SS Air or 16 Aldebaran BFS

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: SS Air or 16 Aldebaran BFS

Post by abbor » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. As soon as I've tested my new honeycomb spool I will probably order Ray inductors for my Steez SV, T3 SV and Alphas Air spools. I've been lucky and haven't had sticky inductors for any of my reels, not for the extremely overbraked SS SV I sold either.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SS Air or 16 Aldebaran BFS

Post by poisonokie » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:21 pm

I went the Ray's inductor route on my SS SV 103 spool, not because of the braking profile, but because it got to where the stock inductor would stick on every cast. At first it worked okay, not great, way too much on the wild side with the light stuff I liked to cast with that reel, better for bombing the heavier weights I didn't like casting with it, but before long it became unusable. The rotor itself would spin independently of the spool, meaning it broke loose from its ramp, so maybe that's why. It also had a very limited range of motion and is made of very thin metal, so that was definitely part of it. I eventually just got a Steez 105 spool, some updated white ramps, and reinstalled the stock rotor on the SS spool, which I like much better and it will never stick again. It's great for skipping weightless plastics and finesse jigs and making pinpoint casts with sub 3/8 weights.

After changing the ramps on that spool, my SLP Steez 105, and RCS sv1000 shallow, I've got one left over for either my SV105 or Alphas Air in case they start sticking too. If it happens to either of them it will be the Alphas Air since that's the only other one I use with braid. It's obviously only used for light weights, so fingers crossed... It's pretty frustrating honestly. I guess given their track record, though, Daiwa is entitled to screw something up eventually, and given the effectiveness of their SV spools, I can't be too hacked off about it. They found a way to repurpose the faulty black ramps in gluing them together to fix the inductor on the Alphas ASC, so kudos to them for that little bit of ingenuity.

Anyway, beware the Ray's inductors. You can buy the genuine updated ramps from the Tackle Trap for a better fix. At 7 or 8 bucks a pop they're kinda pricey if you ask me, but you can't find them anywhere else, they're higher quality than the ones that come with the Ray's inductor, and they provide a permanent solution, so IMHO they're worth it.
This is the way.