Back in the game new Steez vs. old

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

Back in the game new Steez vs. old

Post by DetroitBassN » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:58 am

Hey all I’m back after a long while to the JDM scene. I bought the first JDM Steez 103HL years ago and see the new steezs out. In short what did they upgrade with the new ones? I’d never part with the one I have but I was thinking about upgrading the spool if possible. Recommendations? Where to buy?? My drag could probably use a new one too, I’ve landed some pigs with this reel. Thanks all

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Back in the game new Steez vs. old

Post by JigginOG » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:23 pm

New:
Higher gear ratios, brass gears in the EX 7.9 model, new material Zaion, SV spool, T Wing, lighter G1 gears in tw models, aluminum frame and side plate on Steez a.

Upgrades to consider:
Carbontex drag, SV spool, G1 1016 spool or ZPI spool, ZPI or Hedgehog spool bearings, 90mm-100mm aluminum or carbon handle.

Most can be found from the good fellas at The Tackle Trap.

DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

Post by DetroitBassN » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:34 pm

From one goodfella to another thank you sir

DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

Post by DetroitBassN » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:36 pm

I’m all magnesium and brass JDM stamped

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:45 am

Jeez I typed in this whole reply, hit preview to review, and it f***ing disappeared. I hate this forum sometimes... :evil:

Anyway, I have several OG Steez, 100's and 103's. IMO Still very very relevant today, even without the latest innovations like TWS and SV. In fact most of my moving bait rods (Doybns DX and GLX MBR's) have OG Steez or TD-Z's on them. They are solid, high end reels - light, smooth, and tough.

However, the grass is always greener right? Picked up a few of the new models - two 8.1 and one 7.1 Steez A's, and one Steez SV TW. Put in a few upgrades - Zillion 1016SV G1 spools in the A's, 90mm handle plus a gear upgrade in the SV TW. No drag or bearing changes yet (other than adding handle bearings to the A's) since these are still in "evaluation mode" really :). I'm using these on my bottom contact rods - 893/894/873/854.

Differences - mainly construction, TWS, and SV. TWS of course everyone knows the benefits, it does make the reel slightly wider in the hand, but it's still comfortable to palm. The "open side" design imo makes the mag adjuster harder to adjust. Not hard, just harder than the OG style. Since I am using these for pitching/flipping/punching/etc - not sure how much TWS is helping me here, but it can't hurt. As for the SV - I'm not a fan of SV on true casting applications - too much distance disadvantage in SV spools imo for experienced users, except maybe in extreme finesse or windy situations. But for short line presentations they do excel. I do find I see less "soft line" on the spool as the day goes on vs normal spools as well. The SV spools also hold less line, so I don't bother fussing with laying down any backing like I would on a normal deep spool.

As for feel, no one could call the OG Steez's geary feeling, but the newer model almost make them seem so - the new model feels like you are reeling... "in butter" lol for lack of a better word. It's hard to describe - it almost feels like you are not pulling in any line, but of course you are. It's just so...smooth. Almost disarming at first, but you adjust to it, and then when you pick of any other reel you appreciate the difference even more.

A few dislikes - silly that one must add handle bearings to a $450 MSRP reel (Steez A). Also the 80mm handle on the SV TW model... does anyone use 80mm handles anymore? And the drag star is Zaion, but just feels cheap if you are used to an aluminum one on the OG's.

Is/was it worth it? Hard to say. First off, if one is looking at the Steez in the first place over say a Tat SV, Zillion SV or Curado DC, MGL, or similar - I'll assume the cost is not a mitigating factor. That being said, if one already has a few OG's in good shape, is an experienced user, and doesn't need a new reel for a specific reason or setup, then I'd say no - there is nothing I can do with the new model I can't do with the OG. But, if you are putting together a new combo, or want to upgrade to the Aluminum model for brackish water concerns, or are just replacing and older worn out reel, then I would say yes. But, be warned, if you buy one, more will surely follow - trust me :).
Last edited by 78Staff on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

Post by DetroitBassN » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:04 am

Lol thanks for taking the time to post. It use to be on an old Elseil. I fish it as my main rig it gets pounded on every year but keeps running smooth. I took it apart only once to regrease and oil everything boy all them pieces were not fun. I recommend a bench you can itemize all parts of it out on that won’t be touched if you wish to disassemble this reel. It’s good I think for another season before I break it down again. I use it from top water to senkos it does it all.