'19 Steez ct sv tw

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:57 am

I realize no one has used these over time yet, but how strong is the paint? Anyone had it open to see if it’s painted inside and out? Definitely interested in using this reel inshore after seeing it listed as saltwater capable on a few sites, but the paint has to be tough for the frame to hold up over time.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:07 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:I realize no one has used these over time yet, but how strong is the paint? Anyone had it open to see if it’s painted inside and out? Definitely interested in using this reel inshore after seeing it listed as saltwater capable on a few sites, but the paint has to be tough for the frame to hold up over time.
I think the paint is the same as the current Steez, as it looks and feels the same. If I were doing salt/brackish water, I would get an Alphas CT and put ceramic spool bearings in it. Aluminum frame plus good corrosion-resistant bearings would be the ticket for your needs, especially since the spools are the same between the reels. You can get 2 Alphas CT for the same price. I just wouldnt take the chance with any magnesium-frame reel in the salt, spinning or casting.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:19 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
ss30378 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote: I think I said he tried the Pixy spool in the Alphas CT, but I meant that he tried the 30mm Alphas CT spool in a Pixy, and the spool flopped back and forth, because it is narrower. The Steez CT spool is the exact same as the Alphas CT spool. That was confirmed, as well.
Aside of my question about the handle, that covered another one I forgot to ask... I figured the Alphas version of this spool would be slightly heavier, as with norm for most Daiwa reels when going down in price. That leaves the Alphas CT70 as a good option for anyone wanting to try the 30mm spool. copycat site had them all weighed lining up today on the TUBE, Steez CT was 9.35 grams with bearing, Steez SV TW was like 11.3 grams WITH, and the Zillion SV TW was 12 something WITH. The Alphas wasn't there though, USDM stuff only.

I really don't know how the Alphas didn't explode here in the US. Now that mine has a 90mm and Zaion star it looks perfect and has to be one of my best casting, feeling, favorite overall reels.
Alphas ct spool weighed 9.4g with bearing, steez was 9.38g on the same scale, this tells me they are essentially the same spool with different writing on them.

I put the 30mm spool in my pixy and it flopped around because it is so narrow. To center the smaller spool in the alphas ct the pinion gear and pinion shaft were made longer on the handle side of the then the side plate is raised on the palm side and the spacers are added to smooth it all out and make it functional. Then a narrow span levelwind worm gear is used for the smaller width.

To fit a pixy spool would take a lot of work, not only would the diameter have to be opened 1mm on the frame and sideplate, but the offsets would have to be addressed. You would need a new palm plate and a levelwind at a minimum. You would be better to just get an ASC if you want to use pixy spools. In the steez ct a wider spool would not be possible as every dimension of that reel was based around the tiny spool.
Okay, there seems to be some confusion. I wasn't suggesting putting a Pixy spool in a CT 70. Obviously that won't work. We can't put a 31mm spool in a 30mm spool reel. I was curious if someone made spacers, could we possibly put the CT 70 spool in a Pixy. Like how people 36mm to 34mm spacers, perhaps someone could make 31mm to 30mm spacers.
To put the 30mm spool in the a pixy or another alphas you would need spacers, raised palm plate, extended pinion gear and shaft and a narrow span levelwind at a minimum. Possible but it'll take a little bit.

Sure you can put a larger spool in something designed for a smaller one, I had my pixy opened up to take a 33mm cosugi works spool: http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=75666

But this was an easy swap as all I had to do was machine the frame 2mm larger and use a sv105 set plate. I didn't have any width issues to address.
Cool. Yeah, I'm not looking to machine a frame. Just curious if the spacers would work, but it sounds like there's additional work to be done.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:10 pm

When I first got my reel, I put a Steez A 90mm handle w/ smooth black cork knobs on it. After using it a couple times, I decided I actually prefer the 80mm length. But the stock handle is jet black and I like the gunmetal color of the Steez A handle. So, I went digging in my parts stash. Lo and behold, I found a Steez SV TW handle with the SLP super high-grip knobs added. I think the reel is complete now, no need for anything else imho. Oh, and did I mention...I LOVE this reel!

Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:24 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:When I first got my reel, I put a Steez A 90mm handle w/ smooth black cork knobs on it. After using it a couple times, I decided I actually prefer the 80mm length. But the stock handle is jet black and I like the gunmetal color of the Steez A handle. So, I went digging in my parts stash. Lo and behold, I found a Steez SV TW handle with the SLP super high-grip knobs added. I think the reel is complete now, no need for anything else imho. Oh, and did I mention...I LOVE this reel!

Gonna need a full, detailed write up Tim.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:27 pm

I'm interested in this reel, but have been unable to find any posts that give detailed information on its performance. I have the Alphas CT, and it will throw a 5g casting plug 40 m+ with 6lb Fireline Ultra on a TD Zero 681LFB rod rated for 3–10 gm (superseded model, but it colours match the Alphas CT perfectly). The low rotational moment of inertia of the small spool makes casting a breeze. Very impressed. Competes well with my SteeZ A loaded with a Megabass IS Finesse spool. I expect the Steez CT would offer similar performance, but maybe a tad better for light baits because of the T-wing.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:44 am

Strewth wrote:I'm interested in this reel, but have been unable to find any posts that give detailed information on its performance. I have the Alphas CT, and it will throw a 5g casting plug 40 m+ with 6lb Fireline Ultra on a TD Zero 681LFB rod rated for 3–10 gm (superseded model, but it colours match the Alphas CT perfectly). The low rotational moment of inertia of the small spool makes casting a breeze. Very impressed. Competes well with my SteeZ A loaded with a Megabass IS Finesse spool. I expect the Steez CT would offer similar performance, but maybe a tad better for light baits because of the T-wing.
You would be exactly right. The narrow spool coupled witthe the T-Wing makes the reel excellent for 2 grams and up, once I adjusted my casting stroke. 2 things were agaianst me to see the true lower limit of the reel. One, I have 15# braid on mine, so thats not the most ideal line for UL lures, which I didn't buy the reel to do. Two, the rod it was on initially was a 6-10 ML mod-fast Phenix Maxim, rated 1/8-3/8 oz lures. I'm gonna put 8# Nanobraid on it and put it on my MC Corzza 6-5UL rod to see what it can really do, but that probably wont be til Sunday afternoon.

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:52 pm

finesse aside, I wonder what the upper limits of this reel is.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:11 pm

leggomye990 wrote:finesse aside, I wonder what the upper limits of this reel is.
Idk but, It casts a 1/2oz from VERY well during my testing. I think line capacity would be the limit.

I originally decided not to get it and kinda regretted it at first. Once I gave it a few casts...completely changed my mind.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:44 pm

Just for curiosity's sake, I threw a 5/8 swimjig with a Skinny Dipper trailer in the backyard with no problems. It didnt seem over-powered at all, though the 8.1 ratio probably wouldn't be ideal for a high-resistance bait like that. That's pushing 1 oz. The reel will hold about 90 yds of 40# braid, so I think it would be fine for all but the heaviest techniques. Did I mention how much I love this reel?

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:50 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:Just for curiosity's sake, I threw a 5/8 swimjig with a Skinny Dipper trailer in the backyard with no problems. It didnt seem over-powered at all, though the 8.1 ratio probably wouldn't be ideal for a high-resistance bait like that. That's pushing 1 oz. The reel will hold about 90 yds of 40# braid, so I think it would be fine for all but the heaviest techniques. Did I mention how much I love this reel?

Well, that's good to know. Defiantly getting this reel now.
I really wanted one wen I first seen it, but I'm not big into finesse and I thought this reel was a finesse reel. Very glad to know it will handle both things fine.

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:51 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
leggomye990 wrote:finesse aside, I wonder what the upper limits of this reel is.
Idk but, It casts a 1/2oz from VERY well during my testing. I think line capacity would be the limit.

I originally decided not to get it and kinda regretted it at first. Once I gave it a few casts...completely changed my mind.

Very glad to know it can handle both, wanted this reel but I'm not much into finesse fishing, Oh well I guess with this reel I can do both

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:26 pm

This is killing me!! :lol: We sold through all our LH 8's (my choice) way faster than I thought and I'm still waiting on mine to arrive with the restock... soon, very soon...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:26 pm

Some palming pics. And outdoor shots.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:27 pm

bronzefly wrote:This is killing me!! :lol: We sold through all our LH 8's (my choice) way faster than I thought and I'm still waiting on mine to arrive with the restock... soon, very soon...
Lefty would have been my first choice but, I nabbed a righty while I could.