'19 Steez ct sv tw

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:01 pm

Put line of half spool and with correct rod it's enjoyable to cast 3 grams. And in BFS waters also 2 grams flies enough. Despite of 24 lbs Spiderwire Stealth Smooth 8 which I use to avoid losses of lures. Yeh, mine inductor is currently fixed by HLC spring. I shortly tried casting with 15 grams and that flied really good. In my opinion in finesse fishing this reel with current combination is better than reel that I formerly used (sv Zillion with Momo's honeycomb). In my opinion my current ct Alphas is my most stress free and versatile what I have tried despite of fixed inductor.

Now I'm waiting Hedgehoggs BFS micro bearings and Ray's 'DIY' inductors and RCSB spool with hopefully working inductor and most importantly KTF purple BFS spool.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:52 pm

That is all fine and dandy. So far though, I have not experienced any improvement in 1/8-1/2 oz territory compared with my Steez/SV103/T3 type reels with SLP-1012 or ZPI-NRC001M. A lot of reels from the big three will handle those weights well with similar 8-12lb line capacity.

I went for a couple of hours fishing this evening with little positive to say about the Millionaire CT SV casting-wise - it is not overbraked but instead rather finicky. There is one very big caveat though - my non-handle side plate seems to fit poorly and loosen during use. IF the non-handle side plate has been slightly loose/poorly attached this afternoon and evening, it could explain my issues during casting. I have now tried to make sure that it fits quite tightly and seemingly well and will give it a go again in the coming days.
Another thing I will have to look at is the inductor...
On the plus side, the reel is buttery smooth and a pleasure to hold in hand.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:02 pm

I am slightly puzzled. The new SLP RCS CT SV 700 spool supposedly fits Steez/Alphas/Millionaire , at least according to the hedgehog site, while KTF has separate listings for the KTF Steez CT spool and KTF Alphas/Millionaire CT spool - with no indication that they are cross compatible. What is up with that?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:11 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:02 pm
I am slightly puzzled. The new SLP RCS CT SV 700 spool supposedly fits Steez/Alphas/Millionaire , at least according to the hedgehog site, while KTF has separate listings for the KTF Steez CT spool and KTF Alphas/Millionaire CT spool - with no indication that they are cross compatible. What is up with that?
Ohhhh..that is a darn good question. Looks like I have one of each coming now and I only own the Steez. My guess is that they have different braking profiles, and hopefully it's just an extra shim and not the inductor. I sure don't want to go digging at that shim 8-[

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:38 pm

A little more digging. Same spool just an added .5MM shim.. ](*,) Considering I don't plan on throwing less that 4-5 grams, it might be a welcomed bit of control. I am mainly going to use it for 110 jr's and other 5-10 gram plugs.

Will be interesting to compare the two.

"Furthermore, CT spool can also be changed to the desired brake setting. 
The default settings are set up relatively safely, but those who prefer a smoother and more comfortable low trajectory with pitching can change the characteristics by reducing the resin shim 0.25 that is placed at the base of the variable unit .
・ Steels CT has two 0.25mm, and I use one by removing one. (Use only one shim of 0.25 mm)
・ Alphas CT / Millionaire CT contains two 0.25 mm and one 0.5 mm, but as with Steel CT, try removing one or leaving it as it is."

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:38 pm
A little more digging. Same spool just an added .5MM shim.. ](*,) Considering I don't plan on throwing less that 4-5 grams, it might be a welcomed bit of control. I am mainly going to use it for 110 jr's and other 5-10 gram plugs.

Will be interesting to compare the two.

"Furthermore, CT spool can also be changed to the desired brake setting. 
The default settings are set up relatively safely, but those who prefer a smoother and more comfortable low trajectory with pitching can change the characteristics by reducing the resin shim 0.25 that is placed at the base of the variable unit .
・ Steels CT has two 0.25mm, and I use one by removing one. (Use only one shim of 0.25 mm)
・ Alphas CT / Millionaire CT contains two 0.25 mm and one 0.5 mm, but as with Steel CT, try removing one or leaving it as it is."
Damn, Sherlock! Nice! That explains a lot. Well done. =D>

Hard to believe those shims make that much of a difference. I always just left them alone thinking they were critical to the inductor assembly.
This is the way.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Thanks for solving that puzzle. Hmm. I ordered the Miliionaire version but would prefer fewer shims / less control... Hope it turns out fine as I do not want to play with that shim :lol:

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:59 pm

5 a.m. and I am on our small road doing casting tests. If neighbours were awake, they would be puzzled too.

