MB Zonda Hedgehog Custom

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

MB Zonda Hedgehog Custom

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:32 am

Hello,

Any opinions about the Megabass Zonda Hedgehog Custom baitcasting reel? On what Daiwa reel platform is made? I saw it comes with 2 spools...is it a bait finesse reel when fished with the shallow spool and a medium reel when fished with the normal deep spool?

Anyone fished one of Zonda Hedgehog?

Tks

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: MB Zonda Hedgehog Custom

Post by Bass1980 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:53 am

Nice reel and the two spool options is nice. One of the prettiest reels ever. Based on the Alphas frame but with different magnets. Yes the shallow spool is for BFS. Doesn't hold a lot of lines but is amazing tossing light lures on light line with the right rod. Deep spool with the reel you could say it's a medium reel, power finesse. It's smooth but not as smooth as Steez platforms.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:33 am

Ok, I see...

What about the bearings? Are They better or upgraded than Daiwa?

What did you ment when you said that the magnets are different?

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:55 am

I think the bearings are the same. Not much "tuning" from Daiwa to MB other than cosmetics. Spools are ported that's about it. The magnets on the side plate is different than the magnets on the Alphas. I think it is stronger magnets vs Alphas magnets. Some spools may fit the Alphas but won't fit the Zonda like the Cosugi spool. They are harder to find these days for a mint one. New ones on ebay are over priced.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:04 am

Agree w/Bass1980.

Great reel, shallow spool option makes it easy to use lighter lines. I have one and wish that I could find another--but they are quite pricey on that auction site.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:37 am

My Zonda and both my Alphas SVs are smoother than the 3 Steez platform reels I own. Aluminum gears in magnesium framed reels just don't stay as smooth as they were out of the box over time. All reels lose smoothness over time but the combination of aluminum gears and magnesium frames seems to seem to get geary/noisy faster. Still great reels though.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:41 am

Dressed up alphas platform with two spool options. It can do anything just about but that is subjective to individual hands. Super slick reel, i had one for awhile =P~

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:19 pm

Nice reel but the paint chipping is a deal breaker for me.