'19 Steez ct sv tw

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Just fyi, the spool weighs 9.5 grams WITH the bearing. It think it is very finesse-capable. I was tossing a 3" swing impact on a 1/10 oz Z-man Shroomz jighead a solid 80' with very little effort, and I have yet to flush & re-lube the spool bearings. I will experiment a little and report back. With 10# braid and mounted on my custom Immortal ULM popping-blank, I should be able to definitively find its lower limit.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:51 pm

I cast all the 50# braid off my Tatula SV and 65# braid off my IP68 wirh both the stock and HLC spool all the time when throwing frogs. I don't think the stated Daiwa line caps are even remotely correct. For example I'll cast all the line off in my yard and then go pace it out to 200 feet which is far less than the stated line capacity when the braid is converted to mono equivalent. I fill my spools to the beveled edge of the spool with no gap. I'm either, using braid with a normally large diameters, not measuring the distance correctly or the line capacity is way off. I need to get one of those wheel things to record distance. No one else has this problem?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:57 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:TW listed line capacity isn't far off, roughly 15 yards, give or take a nose hair. I'm not sure I'd consider this a finesse - finesse reel. Sounds similar to the SV Light Limited. 1/8 plus small trailer is very good with the right rod. The Zpi Nrc001-m will outclass the SV Light Limited, so I'm not sure I need this reel, other than the form factor being tempting. Still waiting for that Millionaire. We need to source some 31mm to 30mm spacers for when this new spool becomes available. SV Pixy - Yes please 8-)
It wont work because it is narrower than the Pixy spool(and narrower than all other Daiwa spools, as well). The pinion gear in the Alphas is longer and the levelwind worm gear is different. A member here tried a Pixy spool in his Alphas CT and it "just flopped around". Spanky from the Tackle Trap confirmed this when he went thru that reel for the afore-mentioned member.
Well aren't you just the buzz kill :lol:. How does someone fit a Pixy spool in a CT 70?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:50 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:TW listed line capacity isn't far off, roughly 15 yards, give or take a nose hair. I'm not sure I'd consider this a finesse - finesse reel. Sounds similar to the SV Light Limited. 1/8 plus small trailer is very good with the right rod. The Zpi Nrc001-m will outclass the SV Light Limited, so I'm not sure I need this reel, other than the form factor being tempting. Still waiting for that Millionaire. We need to source some 31mm to 30mm spacers for when this new spool becomes available. SV Pixy - Yes please 8-)
It wont work because it is narrower than the Pixy spool(and narrower than all other Daiwa spools, as well). The pinion gear in the Alphas is longer and the levelwind worm gear is different. A member here tried a Pixy spool in his Alphas CT and it "just flopped around". Spanky from the Tackle Trap confirmed this when he went thru that reel for the afore-mentioned member.
Well aren't you just the buzz kill :lol:. How does someone fit a Pixy spool in a CT 70?
You'd better be a dang good machinist!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:07 pm

LowRange wrote:I cast all the 50# braid off my Tatula SV and 65# braid off my IP68 wirh both the stock and HLC spool all the time when throwing frogs. I don't think the stated Daiwa line caps are even remotely correct. For example I'll cast all the line off in my yard and then go pace it out to 200 feet which is far less than the stated line capacity when the braid is converted to mono equivalent. I fill my spools to the beveled edge of the spool with no gap. I'm either, using braid with a normally large diameters, not measuring the distance correctly or the line capacity is way off. I need to get one of those wheel things to record distance. No one else has this problem?
I have the opposite issue, I feel like I am casting very very short distances, like I will fill a RCS sv1012 spool half full of backer and still have like 4-5 full wraps of 12lb fluoro left on the spool after a "long" cast.

I do own two of the wheel things but I have never gotten around to actually measuring my casts as the only open spot by my house is too rough for the wheels to work well.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:13 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
You said someone tried a Pixy spool in the new Steez. Was he a machinist who was willing to mutilate a spool? Or did he make spacers

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 pm

Does anyone know if a 90mm basic Daiwa handle will work with the Steez CT SV??? I was mainly wondering about the lock plate that comes stock with the CT SV lining up with the hole in a handle like the Zillion TWS 90mm. Really enjoy the SV TW and CT SV TW style lock plate, just wondered if anyone had tried a handle upgrade or knew if even possible...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:04 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
You said someone tried a Pixy spool in the new Steez. Was he a machinist who was willing to mutilate a spool? Or did he make spacers
I think I said he tried the Pixy spool in the Alphas CT, but I meant that he tried the 30mm Alphas CT spool in a Pixy, and the spool flopped back and forth, because it is narrower. The Steez CT spool is the exact same as the Alphas CT spool. That was confirmed, as well.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:48 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:It wont work because it is narrower than the Pixy spool(and narrower than all other Daiwa spools, as well). The pinion gear in the Alphas is longer and the levelwind worm gear is different. A member here tried a Pixy spool in his Alphas CT and it "just flopped around". Spanky from the Tackle Trap confirmed this when he went thru that reel for the afore-mentioned member.
I think I said he tried the Pixy spool in the Alphas CT, but I meant that he tried the 30mm Alphas CT spool in a Pixy, and the spool flopped back and forth, because it is narrower. The Steez CT spool is the exact same as the Alphas CT spool. That was confirmed, as well.
Aside of my question about the handle, that covered another one I forgot to ask... I figured the Alphas version of this spool would be slightly heavier, as with norm for most Daiwa reels when going down in price. That leaves the Alphas CT70 as a good option for anyone wanting to try the 30mm spool. copycat site had them all weighed lining up today on the TUBE, Steez CT was 9.35 grams with bearing, Steez SV TW was like 11.3 grams WITH, and the Zillion SV TW was 12 something WITH. The Alphas wasn't there though, USDM stuff only.