Importantly, after non-handle side plate adjustment the reel performs much better with regard to casting. Distance is good with 3.5-5 gram spoon as in 95% of the distance achieved with my best casters. More importantly, casting is no longer finicky but instead stable and reliable with ease of operation. Yesterday, I had to make constant small adjustment and work with the spool tension knob. Today, I do what I normally do with my Daiwas - loose spool tension and Mags on 50%. Nice.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:19 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:05 pm
Thanks for solving that puzzle.
I'm still puzzled. Why would Sawamura create a different braking profile on the spool for the Alphas/Millionare?...Weaker magnets? A difference in distance from the magnet to the inductor in the Steez vs. Alphas/Millionare? :-k

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:25 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:19 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:05 pm
Thanks for solving that puzzle.
I'm still puzzled. Why would Sawamura create a different braking profile on the spool for the Alphas/Millionare?...Weaker magnets? A difference in distance from the magnet to the inductor in the Steez vs. Alphas/Millionare? :-k
Well, I am with you, albeit more informed thanks to you. I am curious why KTF does not state cross-compatability.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:24 am

It is said that Steez are overbraked. Obviously beause of that Sawamura has put weaker inductor to Steez version.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:29 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:12 am
Congrats J!
Looks like everything is available except purple at this moment. Get on it!
The portion where it makes you choose a Prefecture throws everyone off. Just pick whatever and then put your proper address in the comment section. Most people will want to pay by Paypal, but it is not an option when you get to the purchase screen. Just pick Bank Transer and put Paypal in the comment section. Once the order is confirmed you will get a confirmation email, then later a Paypal invoice, the sooner you pay it, the sooner he ships it.
Thanks for advise! Communication with Karil was really easy after all. They said that they take post address from PayPal what is actually very good in my opinion. Spool is paid and now I'm eager to get it! 30 mm BFS spool...Yeah! And it's Purple :D

