Valkyrie Rods-Megabass

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Valkyrie Rods-Megabass

Post by bassm1n » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:50 am

Did I miss it but I can't find which way the spiral wrap are wrapped around the rod. As I am holding the rod to cast as a left hander do they wrap to my right clockwise which is what I prefer or to the right counterclockwise which fits right handers better.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Valkyrie Rods-Megabass

Post by bassm1n » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:13 am

From the one picture in the article looks like they are setup to the left for right handed casters. That saves me a 1000.00.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:07 pm

I can confirm that is how my 71h is set up

lds922
Angler
Angler

Post by lds922 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:37 pm

TT's review mentions the glass-feel to some of the models....I asked this in the other thread but since this is at the top now I'll ask again.

Is one of MH or H models a glass chatterbait-type rod? Similar to the Dobyns 736 CB Glass, Zillion 72MH-G, or the Evergreen Jackhammer rods? I know not much is known, so I don't expect too much yet...But that would be a cool addition to the MB lineup, one that doesn't really exist as far as I know.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:36 am

bassm1n wrote:Did I miss it but I can't find which way the spiral wrap are wrapped around the rod. As I am holding the rod to cast as a left hander do they wrap to my right clockwise which is what I prefer or to the right counterclockwise which fits right handers better.
From the pic in the review, it looks like the first stripping guide is centrally mounted so not sure if it really matters.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:14 pm

All MB spiral today to date spiral left. I imagine these would follow suit and that is what the picture shows. For a spiral wrap, the stripper guide is always on top of the blank regardless of wrap direction.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:16 pm

bassm1n wrote:Did I miss it but I can't find which way the spiral wrap are wrapped around the rod. As I am holding the rod to cast as a left hander do they wrap to my right clockwise which is what I prefer or to the right counterclockwise which fits right handers better.
When done properly, the wrap goes to the same side as the reel handle.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:09 pm

lds922 wrote:TT's review mentions the glass-feel to some of the models....I asked this in the other thread but since this is at the top now I'll ask again.

Is one of MH or H models a glass chatterbait-type rod? Similar to the Dobyns 736 CB Glass, Zillion 72MH-G, or the Evergreen Jackhammer rods? I know not much is known, so I don't expect too much yet...But that would be a cool addition to the MB lineup, one that doesn't really exist as far as I know.
I have not fished any of the glass rods you mention to date. I have been fishing the valkerie 71h for a bit. It has handled bladed jig duties splendidly in my hands. It does well with heavy single hook moving baits very well in general. It does have much more give in the initial third of the rod than the "new destroyer" F6 super destroyer; only heavy new destroyer I've fished. Below I copy some thoughts I wrote someone who wanted input through PM. I copy and paste out of laziness.

-------------------

I like the rod a lot. Right now the 71h and conquest 904 is all I’ve taken out with me every day since around mid September, if memory serves me right. I don’t quite remember when Gary shipped it. I ordered it before he had it up on his website. Initially, I was frogging with it when the vegetation on the lakes I fish was not quite dead and I could still get them to attack on top. But, it’s versatility for me quickly became apparent. Initially, it felt like a little overkill when I was catching mainly dinks with it. But now that the big girls have started showing up regularly as it’s become cooler in FL, it has exactly the type of power I look for this time of year. I have had glass rods before and it does not feel exactly like the glass rods if fished before, so my opinion of the rod is not exactly the same as the TT review. It does have noticeably more action in the tip of the rod than the 17 f6 super destroyer, which were ultra stiff (I broke 2 on hookset). This rod won’t break. I set the hook hard with a no-drag deps dr-zx on a 5# that ate a moving single hook bait on the bottom in one of those instances where it felt like a hit a snag. I then pulled it out with another half pound of salad and it was fairly effortless. I can only assume a third super destroyer would have snapped. Right now I’m mainly using it for 3/16 oz owner underspins with an off brand skinny dipper style swimbait, 3/4-1/2 oz swimjigs with fairly large plastics and 1/2oz or heavier bladed swim jigs with big plastics. I’m fishing shallow lakes. 6-8 feet is way deep. It handles frogs on top very well and has a perfect tip for them, but I’m enjoying it swimming single hook moving baits right above on the bottom. It’s plenty sensitive. It fishes very different than the cq 904 and I’m not the best at estimating sensitivity, but the conquest seems more sensitive. It’s not dramatic. It’s noticeably more sensitive than a poison adrena, another one I compared head to head. And it feels right in the same range as new destroyers. I would have to take it out with other rods because like I said it’s hard for me to judge and in my hands rod balance affects my perception of sensitivity. I’ve paired it with the deps, a zillion 100hshlr, and a zillion sv tv. It balances fairly well to me with both despite the 40 g weight difference between reels. I suppose I could try to so see if it would balance better with a slightly shortened handle configuration for the sv, but I like the handle fully extended for leverage. The sv has stuck on it because I’m slowly transitioning to sv reels because I like them better. But the deps will probably return during spawn because this rod was made to lock down the drag and go in hot. I like the rod a lot. Is it worth 500? I don’t know. I guess they deserve to get paid for the r and d, but the prominent made in China sticker on it suggested to me that perhaps it could have been sold at a slightly more reasonable price. I’ve got it pretty bad though and had to have it and don’t regret it one bit.

lds922
Angler
Angler

Post by lds922 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:00 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
lds922 wrote:TT's review mentions the glass-feel to some of the models....I asked this in the other thread but since this is at the top now I'll ask again.

I have not fished any of the glass rods you mention to date. I have been fishing the valkerie 71h for a bit. It has handled bladed jig duties splendidly in my hands. It does well with heavy single hook moving baits very well in general. It does have much more give in the initial third of the rod than the "new destroyer" F6 super destroyer; only heavy new destroyer I've fished. Below I copy some thoughts I wrote someone who wanted input through PM. I copy and paste out of laziness.

