'19 Steez ct sv tw

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:10 am

I am getting excited!

Would you recommend the reel for 1/8 - 1/4 oz lures with 9- 10 pound fluro on the NRX 852c?

Since I am a bankfisheeman for the most part, I need the a ility to get some distance in my casts and would still prefer to have some line left on the spool in case the frsh water tuna takes a bite! ;)

Thanks and cheers!

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:00 am

I will be using 10lb sniper fc tossing 1/4 most of the time. Plenty of lines left. Impressive spool IMO. Can cast down to 1/8 as well as some shallow spools yet out distance them in 1/4 - 3/8. I'm able to cast 1/16 with a Gulp minnow. Total weight was .09 oz (2.5g) but need the right rod for accuracy. So I have yet to truely test the lower limits of this spool.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:02 pm

freelancer27 wrote:I am getting excited!

Would you recommend the reel for 1/8 - 1/4 oz lures with 9- 10 pound fluro on the NRX 852c?

Since I am a bankfisheeman for the most part, I need the a ility to get some distance in my casts and would still prefer to have some line left on the spool in case the frsh water tuna takes a bite! ;)

Thanks and cheers!
Easily. The reel would be perfect for the 852c. The reel is more capable than the rod allows. Im running 10lb Sniper on my Steez CT and there is plenty of line left. 14lb and up may be too much for the reel, capacity wise if long casting. Pitching and stuff would be fine.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:00 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Thanks and cheers!
Easily. The reel would be perfect for the 852c. The reel is more capable than the rod allows. Im running 10lb Sniper on my Steez CT and there is plenty of line left. 14lb and up may be too much for the reel, capacity wise if long casting. Pitching and stuff would be fine.
As always, thanks for your feedback! I guess I will have to get this reel after all the great reviews and given that my line capacity concern was addressed.

Looking forward to your on the water review and will then then put an order in as soon as the lefty high gear ratio model is available! :)

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:01 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Thanks and cheers!
As always, thanks for your feedback! I guess I will have to get this reel after all the great reviews and given that my line capacity concern was addressed.

Looking forward to your on the water review and will then then put an order in as soon as the lefty high gear ratio model is available! :)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:40 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Thanks and cheers!

Line capacity does not seem to be an issue using 10lb Sniper FC. If you run braid, No problems at all.

The reel is a casting machine. Had some swirling winds during my testing. I cast a weightless worm, crappie jig, crank and even a 1.5oz or so swimbait. If I was using smaller line, I feel the reel could go to about 1/16oz with flushed bearings.

This video shows the 30mm spool and TWS in action. You can see how the combo greatly reduces line drag coming via the line guide with some closeup shots. Also casting a variety of lures and test the smoothness/power by digging some cranks into the ground. https://youtu.be/gMkoB0DnWqk.

Will be tearing into the reel today to see how the insides look.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:11 am

Looks like some really good spool options are already in the works for this reel, the millionaire, and alphas.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:35 am

domthewon wrote:Looks like some really good spool options are already in the works for this reel, the millionaire, and alphas.
Some are saying they may all share a very similar, if not same spool. We will need to get our hands on the Millionaire spool to truly find out I guess.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:31 am

Has anyone tried their CT with heavier lures yet?

My all-around pond hoping rod is a 783c and I have tried about 6 reels on it and never found “the one”. The issue I have is that about 1/3 of the time I am casting/pitching a weightless Trickworm (1/4oz) and for another 1/3 of the time I am casting/pitching a 1/4oz swimjig w/ 3.8” paddletail trailer (litte over 1/2oz). Reels that excel at one are usualy not awsome with the other. Right now I have a PX68 w/ a normal Pixy spool on it and while it is a Trickworm pitching machine, it’s not amazing with the swimjig in any wind. I am hoping one of the new CT reels will be what I am looking for.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:31 am

Has anyone tried their CT with heavier lures yet?

My all-around pond hoping rod is a 783c and I have tried about 6 reels on it and never found “the one”. The issue I have is that about 1/3 of the time I am casting/pitching a weightless Trickworm (1/4oz) and for another 1/3 of the time I am casting/pitching a 1/4oz swimjig w/ 3.8” paddletail trailer (litte over 1/2oz). Reels that excel at one are usualy not awsome with the other. Right now I have a PX68 w/ a normal Pixy spool on it and while it is a Trickworm pitching machine, it’s not amazing with the swimjig in any wind. I am hoping one of the new CT reels will be what I am looking for.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:49 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Thanks and cheers!

Line capacity does not seem to be an issue using 10lb Sniper FC. If you run braid, No problems at all.

The reel is a casting machine. Had some swirling winds during my testing. I cast a weightless worm, crappie jig, crank and even a 1.5oz or so swimbait. If I was using smaller line, I feel the reel could go to about 1/16oz with flushed bearings.

This video shows the 30mm spool and TWS in action. You can see how the combo greatly reduces line drag coming via the line guide with some closeup shots. Also casting a variety of lures and test the smoothness/power by digging some cranks into the ground. https://youtu.be/gMkoB0DnWqk.

Will be tearing into the reel today to see how the insides look.

Awesome! Thanks again!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:06 am

Houndfish wrote:Has anyone tried their CT with heavier lures yet?

I did throw a Rapala DT10, #6 Rapala Rippin Rap and also a 1.5oz or so swimbait with the CT. The rod was the limiting factor with the setup for the swimbait. I felt the CT could handle the weight. It acted kinda like when you overload a BFS reel, very fast. However, the CT brakes didnt feel like they were screaming for help.

Short and long range casting was great with 1/2oz or so (other weights as well). I talked about testing the reel for short and long range casting, as I made the same point you did that reels can excel in one or the other.

One thing, I would use braid if long-casting 1/2oz baits on the regular with more than 10lb FC. The 10lb was ok but, a bigger line would really bring your IPT down and also, may run out of it.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:11 am

Houndfish wrote:Has anyone tried their CT with heavier lures yet?

20,3g jig+head 46m (151ft). Casts better than my 1016 SV TW Steez! :whistle:

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:44 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote: Short and long range casting was great with 1/2oz or so (other weights as well). I talked about testing the reel for short and long range casting, as I made the same point you did that reels can excel in one or the other.

One thing, I would use braid if long-casting 1/2oz baits on the regular with more than 10lb FC. The 10lb was ok but, a bigger line would really bring your IPT down and also, may run out of it.
MardukFIN wrote: 20,3g jig+head 46m (151ft). Casts better than my 1016 SV TW Steez! :whistle:
Good to hear but I guess now I have to get one. I am going to give the Pixy a few months on the rod though until I get some other combos "finished". I am running 12lb Invizx and on a long cast with a 1/2oz lipless there is still a few layers of line left on the spool, but the beveled bottom is just starting to be exposed.

airtreeswateranimals
Angler
Angler

Post by airtreeswateranimals » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:09 pm

well it looks like its going to be another reel that ill have to order from Japan. very sad to see the ridiculous price over here in USA. i much rather buy here in the USA but they make it impossible. i understand people have to earn a living and make a little profit out of it, but work with me on a price we are both happy with you know. its getting out of hand lol