Luxxe Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Luxxe Rods

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:00 pm

I will post some more pics this evening, but I would like to point out some the primary differences in the rods to the best of my knowledge.
6'7 M Oltre: 75,000 YEN, 115grams
7'0 MH Efreet: 53,000 YEN, 110 grams
I paid 125600 including shipping, so a bit of some savings.
The Oltre is certainly the prettier sister, but I would still marry the Efreet :lol:
The two primary claims to fame on the Efreet is the Torayca®" T 1100 G and the fact that it is supposed to have been made 100% in house. To be able to build it in house and utlize one of the most expensive types of blank material at a price point of 50k YEN, they had to cut somewhere. The most obvious cost savings is in the Stainless/SIC guide train as opposed to OLTRE's TI/Torzite. They saved a bit on the bottom handle portion utilizing EVA, saved a bit on a slightly less blingy reel seat and screw down nut. I don't know if the lack of a TI tip could be considered cost savings as the blank material in the EFREET is superior to the Oltre.

I own a couple of other $600 rods and I will say that the fit and finish on both of these Luxxe's are spectacular. The feel in hand is stellar. The balance point's on both of these rods with the >6oz IS's is on the tip of the screw down nut. Total weight on each combo is 9.5oz for the IS UC/Oltre without line and 9.6 oz for the Red Galaxy/Efreet with a full spool of braid.

More later for anyone who is interested.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:11 pm

rsz_couple.jpg
rsz_couple.jpg (273.11 KiB) Viewed 6356 times

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:10 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:I will post some more pics this evening, but I would like to point out some the primary differences in the rods to the best of my knowledge.
The Oltre is certainly the prettier sister, but I would still marry the Efreet :lol:
The two primary claims to fame on the Efreet is the Torayca®" T 1100 G and the fact that it is supposed to have been made 100% in house. To be able to build it in house and utlize one of the most expensive types of blank material at a price point of 50k YEN, they had to cut somewhere. The most obvious cost savings is in the Stainless/SIC guide train as opposed to OLTRE's TI/Torzite. They saved a bit on the bottom handle portion utilizing EVA, saved a bit on a slightly less blingy reel seat and screw down nut. I don't know if the lack of a TI tip could be considered cost savings as the blank material in the EFREET is superior to the Oltre.

I own a couple of other $600 rods and I will say that the fit and finish on both of these Luxxe's are spectacular. The feel in hand is stellar. The balance point's on both of these rods with the >6oz IS's is on the tip of the screw down nut. Total weight on each combo is 9.5oz for the IS UC/Oltre without line and 9.6 oz for the Red Galaxy/Efreet with a full spool of braid.

Count me in as interested, and am looking for on the water comparisons as a hloder of oltre shares and efreet poor.

You brought out my inner geek with "as the blank material in the EFREET is superior to the Oltre". What follows is the results of my inner geek screaming out WU-TANG and when keeping it real goes wrong. I am not by any means an expert on carbon/blank technology but have noticed similarities in the promotional material from Japanese high end rod manufacturers. None of which matters in terms of how a rod handles in actual fishing applications but I like to get what I pay for...

Per Toray there are 4 applicable products specific to fishing rods which use the "NanoAlloy" material. Resins 2573 and 2574 (T800SC/T1100GC). EG provides their metrics for each here:
https://www.evergreen-fishing.com/news_ ... _gt_rs.php
Toray products here:
http://www.torayca.com/en/download/pdf/prepreg.pdf
With references to fishing rods here (this seems dated):
http://nanoalloy.toray/product/application/app_004.html

It seems that you can find references to NanoAlloy in quite a bit of fishing advertising, both in high dollar and budget rods. Sticking with the enthusiast level gear there are references to "NanoAlloy" in each of the following:
Shimano Ultima (1610BFS):
http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/rod/3533
Evergreen RS:
https://www.evergreen-fishing.com/news_ ... are_rs.php
Steez Racing Design (as Nano Plus!):
http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/ro ... index.html
And both the Oltre and Efreet lines:
http://www.gamakatsu.co.jp/client/produ ... Code=24228
http://www.gamakatsu.co.jp/client/produ ... Code=24408

Then there seems to be a bunch of BS ad man lingo about the further tech which goes into the blanks ie (focusing more on the RD and Oltre line-ups):
Oltre "Techno Titanium Top"
Titanium type tip of solid type adopting β titanium. It became possible to install more delicate and high strength heads. At the same time, it realizes high sensitivity performance peculiar to metal materials.

