyyy more than would ever be necessary. It's smooth as silk, too.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:34 am

spencerinstl wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
It might be a while, but I will. What is the difference between the brakes in the PXR and the Air Stream Custom?
Not sure, but I was told that spool didn't act right in an OG Pixy, almost like the rotor was rubbing, which is why I asked.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:08 am

I have used the ASC spool in a PX68L with no issuse. Though, the DIY Pixy spool did rub in my ASC...

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:51 am

poisonokie wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:The trout rods load better to cast those lighter lures without whipping them. May be able to get more distance that way, seeing how the brakes have to be turned up to prevent the backlash from the whipping motion, which hinders distance more than normal because of the constant braking from the fixed inductor.
They do, but I wanted a bass rod, anyway. I'll stick to my trout/panfish spinning combos for what little trout fishing I do. I know a stream or two full of gills and spots where that rod would shine.

Even with the brakes all the way up I think the braking force is so weak on that reel that it doesn't hinder things all that much. Just enough to tame the spool and still be able to cast super light weights. It's a fixed inductor, yeah, but it's not extended all the way. It looks to be closer to the in position. Maybe extended ~1/8" or so. Maybe with a full quarter ounce of aerodynamic hardbait you could go below 50% on the brakes, but on the right rod I think you'd spool it.
In my opinion and judging from your pictures, I would say you have too much line on the spool. That overweight the spool making it sluggish and overpowers the breaks. If I remember correctly one fills the spool until it is one millimetre below the edge of the spool.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Was wondering does the Air Stream Custom have a taller magnet like the Megabass Zonda?

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Anyone have any info or spectulation if/when the ASC spool might become available on it's own?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:56 pm

Just grab a Ray's Studio spool for pixy. They're lighter than ASC spools and most likely gonna perform better for ultra light lures. But changing the stock bearing will be needed.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:34 pm

spencerinstl wrote:Was wondering does the Air Stream Custom have a taller magnet like the Megabass Zonda?
It does seem to be a pretty hefty magnet, yes, but the braking force is very weak.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:39 pm

SSS wrote:Just grab a Ray's Studio spool for pixy. They're lighter than ASC spools and most likely gonna perform better for ultra light lures. But changing the stock bearing will be needed.
It's actually .4 grams, deeper, and doesn't it have an SV type inductor? I hope someone gets both to find out, but I don't think it would compare.
This is the way.