ZPI M or 1012 g1

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

ZPI M or 1012 g1

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:16 am

The primary reel I would use this spool in is a Steez A, although I might switch into my IS's or Steez LTD if the A's braking can't be compensated.
Looks as though both of these spools are about the same weight and hold about the same capacity of line. Primary lure range would be 5-10 grams. X-80 jr's, 110 jr's, griffons, and neds.
I am looking for distance and control.

Wonder if anyone has done a serious comparison of these spools and what areas they excel. I will eventually get both and a KTF finesse which is slightly shallower and do a serious comparison, but I am going to start with one of these 2 because they are available.

Thanks all

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ZPI M or 1012 g1

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:41 am

I've done extensive testing with both spools. Why? Because they're my two favorite spools haha. Semi shallow spools are pretty much all I roll with these days. For older platforms such as the OG Steez, I use the Steez SV105 spools. Anyways -
G1 1012SV - While it offers a somewhat stronger braking profile which indeed equates to better control, as with most non modded SV spools, it can lack consistency.
Zpi - Fixed rotor, incredible consistency, enough added distance to consider it worthwhile in that regard. Not wild at all in the platforms it was made for. The perfect blend of everything, making it my spool of choice.
I'd rate the G1 a an 8.5, and the Zpi a 9.75. Again, this is all based on my preferences, according to what and how I fish. YMMV

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:05 pm

1012 G1 - Nice.
ZPI M - Very nice.
In another thread w. ongoing activity, Barramaniac writes that Steez A plus ZPI M is a fantastic combination...I have the spool....

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:07 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:I've done extensive testing with both spools. Why? Because they're my two favorite spools haha. Semi shallow spools are pretty much all I roll with these days. For older platforms such as the OG Steez, I use the Steez SV105 spools. Anyways -
G1 1012SV - While it offers a somewhat stronger braking profile which indeed equates to better control, as with most non modded SV spools, it can lack consistency.
Zpi - Fixed rotor, incredible consistency, enough added distance to consider it worthwhile in that regard. Not wild at all in the platforms it was made for. The perfect blend of everything, making it my spool of choice.
I'd rate the G1 a an 8.5, and the Zpi a 9.75. Again, this is all based on my preferences, according to what and how I fish. YMMV
Man, I love this site. I also love that SLP Steez SV105 spool. I don't have a whole lot of time with it, but it's the perfect balance of control and distance.
This is the way.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:28 pm

Dalleinf wrote:1012 G1 - Nice.
ZPI M - Very nice.
In another thread w. ongoing activity, Barramaniac writes that Steez A plus ZPI M is a fantastic combination...I have the spool....
That was Strewth that wrote that, I don't have any ZPi spools but do have the Steez 1016G1 SV, Zillion 1016G! SV and 1012G1 SV SLP spools and all are great spools. I have only used the 1012SV G1 SLP for down to about 6 grams and it is fantastic.
Strewth also has a megabass IS finesse spool he has said works well in the Steez A

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:50 pm

All good to know and thank you for the info. I am going to press ahead with a ZPI M to start out with and aquire a G1 1012 wehn I get a chance and the KTF Finesse when they become available.

I barely missed out on a KTF tuned G1 1012 that was specially shimmed to increase performance listed on Karil.

http://www.karil.co.jp/online_shop/sys/ ... R-G1C-1012

There was also G1 1016 with similar modification still available last time I checked. I would be interested to see what kind of magic he is trying to create with those stock spools. I am mostly interested in getting the my hands on that KTF finesse though.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:27 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:1012 G1 - Nice.
ZPI M - Very nice.
That was Strewth that wrote that, I don't have any ZPi spools but do have the Steez 1016G1 SV, Zillion 1016G! SV and 1012G1 SV SLP spools and all are great spools. I have only used the 1012SV G1 SLP for down to about 6 grams and it is fantastic.
Strewth also has a megabass IS finesse spool he has said works well in the Steez A
Sorry. I apologise. Aussie mix-up... You both provide solid input.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:41 pm

To add to the confusion SLP have just released a 1012 G1 magforce Z spool as well. There is a short video clip on the SLP WORKS youtube channel

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:17 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:The primary reel I would use this spool in is a Steez A, although I might switch into my IS's or Steez LTD if the A's braking can't be compensated.
Looks as though both of these spools are about the same weight and hold about the same capacity of line. Primary lure range would be 5-10 grams. X-80 jr's, 110 jr's, griffons, and neds.
I am looking for distance and control.

Wonder if anyone has done a serious comparison of these spools and what areas they excel. I will eventually get both and a KTF finesse which is slightly shallower and do a serious comparison, but I am going to start with one of these 2 because they are available.

Thanks all
I have both and used them a lot for 5-21g lures (but only with braid). Can’t go wrong with either as they excellent spools in the Steez A. The ZPI M is an oustanding all rounder with great control and distance. I have not used it for finesse work as it takes about 130m of 0.28 mm braid. I use the 1012 regularly for throwing 1/8 jigs using 6lb fireline ultra, along with the Megabass IS Fineese spool, and they both perform very similarly. I run the ZPI spools with the supplied ZPI SIC bearings and Smith IOS-1 lube, while the 1012 uses stock bearings flushed withTSI 321. I use only braid with a mono leader, so I cant comment on their relative performance for other types of lines.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:02 pm

Just brought a ZPI -M spool
Not sure where to stuff it though, maybe the IS73 reel that I have.
But hopefully no matter where it goes I get good results. The tackle trap
has superb shipping so it shouldn’t be long. I’ve waited long enough before trythe spool
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:12 pm

goldrod wrote:Just brought a ZPI -M spool
Not sure where to stuff it though, maybe the IS73 reel that I have.
But hopefully no matter where it goes I get good results. The tackle trap
has superb shipping so it shouldn’t be long. I’ve waited long enough before trythe spool
It performs best in the Steez SV TW, Steez A, and Zillion SV TW. It's pretty good in the Tdz platform, but a little fast for my likings. The PG is a better fit for older platforms imo

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
I’ll give it a shot. I don’t have any TWS reels neither a Steez a
So I will just have to see.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:06 pm

Goldrod, Let me know how it works in that IS platform, that is one of my options.

What size line do you plan on using and what are your intended weight ranges for casting with the spool?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:51 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:Goldrod, Let me know how it works in that IS platform, that is one of my options.

What size line do you plan on using and what are your intended weight ranges for casting with the spool?
I certainly will and it’s most definitely going in the IS73.
It’s mounted on a gen one cumara rod 6’8” medium heavy
I’ll probably put 10-12 pound test line on it and see how it cast various lures Topwater and bottom contact baits

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:Goldrod, Let me know how it works in that IS platform, that is one of my options.

I found the ZPI PG and M spool to be extremely fast in an OG Steez. If I set the Mags beneath 7 then I better be on my A-Thumb game. It was too much work for my liking. I love them in the newer reels though. Steez A, Steez SV TW, Zillion 1016 they are money. Just for the record I do like using a 103 spool in my OG reels and have no problem with that set up. It will be interesting to see what your impression is of the Zpi spool in an IS.