2 Piece JDM Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

2 Piece JDM Rods

Post by rollyourboat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:38 am

Hi guys fairly new to the forum. Have done quite a bit of research on 2 piece rods but can't find a answer I'm satisfied with :-k

So let me ask to any of the guys with JDM rods that are two piece specifically where the blank goes in the handle, is there a noticeable difference in either weight, sensitivity, durability, etc? I know that technology is different than it was back then but I still haven't held on in my own hand and mentally I don't know if I can handle using a two piece rod so i just want some feedback or reassurance. Any info would be helpful!

rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Re: 2 Piece JDM Rods

Post by rollyourboat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:40 am

Another reason I ask is because as you all probably know anything over 6'10-6'11 is basically a two piece rod and I'm planning getting a few of the longer shimano rods

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:26 am

My opinion is that blindfolded, a very experienced fisherman would have a hard time telling any difference. Theoretically, 1 piece should be a touch more sensitivity. Theoretically. I don't think there will be durability difference as I do not hear of rods breaking at the ferrule. And 2 piece may be less prone to accidental damage as they are easier to transport.

rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Post by rollyourboat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:54 am

I was also worried about it coming off on casts or fighting a fish? How secure is the locking mechanism?

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:28 am

I have a Shimano Poison Glorious two piece and it will not come apart unless I put it on ice for a while so there ain’t a chance that it would separate on a cast. The locking mechanism on mine is push it in as far as it will go and that’s it.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:49 pm

rollyourboat wrote:I was also worried about it coming off on casts or fighting a fish? How secure is the locking mechanism?
The rods that have this happen is what you'd find in your local walmart. A cheap Shimano (like the Compre) or a cheap Fenwick HMG/HMX will most likely give you the "**** my 2nd piece flew to the other side of the lake". You will never have this happen on "proper" rods. On something like the Hyuga, Orochi, Zodias, Expride, Poison Adrena (these are a few of the 2pc models i own/owned and know from exprience they have never came apart while fishing). And you don't even need to put them thightly.

If you have an older rod that has this coming off on a cast problems, get yourself the Smith Rod Ferule Wax. Works great.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:55 pm

I am using 4 piece rods without issues. Non have come apart during use and with current rod design there is no flat spots and they fish like a 1 piece, I don't see the need for 1 piece as there is no real advantage to them anymore. the rods I use are Bone rods but Major Craft have plenty of 2 piece models in there range which I have used with out issues.

rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Post by rollyourboat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:30 pm

Sounds to me that I can rest assured that modern 2 piece rods are essentially the same if not better than 1 piece now. Thanks guys!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:05 pm

rollyourboat wrote:Sounds to me that I can rest assured that modern 2 piece rods are essentially the same if not better than 1 piece now. Thanks guys!
I wouldn't necessarily say they're the same, but pretty dang close. Definitely not better. I have a few 2 piece Jackall Poison Adrenas, and if I don't think about it and just fish, I forget it's 2 pieces. One thing to keep in mind is that tapers may be a slight bit different than the 1 piece equivalent.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:08 pm

Yes, good point - slight difference in taper generally but very slight.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:06 pm

The type that insert into the handle are stellar. You will have no worries.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Tokugawa wrote:The type that insert into the handle are stellar. You will have no worries.
Agree with this. X7’s are at the top of the list for most sensitive Megabass Rods, and the longer ones are all 2 piece inserted in the handle. Still my favorite series from them by far.
Dom

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:11 am

Does anyone on TT have the MB Heritage 2pc rods? Its literally impossible to find any info on these things. I read on MB jp site (with google translate) that their sensitivity is better than the X7 lineup.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Everything that I have read indicates that at the time they took the best attributes from existing rods and put it all together in a Heritage. KABT from Orochi, Yoloy from X7, Ace from Arms, Blank technology from Destroyer, Carbon Handle, I am assuming TT guides.
They make a 1 piece model as well. Considering the conglomeration I am sure they are stellar rods. Have had them in my cart a couple of times but could not swallow the canary yellow handle on the one action that I wanted.

Would be good to hear from anyone who has had the pleasure.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:38 pm

Making my rounds on the JP websites I come across these 2-peice gems

https://www.divisionrebeltackles.com/artex

DRT making a couple of semi-custom line of big bait rods.
One line based on an Artex blank, with a price tag of around $2K+
One line based on an NFC blank, with a price tag of around $1K+

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m298182654

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsear ... 084005512/

Most expensive rods I have ever seen...