Daiwa Steez 661mfb-sv werewolf

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
airtreeswateranimals
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Steez 661mfb-sv werewolf

Post by airtreeswateranimals » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:35 am

does anyone have any experience with this rod? and does anyone know if these are still available in Japan or has it been discontinued? thanks

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Steez 661mfb-sv werewolf

Post by Sore Thumb » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:51 am

Try Plat.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:16 pm

The steez sv rods are very nice, but overpriced. If you are want a steez, I hear the AGS models are where its at these days.

I have a flanker which is similar to the werewolf but is 7 foot medium heavy. The flanker feels and fishes like a medium rod. It is very light and the action is somewhat moderate. I have is paired with a Steez sv, It is a great smaller topwater, crankbait rod. It is such a fun rod to fish with and it looks beautiful.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Like a user above said, try Plat, they have a square box next to the item which means they will check with the manufacturer to see if one is available. If so, expect to pay MSRP.
The Werewolf is primarily a bottom contact rod. I would compare it closely to a Machine Gun 1.5, with the MG 1.5 bieng a bit more versitile of a blank. You don't get the red though if that is a consideration. And the MG 1.5 is available below MSRP

https://japanlureshop.com/catalog/produ ... egory/488/

If you do have almost a grand to spend the 6'8 Racing Design AGS was modeled after the Werewolf, but 2 inches longer.
From the Daiwa Website
"He loves the taper of the current STEEZ 661 MFB-SV Wear Wolf and sends it to the angler who was awaked by BA-LTD 661 MRB-02 Warrant's sense of transcendence. Heavy down shot (= Heavydan) specialty is RD 681 M / MLFB"

None of the US AGS models have a similar profile to what you are looking for.

At less than $500, the Machine Gun 1.5 looks like the best available option.

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:48 pm

I have one, also have the MGC type 1.5. they are two completely different sticks. Let me know what questions you have.

airtreeswateranimals
Angler
Angler

Post by airtreeswateranimals » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:28 pm

4g63power wrote:I have one, also have the MGC type 1.5. they are two completely different sticks. Let me know what questions you have.
well im curious particularly about the werewolf. just basically your general overall thoughts about the rod. how it performs.
the tip/ action/ power etc. thanks for your time!

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lzeil » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:17 pm

i enjoy fishing my comp-x rods (skyray, f-spec, strike flanker), i would expect the werewolf to be comparable in feel. but the racing design rods are on a different level.

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:48 am

It falls somewhere between ml and m, imo it is more of a finesse rod with its unique fast/parabolic taper. Used with shallow spool/bfs reels, will handle the light stuff quite well. As for upper range, i think the sweet spots 3/8 oz total weight. Don't be fooled by its short length, it casts exceptionally well. Keep in mind that this rod was released many years ago before daiwa started adding all these new technologies. Very light, comfortable, sensitive and well built. If you like short rods for fun fishing, i think the werewolf will definitely satisfy you.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:56 am

I had the werewolf and loved it when I had it but it's not a stout rod at all and it bends easy. I used it for 1/4oz jigs and even crankbaits. Probably one of the most sensitive rods I used but I generally did not throw finesse stuff as much.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:29 am

I just have to say Japanese really have great names for their products 8-) 8-) I mean how badarce to have a rod name werewolf!! I would own that thing just for the name alone :big grin:

airtreeswateranimals
Angler
Angler

Post by airtreeswateranimals » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:49 pm

lzeil wrote:i enjoy fishing my comp-x rods (skyray, f-spec, strike flanker), i would expect the werewolf to be comparable in feel. but the racing design rods are on a different level.

what do you think about the skyray? how do you like it? how does it fish? thats one that has been catching my eye as well.

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lzeil » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:19 pm

airtreeswateranimals wrote:
lzeil wrote:i enjoy fishing my comp-x rods (skyray, f-spec, strike flanker), i would expect the werewolf to be comparable in feel. but the racing design rods are on a different level.
what do you think about the skyray? how do you like it? how does it fish? thats one that has been catching my eye as well.
no complaints, i typically use it for the small lakes/ponds around town, its versatile enough for me to use small poppers, crankbaits, spinnerbaits and plastics (1/8oz is my preferred lure weight), that goes for both the original and racing design skyrays. definitely a fun stick when you hook up.