Racing Design "SMT (Super Metal Top)" which adopts superelastic titanium alloy and realizes surprising sensitivity impossible with carbon material. It is a tubular (hollow) structure made of a super elastic titanium alloy that transmits vibrations for a long time, pursuing an ideal condition.

AND
Oltre "PCS (Power Cross System)"
By inserting high-strength carbon fiber in the direction of 45 ° in conventional direction from carbon biogenic direction, it strengthened the rigidity against twisting. By doing this, you can demonstrate the repulsive power and power of the entire rod without regret, and you can draw out the original potential of the rod nearly 100%.

Racing Design "X45"
Twist prevention is "45 °" optimal. Optimum structure for preventing twisting which revolutionizes power and operability. By winding DAIWA's unique bias cloth (such as carbon fiber skewed to ± 45 °) to the conventional structure (0 °, 90 ° to the rod tip), it prevents twisting, power, operability, sensitivity leap Improvement.

I'm going to make a leap here, and I will offer in advance that I have nothing to back this up with...
Focusing on what seemingly across all manufacturers is consistent in their advertising is the relationship to 45* weaving.
In the Toray product catalog for T1100G prepeg products there are 3 entries, and the two with "45" in product type have higher carbon count:
P17043G-10
P17045G-10
P17045G-12

From raw material to whatever processes the manufacturers use to create the end product, assuming I'm pulling from accurate Toray product pages... The raw material for a "T1100G" blank comes from 1 of 3 products. In looking at the carbon content and lack of "PCS" references in the efreet product page led me to believe that the efreet does not come from either P17045G-10 nor P17045G-12.

For terribly biased and unsubstantiated opinion I'd guess that the Steez RD is coming from the P17045G-10 and most other manufacturers are using the P17045G-12.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:23 am

^^^^^^This!
Looking forward to getting a break from work to really read and comprehend what you wrote here Drew. Looks like alot of great information.
My statement as it relates to the Toray Fiber was admittitedly a low information one almost based soley on the fact the most series of rods (esp. Evergreen) that I have seen with this techno are upward $600 plus.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:54 am

Here is some more blank technology for you to chew on Drew. Olympic Co. JP looks to be a substantial manufacturer of blank material in a variety of fields, Including a pretty stellar fishing rod line-up. They give some detailed information on sensitivity, reverberation ect on thier website. They have the Toray stamp, the Nano stamp and looks like a stamp of thier own called GMAPS. Interesting stuff, but I have yet to read all of the way through it.

http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/fishing/products/vigore/

http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/fishing/ma ... echnology/

http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/info/e_work.html

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:13 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:I will post some more pics this evening, but I would like to point out some the primary differences in the rods to the best of my knowledge.

This ^^^^^^!
WOW! This is why I love TT forum.
Talked once to a Japanese guy who fished FLW Tour as a co-angler. He had only Luxxe rods. I asked him why he uses Luxxe Oltre rods (I didn't know at this point how Gamakatsu is big in high-end market in Japan) since almost nobody in US have heard about them. He said he would rather buy Luxxe, Daiwa, Shimano high-end lines vs Megabass, by his opinion - Megabass is overrated/great marketing, and they don't have own production.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:25 pm

Cracker, I love my Megabass rods!!! Just branching out a bit.

I was admiring my T.S Poker next to the Oltre. Then again, looks are not everything and absolutly nothing to some people. (I have alot of friends with ugly wives!) But, you might be right. Yet to get these on the water, hopefully I can wear them out this weekend.