I really don't know how the Alphas didn't explode here in the US. Now that mine has a 90mm and Zaion star it looks perfect and has to be one of my best casting, feeling, favorite overall reels.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:16 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Does anyone know if a 90mm basic Daiwa handle will work with the Steez CT SV??? I was mainly wondering about the lock plate that comes stock with the CT SV lining up with the hole in a handle like the Zillion TWS 90mm. Really enjoy the SV TW and CT SV TW style lock plate, just wondered if anyone had tried a handle upgrade or knew if even possible...
I haven't tried an OEM 90mm Daiwa handle but I do have an SLP Works 90mm, with the stock CT SV lock plate on my Steez CT SV.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:27 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote: Well aren't you just the buzz kill :lol:. How does someone fit a Pixy spool in a CT 70?
Aside of my question about the handle, that covered another one I forgot to ask... I figured the Alphas version of this spool would be slightly heavier, as with norm for most Daiwa reels when going down in price. That leaves the Alphas CT70 as a good option for anyone wanting to try the 30mm spool. copycat site had them all weighed lining up today on the TUBE, Steez CT was 9.35 grams with bearing, Steez SV TW was like 11.3 grams WITH, and the Zillion SV TW was 12 something WITH. The Alphas wasn't there though, USDM stuff only.

I really don't know how the Alphas didn't explode here in the US. Now that mine has a 90mm and Zaion star it looks perfect and has to be one of my best casting, feeling, favorite overall reels.
Alphas ct spool weighed 9.4g with bearing, steez was 9.38g on the same scale, this tells me they are essentially the same spool with different writing on them.

I put the 30mm spool in my pixy and it flopped around because it is so narrow. To center the smaller spool in the alphas ct the pinion gear and pinion shaft were made longer on the handle side of the then the side plate is raised on the palm side and the spacers are added to smooth it all out and make it functional. Then a narrow span levelwind worm gear is used for the smaller width.

To fit a pixy spool would take a lot of work, not only would the diameter have to be opened 1mm on the frame and sideplate, but the offsets would have to be addressed. You would need a new palm plate and a levelwind at a minimum. You would be better to just get an ASC if you want to use pixy spools. In the steez ct a wider spool would not be possible as every dimension of that reel was based around the tiny spool.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:56 am

ss30378 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote: You'd better be a dang good machinist!

Alphas ct spool weighed 9.4g with bearing, steez was 9.38g on the same scale, this tells me they are essentially the same spool with different writing on them.

I put the 30mm spool in my pixy and it flopped around because it is so narrow. To center the smaller spool in the alphas ct the pinion gear and pinion shaft were made longer on the handle side of the then the side plate is raised on the palm side and the spacers are added to smooth it all out and make it functional. Then a narrow span levelwind worm gear is used for the smaller width.

To fit a pixy spool would take a lot of work, not only would the diameter have to be opened 1mm on the frame and sideplate, but the offsets would have to be addressed. You would need a new palm plate and a levelwind at a minimum. You would be better to just get an ASC if you want to use pixy spools. In the steez ct a wider spool would not be possible as every dimension of that reel was based around the tiny spool.
Okay, there seems to be some confusion. I wasn't suggesting putting a Pixy spool in a CT 70. Obviously that won't work. We can't put a 31mm spool in a 30mm spool reel. I was curious if someone made spacers, could we possibly put the CT 70 spool in a Pixy. Like how people 36mm to 34mm spacers, perhaps someone could make 31mm to 30mm spacers.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:10 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
ss30378 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote: You said someone tried a Pixy spool in the new Steez. Was he a machinist who was willing to mutilate a spool? Or did he make spacers

Okay, there seems to be some confusion. I wasn't suggesting putting a Pixy spool in a CT 70. Obviously that won't work. We can't put a 31mm spool in a 30mm spool reel. I was curious if someone made spacers, could we possibly put the CT 70 spool in a Pixy. Like how people 36mm to 34mm spacers, perhaps someone could make 31mm to 30mm spacers.
To put the 30mm spool in the a pixy or another alphas you would need spacers, raised palm plate, extended pinion gear and shaft and a narrow span levelwind at a minimum. Possible but it'll take a little bit.

Sure you can put a larger spool in something designed for a smaller one, I had my pixy opened up to take a 33mm cosugi works spool: http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=75666

But this was an easy swap as all I had to do was machine the frame 2mm larger and use a sv105 set plate. I didn't have any width issues to address.

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:19 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
ss30378 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote: You said someone tried a Pixy spool in the new Steez. Was he a machinist who was willing to mutilate a spool? Or did he make spacers

Without seeing one, and only guessing based on experience... You would need pretty much what ss30378 said: new pinion gear and pinion shaft, palm side set plate and magnet holder, narrow worm gear and spacers all from the Alphas CT.

Anything can be done ;)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:30 am

Steve(ss30378) had Spanky @ the Tackle Trap go thru both the Alphas CT and the Steez CT. What he stated regarding all the mods for putting the 30mm spool into a Pixy has been established by Spanky, so it's not just conjecture. So yes, as Forrest stated above, anything can be done. However, some things take a lot more effort, time and money than others to make those things happen. I, for one, am very pleased with the new Ray's DIY spool for the Pixy. Quite an improvement, as it casts a true 2 gram lure an acceptable distance with good control.