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:46 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:44 am
Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:29 am
So I got the 19 Millionaire CT SV, which was eagerly awaited.
First impressions in the yard is “meh”. Quite unimposing simple cosmetics by Daiwa standard, which I like to some extent. Square-ish appearence from above/below. Cast control knob is silvery with a cheap-ish look, no clicks. Star drag clicks, fighting drag does not.
Spool is small and weighs in at 9.45 gram on my scale.
I spooled the reel with 10 YGK soleil mono.
Casting with 3.5 gram spoon was unimpressive with regard to distance and control. Some wind may have affected the reels performance. Upping the lure weight to 5 gram spoon helped but I still feel that the reel lacks behind my various Daiwa BfS capable reels eg Daiwa Alphas ASC, Daiwa 34mm spool reels with aftermarket/ZPI spool, also Shimano Conquest/15Alde with KTF, Abu AlcBF7 etc. I mean, the Millionaire is OK, but it does not do better with 3.5-5 gram spoons than previously mentioned reels and in most cases a bit worse - I was probably hoping for too much. Perhaps it will do better with braid. I used my Monoblock Grigio Stone with ZPI NRC001 and same mono line just the other day, and that reel really sang with same 5 gram spoon.
I will have to do a bit more testing including installing some ceramic bearings. Tomorrow, or early next week, my Steez CT SV TW will be here, and I will do a comparison.
I hoped - still hope - that the new CT reels are “it” for my 2-7 gram lure weight trout fishing, but for now other Daiwas eg 34 mm spool reels are just fine for me (with aftermarket spools).
Perhaps the reel is over braked? Definitely let us know how the Steez 70 compares. Bear in mind, these reels are more of a power finesse reel than a dedicated bfs reel. This reel had so much potential. Daiwa needs to stop just slapping new spools in old platforms. If this reel was machined a bit smaller and had a little higher end appeal, it would have been a winner.
The Steez Ct Sv tw arrived at my doorstep today.
It is a beautiful reel and I appreciate that the Steez logo, which I dislike, is small and discrete. It is also very nice to hold and palm. As with the Millionaire, and as it should be in a 40-60K JPY reel, operation is fluent, smooth, and connected. The thumb-bar is loose-ish and wiggly - almost as bad as my Mørrums - which will not affect on-the-water performance. Still, it is not OK in Daiwas (or ABUs) most expensive offering.
With 10 lb YGK soleil line and mounted on a cheap Tsurinoya Dexterity casting with 3.5-5.5 gram lures are on par with the Daiwa Millionaire CT after I sorted the loose Millionaire sideplate. In my hands, I get 90-95 % (yeah, I am lowering it) of the casting distance that I get with many other reels. Keep in mind that many of those other reels have seen upgrades to spool and/or bearings, but not all. I guess that the incoming SLP and KTF Millionaire spool or some microcast bearings will improve casting distance. Distance is one thing - thankfully the Steez (and sorted Millionaire) are stable and reliable performers when casting.
I have only used the Steez shortly, and the Millionaire perhaps 4 hours on 2 trips, and my impression will probably change over time.
The reels look great, feel very good (thumb-bar issue aside), and offer stable casting with lighter lures. Still, I have a wee bit of trouble seeing the need for these reels. They somehow fall in the middle of nothing. Daiwa has such an abundance of reels that can do the same things - Daiwa Alphas Air and ASC are examples of reels that do better with 2-5 gram lures. Daiwa Alphas SV, Pixyies and the SV light ltd. take up similar power-finesse space as the new CT reels. The 34 mm spool Daiwas can use SLP 1012 G1 spool, ZPI NRC001M, or crucify-me-Aliexpress spools, and get similar semi-low-ish line capacity with at least as good casting performance (in my hands). I very much appreciate that Daiwa is being innovative and hope that further work on reel/spool size etc. will lead to better reels in the coming years. Right now I just don’t see the big improvement - but please enlighten me and bring the onslaught :lol: :D O:) but be a little nice...

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:05 am

No surprise really, SLP spool is also 9.5 gram with bearing...
Attachments
57DB0CC7-915C-4DB5-AE5E-E20CB9411B5F.jpeg
57DB0CC7-915C-4DB5-AE5E-E20CB9411B5F.jpeg (72.38 KiB) Viewed 10457 times

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:11 am

KTF millionaire CT spool fits nicely in the Steez CT. It is quite controlled in the Steez where I used the mag brakes on 6-8/20. On 4/20 I had a minor backlash (wind at my back).
The spool, perhaps naturally, did very well in the Millionaire with mags on 5/10.
Btw I used the Avani PE shore master casting line in 0.6PE, which is thin stuff indeed.
Is the spool a mandatory add-on? I think not as of now, but time will tell. Certainly helped in the Millionaire.
I will add that the gold SLP colorwise is great for the Millionaire (matches the lip on the Millionaire) whereas the gold KTF color is better suited for the Steez.
Also, this is my 4 ktf spool or so, and I have many zpi spools. How come these nice and expensive spools come without an (extra) spool case is beyond me...still, I will have to try the KTF steez ct spool once it becomes available again.
Attachments
25F7EE3E-6425-4904-AE8B-01C3C0A055F2.jpeg
25F7EE3E-6425-4904-AE8B-01C3C0A055F2.jpeg (69.28 KiB) Viewed 10260 times
3C7135CE-07AA-46A4-BE4B-6DD8F31B91B8.jpeg
3C7135CE-07AA-46A4-BE4B-6DD8F31B91B8.jpeg (62.79 KiB) Viewed 10260 times
867F8731-9BAF-47C3-A902-7965C4A75EAC.jpeg
867F8731-9BAF-47C3-A902-7965C4A75EAC.jpeg (99.36 KiB) Viewed 10260 times