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:55 pm

Cracker wrote:

This ^^^^^^!
WOW! This is why I love TT forum.
Talked once to a Japanese guy who fished FLW Tour as a co-angler. He had only Luxxe rods. I asked him why he uses Luxxe Oltre rods (I didn't know at this point how Gamakatsu is big in high-end market in Japan) since almost nobody in US have heard about them. He said he would rather buy Luxxe, Daiwa, Shimano high-end lines vs Megabass, by his opinion - Megabass is overrated/great marketing, and they don't have own production.
I highly doubt that any of Gamakatsu, Daiwa, Shimano, Megabass have their own rod production facilities. Doesn't make sense in the global market, with modern supply chains. I'd be surprised that someone made it to FLW co-angler from across the big pond fishing .125-1.25OZ! Finally there is nothing overrated about my super Eiger(s).

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:Here is some more blank technology for you to chew on Drew. Olympic Co. JP looks to be a substantial manufacturer of blank material in a variety of fields, Including a pretty stellar fishing rod line-up. They give some detailed information on sensitivity, reverberation ect on thier website. They have the Toray stamp, the Nano stamp and looks like a stamp of thier own called GMAPS. Interesting stuff, but I have yet to read all of the way through it.

http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/fishing/ma ... echnology/

http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/info/e_work.html
Full circle, 12 year cycle...
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10872

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Haha..right. I did a search after I posted. Ive only been a member for about 6 months, but it's no surprise to me that I am a day late and a dollar short on information. :lol:

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:58 pm

drewlesch wrote:
I highly doubt that any of Gamakatsu, Daiwa, Shimano, Megabass have their own rod production facilities. Doesn't make sense in the global market, with modern supply chains. I'd be surprised that someone made it to FLW co-angler from across the big pond fishing .125-1.25OZ! Finally there is nothing overrated about my super Eiger(s).
The Japanese guy who I talked was sitting with his tackle in the bass boat of one of the American proangler right after they puuled the boat out of water, it was Day 2 Lake Lanier March tournament. I think everybody could fish FLW Tour as a co-angler as long as you pay $800 entrance fee.
It was his words about Megabass. We are living here in US don't hear much about many JDM brands, unless you read this forum.
For me it always interesting to talk to some Japanese anglers who are not affiliated to any Japanese brands.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:28 pm

Cracker wrote:
drewlesch wrote:
The Japanese guy who I talked was sitting with his tackle in the bass boat of one of the American proangler right after they puuled the boat out of water, it was Day 2 Lake Lanier March tournament. I think everybody could fish FLW Tour as a co-angler as long as you pay $800 entrance fee.
It was his words about Megabass. We are living here in US don't hear much about many JDM brands, unless you read this forum.
For me it always interesting to talk to some Japanese anglers who are not affiliated to any Japanese brands.

Right on Cracker. Fishing rods are like anything else, you listen to peoples opinion, take the good, the bad and make a decision for yourself. Value is subjective, many aspects of higher end rods and thier "goodness" are relative to the user. Regardless if they are JDM or otherwise. I like you enjoy talking with people of varied opinions and insight. Wish I had more Japanese friends!
Enjoy..
candy.jpg
candy.jpg (220.97 KiB) Viewed 6293 times

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:31 pm

drewlesch wrote:

Count me in as interested, and am looking for on the water comparisons as a hloder of oltre shares and efreet poor.

You brought out my inner geek with "as the blank material in the EFREET is superior to the Oltre". What follows is the results of my inner geek screaming out WU-TANG and when keeping it real goes wrong. I am not by any means an expert on carbon/blank technology but have noticed similarities in the promotional material from Japanese high end rod manufacturers. None of which matters in terms of how a rod handles in actual fishing applications but I like to get what I pay for...