-------------------

I like the rod a lot. Right now the 71h and conquest 904 is all I’ve taken out with me every day since around mid September, if memory serves me right. I don’t quite remember when Gary shipped it. I ordered it before he had it up on his website. Initially, I was frogging with it when the vegetation on the lakes I fish was not quite dead and I could still get them to attack on top. But, it’s versatility for me quickly became apparent. Initially, it felt like a little overkill when I was catching mainly dinks with it. But now that the big girls have started showing up regularly as it’s become cooler in FL, it has exactly the type of power I look for this time of year. I have had glass rods before and it does not feel exactly like the glass rods if fished before, so my opinion of the rod is not exactly the same as the TT review. It does have noticeably more action in the tip of the rod than the 17 f6 super destroyer, which were ultra stiff (I broke 2 on hookset). This rod won’t break. I set the hook hard with a no-drag deps dr-zx on a 5# that ate a moving single hook bait on the bottom in one of those instances where it felt like a hit a snag. I then pulled it out with another half pound of salad and it was fairly effortless. I can only assume a third super destroyer would have snapped. Right now I’m mainly using it for 3/16 oz owner underspins with an off brand skinny dipper style swimbait, 3/4-1/2 oz swimjigs with fairly large plastics and 1/2oz or heavier bladed swim jigs with big plastics. I’m fishing shallow lakes. 6-8 feet is way deep. It handles frogs on top very well and has a perfect tip for them, but I’m enjoying it swimming single hook moving baits right above on the bottom. It’s plenty sensitive. It fishes very different than the cq 904 and I’m not the best at estimating sensitivity, but the conquest seems more sensitive. It’s not dramatic. It’s noticeably more sensitive than a poison adrena, another one I compared head to head. And it feels right in the same range as new destroyers. I would have to take it out with other rods because like I said it’s hard for me to judge and in my hands rod balance affects my perception of sensitivity. I’ve paired it with the deps, a zillion 100hshlr, and a zillion sv tv. It balances fairly well to me with both despite the 40 g weight difference between reels. I suppose I could try to so see if it would balance better with a slightly shortened handle configuration for the sv, but I like the handle fully extended for leverage. The sv has stuck on it because I’m slowly transitioning to sv reels because I like them better. But the deps will probably return during spawn because this rod was made to lock down the drag and go in hot. I like the rod a lot. Is it worth 500? I don’t know. I guess they deserve to get paid for the r and d, but the prominent made in China sticker on it suggested to me that perhaps it could have been sold at a slightly more reasonable price. I’ve got it pretty bad though and had to have it and don’t regret it one bit.
Thanks! Based on that the 71H sounds like it's might be a little too heavy for 3/8 chatters, but maybe the 71MH would fit the bill? I guess we'll all know more as more people use them adn use different models, thanks for the detailed review!

capesmallie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capesmallie » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:15 am

I got the 7’2” heavy and it’s not spiral wrapped and it’s a beast. I was really surprised how stout it was and for a hybrid glass/graphite rod it is pretty sensitive. Have not fished it much so far but it was handling 1/2&3/4 oz chatters with 5” gambler ez swimmer trailers with ease. If I wasn’t spoiled by x7’s and NRX’s I would be using this rod for football jigs. Again it has a ton of power you could frog easily with it and I wouldn’t hesitate to pitch a 3/4 oz weight with a creature bait into some heavy cover. Very interesting rod for sure looking forward to hearing about other models

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Tokugawa wrote:All MB spiral today to date spiral left. I imagine these would follow suit and that is what the picture shows. For a spiral wrap, the stripper guide is always on top of the blank regardless of wrap direction.
Some builders place the stripper guide on top & some place it 15 degrees to the left or right of top dead center depending on spiral wrap right or left.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:02 am

One heavy set up for this coming spawn has now earned a slot on the team. Cold front really slowed things down. 2.5 hours on the water; no bites. Pull into dock and throw into the some mats; 3 casts and one bite for the evening. Proved enough to make the team.
Attachments
IMG_8352.jpg
IMG_8352.jpg (74.59 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
IMG_8355.jpg
IMG_8355.jpg (132.31 KiB) Viewed 5609 times

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:37 am

dhottle wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:All MB spiral today to date spiral left. I imagine these would follow suit and that is what the picture shows. For a spiral wrap, the stripper guide is always on top of the blank regardless of wrap direction.
Some builders place the stripper guide on top & some place it 15 degrees to the left or right of top dead center depending on spiral wrap right or left.
Agreed. :big grin: My customs are that way. That is a great idea when the builder knows which side the reel handle will be on.

MB puts the stripper guide at zero degrees for flexibility in handedness.

Polk - nice fish! How do they feel under load?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:06 am

Tokugawa wrote:
dhottle wrote:
Agreed. :big grin: My customs are that way. That is a great idea when the builder knows which side the reel handle will be on.

MB puts the stripper guide at zero degrees for flexibility in handedness.

Polk - nice fish! How do they feel under load?

The tip is what I like best. Stout enough to work bait on top when needed, but nice forgiving tip when hit. Most of my hookups with it have come on frog hooks or single hooks where I have to wait just that little bit to set and I have not pulled out too soon with it yet. Now that I’m catching 2# and heavier with it consistently I have found that it’s a true MF and not closer to FF as I had initially thought when catching dinks. Have no idea if the wrap does anything to help me or it’s just in my head, but I’ve been dragging fish out of grass and boat or dock flipping doing my best Gong Lei impressions with relative ease.