Orochi XXX Jadepython vs new Destroyer VLC for bottom contact

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Dutch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Orochi XXX Jadepython vs new Destroyer VLC for bottom contact

Post by Dutch » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:18 am

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a ML spinning rod for mainly bottom contact applications.
I'm considering the Orochi XXX Jadepython F3-610XS and new Destroyer F3-610XS VLC.
Destroyer is obviously a more expensive rod with better components and a bit lighter.
Orochi is fast, Destroyer medium-fast.
Lure rating 1/2oz for Orochi vs 3/8oz for the Destroyer.
Apart from that they appear very similar on paper.

Any thorod would you pick?
I think fast action will be better for bottom contact, but Destroyer is probably more sensitive.

Recommendation of other brands/models in the same price range are also welcome of course.
Rod will be ordered from Japan, so MB USA offerings like the Addermine are not possible.

Greetz

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Orochi XXX Jadepython vs new Destroyer VLC for bottom contact

Post by Cristo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:14 am

first, 2nd I can't help because...

Third, Best of luck as there are plenty of folks on here that can advise you with your choice to mate with your eggbeater :big grin:

Dutch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dutch » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:44 am

cristo, thank you so much for this extremely useful information.
But there's no eggbeater to match to. first the rod of course.

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:07 pm

Megabass Jade Python Slantbridge. They come up from time to time, and I don't need to buy any more of them. :D
2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300

Dutch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dutch » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:46 pm

Yes, the slantbridge must be sweet, but this is out of my scope. The orochi xxx jadepython is the one i'm considering.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:10 am

Dutch wrote:Yes, the slantbridge must be sweet, but this is out of my scope. The orochi xxx jadepython is the one i'm considering.
I own the jadepython. I really like it but it's definitely on the lighter side of the rating. I'd say it's sweet spot is 1/8-1/4oz. It's been best to me for ned rigging. If you're using any technique where the hook isn't exposed, you're going to want something with a bit more power.

Happy to help with any other questions.

Dutch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dutch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:44 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:
Dutch wrote:Yes, the slantbridge must be sweet, but this is out of my scope. The orochi xxx jadepython is the one i'm considering.
I own the jadepython. I really like it but it's definitely on the lighter side of the rating. I'd say it's sweet spot is 1/8-1/4oz. It's been best to me for ned rigging. If you're using any technique where the hook isn't exposed, you're going to want something with a bit more power.

Happy to help with any other questions.
Thanks a lot for the info, jerkbait22!

I will probably only use it for applications with the hook exposed, so that won't be a problem.
Mostly small jigheads with some plastic like a ned or a small paddle tail, tube, crawfish and maybe some dropshotting.
The sweetspot weights 1/8-1/4 you mention, do you mean total weight of lead + lure or just the lead?
1/4 jighead + lure will be probable be what I'll be throwing most of the time.

The other rod I was checking out, the Destroyer F3610 is has same F3 power rating, but has 3/8 vs 1/2 max lure rating, so that would suggest it is even lighter powered.

thanks again!

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:49 am

Dutch wrote:
jerkbait22 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the info, jerkbait22!

I will probably only use it for applications with the hook exposed, so that won't be a problem.
Mostly small jigheads with some plastic like a ned or a small paddle tail, tube, crawfish and maybe some dropshotting.
The sweetspot weights 1/8-1/4 you mention, do you mean total weight of lead + lure or just the lead?
1/4 jighead + lure will be probable be what I'll be throwing most of the time.

The other rod I was checking out, the Destroyer F3610 is has same F3 power rating, but has 3/8 vs 1/2 max lure rating, so that would suggest it is even lighter powered.

thanks again!

It can cast total weight up to 1/2oz no problem. I used it a lot with 1/4 and 3/8oz jigheads and keitech 4" easy shiner. The 3/8oz jighead I was using had a bit thicker gauge hook which led to some fish jumping off due to not getting great penetration on the hookset. As long as you're fishing lighter wire exposed hooks, it should be great for what you're looking to do.

I should give some background to how I am fishing the rod because it probably has an impact. I was fishing it with straight 6lb fluoro and from a kayak. Since I fish from a kayak, I'm not able to get as strong of a hook set (I'm always sitting down). So if you're fishing from a boat and can really put everything into the hookset it might be fine. At the end of last season I put braid on it with a fluoro leader to see if that would make a difference but the reaction bite was on so I never used it.

Comparing price vs performance, I'd say it's one of the best rods I own. It's very sensitive and fun to fish. You can even through lighter treble hook baits like small crankbait and jerkbaits.

Dutch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dutch » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:00 am

Hi jerkbait22, thanks again for the info.
Based on your input I think the orochi will be great for my applications and I might just go and order it.

Still interested though in info on the destroyer especially in comparison with the orochi.
Anyone here with some useful input on the destroyer in this context?

Greetz