Alphas CT 70 in stock at Digitaka!

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Team Bass
Angler
Angler

Re: Alphas CT 70 in stock at Digitaka!

Post by Team Bass » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:52 am

I received mine Friday. Cleaned it and it is super smooth. Here's a pic of it on a MB Eliminator.
20190311_071214-600x800-400x600.jpg
20190311_071214-600x800-400x600.jpg (77.9 KiB) Viewed 7658 times

Team Bass
Angler
Angler

Post by Team Bass » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:54 am

[img]
20190311_071341-400x600-400x600.jpg
20190311_071341-400x600-400x600.jpg (67.53 KiB) Viewed 8155 times
[/img] Camera on my phones not that great.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:00 am

Team Bass wrote:[img]20190311_071341-400x600-400x600.jpg[/img] Camera on my phones not that great.
Still a very good looking combo!

Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jayce » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:52 pm

Jkitchens wrote::lol: Negative on the thumbzilla! I wear a med/lrg glove and would say I have normal size hands. I was shocked at how small it was too but also at how much line it held. That pic is after a very long cast with a 3/8 casting plug, with 12lb line. As far as the level wind goes, I didn’t notice it nor have I ever paid any attention to it on any of my other Alphas... I’ll try to check tonight when I get home from work. Here’s a pic of the the line capacity on the box.

FE5F9DBB-4F6D-4745-855F-5C5F7BE4BFC7.jpeg

How much smaller is the new 70 vs the regular alphas ?

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:34 am

i could be wrong but i think the new alphas is the same frame and size as the older generation alphas, but the spool is smaller? someone will have to correct me if wrong on this just what i have read about the reel.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:03 am

Revofisher wrote:i could be wrong but i think the new alphas is the same frame and size as the older generation alphas, but the spool is smaller? someone will have to correct me if wrong on this just what i have read about the reel.
Correct, but the similarities stop there. With the smaller, narrower spool, a lot of the internals had to be modified. The worm gear and the pinion gear are different, along with a few other minor things. I certainly wish Daiwa would make a new, smaller frame for the Alphas series, but until then, I guess I will have to acquire more Steez CT.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:10 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Revofisher wrote:i could be wrong but i think the new alphas is the same frame and size as the older generation alphas, but the spool is smaller? someone will have to correct me if wrong on this just what i have read about the reel.
Correct, but the similarities stop there. With the smaller, narrower spool, a lot of the internals had to be modified. The worm gear and the pinion gear are different, along with a few other minor things. I certainly wish Daiwa would make a new, smaller frame for the Alphas series, but until then, I guess I will have to acquire more Steez CT.
I can't see them making a smaller Alphas, especially since they made a smaller Steez. Besides, it wouldn't be a Alphas anymore, would it...?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:11 am

adam lancia wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I can't see them making a smaller Alphas, especially since they made a smaller Steez. Besides, it wouldn't be a Alphas anymore, would it...?
Well, the Steez CT is still a Steez, even though it is smaller, so why not a smaller Alphas, as well? I know that's not likely. They are instead just milking that Alphas platform for all it's worth. I suppose since it is among the favorites platforms of all time, that makes sense.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:35 am

Didn't realize they changed much inside the new Alphas CT70. That being said, I wish they had offered an 8+ ratio. Just to compensate for the low IPT they changed the 5.8 to a 6.3, I figure because the 5.8 would be too slow and the 6.3 is the IPT of most 5 speed regular reels. This makes me wish they had done the same for the 7.2, because the 30mm spool leaves the Alphas CT70HS around the IPT of most 6 gear reels.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:55 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Didn't realize they changed much inside the new Alphas CT70. That being said, I wish they had offered an 8+ ratio. Just to compensate for the low IPT they changed the 5.8 to a 6.3, I figure because the 5.8 would be too slow and the 6.3 is the IPT of most 5 speed regular reels. This makes me wish they had done the same for the 7.2, because the 30mm spool leaves the Alphas CT70HS around the IPT of most 6 gear reels.
Theres limited space with the alphas gear sets. The gears are very small in diameter, the 7.2 already has smaller teeth and very little transition on the pinion from its shank diameter to the gear diameter. While an 8 ratio is possible since ktf did them at one point, im not sure how well they would hold up in the long term.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:29 pm

Mine just came in. First impression...that is one tiny spool in hand. It does hold a surprisingly large amount of line. Not a ton but alot more than I anticipated..which is a good thing. Right now it's on a DX742C. Haven't done much casting yet. 25mph winds and it's 30 degrees says that will wait. Super smooth reel though. The only con I can find so far is the finish. The shiny black looks awesome but I just feel this might be one of those that wants to chip just looking at it. Hope not though.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:04 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Well, the Steez CT is still a Steez, even though it is smaller, so why not a smaller Alphas, as well? I know that's not likely. They are instead just milking that Alphas platform for all it's worth. I suppose since it is among the favorites platforms of all time, that makes sense.
I would imagine that the tooling for a smaller, yet distinct from the Steez CT frame, would have put it in a price bracket that wouldn't jive with what most Alphas platform fans would expect. You make a good point of there likely being a big number of people who love the traditional Alphas frame enough to buy the new one just because.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:50 am

I have had my ACT70 for 3 weeks now and its very nice and feels great like I expected from a Alphas frame and it cast so good as well. I have it on a Daiwa Tatula Bass TAT691MLRB rod and spooled with 8lb Fluoro. I have been throwing 1/4oz squarebill and lipless cranks, weightless flukes and worms on it. First I was thought, why did I buy another Alphas frame reel when I have 3 already but after fishing it I'm glad I did.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:01 am

Was able to just yard cast this reel for a while today. This reel is great. Really impressed with this 30mm SV spool so far. I've got 10# sniper on mine tossing a weightless wacky rigged 4" senko. Really effortless casts with this. Glad I got it.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:14 am

I had a coupon from Digitaka that was set to expire, so I ended up ordering one of these (actually wanted the Steez CT in high speed but they never had any in stock). I never had an Alpha variant. It sounds like they’re good casters with the 70 spool.