Reel for XXX Black Themis

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
DelcoSol
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Reel for XXX Black Themis

Post by DelcoSol » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Hey guys, I have a new Black Themis on the way soon from Gary at TTT. I am planning on using is as kind of a mag BFS setup if you will. Nothing extremely light, mostly 1/8 jig plus keitech, tubes, ned rigs, weightless 4" senko. I was going to go with a Scorpion BFS or Alphas Air but the line capacity worries me and I don't really think a true BFS reel is needed. I have a curado 70 that I may spool with 8lb and try it but am open to suggestion. Gary recommended a super tuned TDZ 105 with bearings, polish etc. Would like to stay Shimano or Daiwa. I thought about looking for a PX-R but the line capacity might be an issue. I don't particuarly want to use braid.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Reel for XXX Black Themis

Post by Houndfish » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:12 pm

I have an Alphas finesse custom on mine and the stock spool will hold plenty of 7lb sniper, which is current line I'm trying on it. I think you're on the right track in thinking of it as more of a mag finesse rod, the action is quite fast and I don't find that it casts well at the low-end of its rating. 3/16oz and up is where it really shines, with a sweet spot around 5/16oz.

I think an Alphas is a good fit for the rod, lots of models to choose from. I am thinking of picking up an Air to put on mine as I think I should be changing my line out more often that I currently do and I think a super shallow spool will help encourage me to do so.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:07 am

Alphas/zonda/sol and any 50/51 shimano new or old :big grin: IMHO

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:24 am

Or that super tuned tricked out TD-Z with the TD-Z 105 spool in there :D
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:17 pm

I like the sound of that although I'm not a tdz aficionado =P~

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:18 pm

Now that ktf Alphas that would be hot :lol: :lol: :lol:

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:20 pm

I was looking for a rod for my Daiwa PX Type R since I took the Edge Black Widow it was on and put a Conquest BFS on it. After seeing this post, I looked it up and just ordered a Black Themis! Thanks alot TT, said with sarcasm... :lol:

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:41 pm

A pixzilla or Alphas variant would be nice. And the TD-Z 105 would excel as well. Such is our lot in life. Sigh.

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:00 am

I have the evolution model armed with an IS 73, MB honeycomb spool (11# shooter) & zpi bearings. Pop X machine. Tried my 'zilla & steez t-wing on the rod, but the '73 (super tuned by Dr. Shields) is just magic. Matter a fact it's a gas. Never tangled with a mega toad, but pinned a few 4#'s. Enjoy the stick.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:18 pm

I have an Alphas AIR spooled with 10# braid on mine and have been very happy with it.
Instagram @___bradb