Per Toray there are 4 applicable products specific to fishing rods which use the "NanoAlloy" material. Resins 2573 and 2574 (T800SC/T1100GC). EG provides their metrics for each here:
https://www.evergreen-fishing.com/news_ ... _gt_rs.php
Toray products here:
http://www.torayca.com/en/download/pdf/prepreg.pdf
With references to fishing rods here (this seems dated):
http://nanoalloy.toray/product/application/app_004.html

It seems that you can find references to NanoAlloy in quite a bit of fishing advertising, both in high dollar and budget rods. Sticking with the enthusiast level gear there are references to "NanoAlloy" in each of the following:
Shimano Ultima (1610BFS):
http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/rod/3533
Evergreen RS:
https://www.evergreen-fishing.com/news_ ... are_rs.php
Steez Racing Design (as Nano Plus!):
http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/ro ... index.html
And both the Oltre and Efreet lines:
http://www.gamakatsu.co.jp/client/produ ... Code=24228
http://www.gamakatsu.co.jp/client/produ ... Code=24408

Then there seems to be a bunch of BS ad man lingo about the further tech which goes into the blanks ie (focusing more on the RD and Oltre line-ups):
Oltre "Techno Titanium Top"
Titanium type tip of solid type adopting β titanium. It became possible to install more delicate and high strength heads. At the same time, it realizes high sensitivity performance peculiar to metal materials.

Racing Design "SMT (Super Metal Top)" which adopts superelastic titanium alloy and realizes surprising sensitivity impossible with carbon material. It is a tubular (hollow) structure made of a super elastic titanium alloy that transmits vibrations for a long time, pursuing an ideal condition.

AND
Oltre "PCS (Power Cross System)"
By inserting high-strength carbon fiber in the direction of 45 ° in conventional direction from carbon biogenic direction, it strengthened the rigidity against twisting. By doing this, you can demonstrate the repulsive power and power of the entire rod without regret, and you can draw out the original potential of the rod nearly 100%.

Racing Design "X45"
Twist prevention is "45 °" optimal. Optimum structure for preventing twisting which revolutionizes power and operability. By winding DAIWA's unique bias cloth (such as carbon fiber skewed to ± 45 °) to the conventional structure (0 °, 90 ° to the rod tip), it prevents twisting, power, operability, sensitivity leap Improvement.

I'm going to make a leap here, and I will offer in advance that I have nothing to back this up with...
Focusing on what seemingly across all manufacturers is consistent in their advertising is the relationship to 45* weaving.
In the Toray product catalog for T1100G prepeg products there are 3 entries, and the two with "45" in product type have higher carbon count:
P17043G-10
P17045G-10
P17045G-12

From raw material to whatever processes the manufacturers use to create the end product, assuming I'm pulling from accurate Toray product pages... The raw material for a "T1100G" blank comes from 1 of 3 products. In looking at the carbon content and lack of "PCS" references in the efreet product page led me to believe that the efreet does not come from either P17045G-10 nor P17045G-12.

For terribly biased and unsubstantiated opinion I'd guess that the Steez RD is coming from the P17045G-10 and most other manufacturers are using the P17045G-12.
I read this a few times and I'm not clear on what you are saying. Are there certain rods that claim to use the higher end materials in their blanks, but some aren't really as good as others? Just trying to understand what you are saying so I can buy the rod thats using the best materials for the $ :lol: . Which of the rods you mentioned are you getting the most out of what you are paying for in your opinion.
thanks,
Dom

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Beautiful combos! I've been tempted to pull the trigger on the oltre for a while now, but something hard to find has came up every time I consider placing my order. Would love to hear more feedback and comparisons of these once you wet a line or two.
Thanks,
Dom

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:50 pm

domthewon wrote:
I read this a few times and I'm not clear on what you are saying. Are there certain rods that claim to use the higher end materials in their blanks, but some aren't really as good as others? Just trying to understand what you are saying so I can buy the rod thats using the best materials for the $ :lol: . Which of the rods you mentioned are you getting the most out of what you are paying for in your opinion.
thanks,
Dom

Torayca®" T 1100 G , TI, and Torzite....all for $320

Now that looks like a bargin!