Daiwa JDM Rod users

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa JDM Rod users

Post by leggomye990 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:33 am

domthewon wrote:
leggomye990 wrote:Anyone know what "leaderless down shot rig" is?
I'm sitting in a hotel, bored, it's dead winter, and I'm just here reading this thread and decided to look up the hustler, 71mh
Says it's a T rig specialty rod but would you throw some swim jigs with it? Is down shot the same as drop shot?
Hey I just seen this. Yeah the hustler would be good for swim jigs. The tip is fast and has a good amount of backbone. I’d use it with braid or flouro no problem.
As for leaderless down shot. This is one example but there are many types.
73C9F1B7-2954-405D-B05B-5E3DD299F9AE.jpeg

Ahh Thats what it is, I was reading the recommended lures on daiwa site and it mentioned leaderless down shot lol I didn't know what it was, so it's a tokyo rig?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:41 am

leggomye990 wrote:
domthewon wrote:
leggomye990 wrote:Anyone know what "leaderless down shot rig" is?
I'm sitting in a hotel, bored, it's dead winter, and I'm just here reading this thread and decided to look up the hustler, 71mh
Says it's a T rig specialty rod but would you throw some swim jigs with it? Is down shot the same as drop shot?
Hey I just seen this. Yeah the hustler would be good for swim jigs. The tip is fast and has a good amount of backbone. I’d use it with braid or flouro no problem.
As for leaderless down shot. This is one example but there are many types.
73C9F1B7-2954-405D-B05B-5E3DD299F9AE.jpeg

Ahh Thats what it is, I was reading the recommended lures on daiwa site and it mentioned leaderless down shot lol I didn't know what it was, so it's a tokyo rig?
Pretty much. There are also other styles of down shots out there, but thats one of the more well known. My buddy makes some customs with tungsten and glass that are pretty amazing.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:54 pm

RD 7.1 Husler came today and only had time to take a sneak peak as one of my kids is sick. Interesting problem identified. This thing is borderline too pretty to fish. :shock: I’ve been able to get that and relate to guys who feel that way about certain reels, but never had quite such a thought about a rod. I’m going to have to get over that.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:06 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:RD 7.1 Husler came today and only had time to take a sneak peak as one of my kids is sick. Interesting problem identified. This thing is borderline too pretty to fish. :shock: I’ve been able to get that and relate to guys who feel that way about certain reels, but never had quite such a thought about a rod. I’m going to have to get over that.
Congrats! No joke ...when you pull the rod out of the actual rod sock not the case it sounds like a samurai sword being unsheathed in the movies. :lol:
You will get over the looks once you fish it. The performance exceeds in my opinion. Enjoy.

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:04 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:RD 7.1 Husler came today and only had time to take a sneak peak as one of my kids is sick. Interesting problem identified. This thing is borderline too pretty to fish. :shock: I’ve been able to get that and relate to guys who feel that way about certain reels, but never had quite such a thought about a rod. I’m going to have to get over that.
Ahah I felt that away I made a comment about that with the steez ltd reel, and funny thing I actually tried to order this rod from jls but they out of stock and no replies with my emails yet, mind if I asked, which website you found yours on?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:43 am

leggomye990 wrote:
Ahah I felt that away I made a comment about that with the steez ltd reel, and funny thing I actually tried to order this rod from jls but they out of stock and no replies with my emails yet, mind if I asked, which website you found yours on?
I was impatient and decided not to shop around for best price and went with JDM Tackle Heaven. Their price usually ins't the best for new goods and was not in this case (sometime great deals on used stuff though), but I went with it anyway since they had it.

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:45 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
leggomye990 wrote:
I was impatient and decided not to shop around for best price and went with JDM Tackle Heaven. Their price usually ins't the best for new goods and was not in this case (sometime great deals on used stuff though), but I went with it anyway since they had it.
Ahh thanks, I'll need to go look for it from them.
I want to join the racing design club!

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:58 pm

I hope the OP doesn’t mind me posting this little review here, but I finally opened my 6’10”ml+fb shallow cover finesse. I wasn’t sure what the power was going to be like when I got it, but I’m very excited about this rod. To me it feels like the conquest 842 and MB x7 super eiger had a baby that’s more badass than it’s parents. The taper is between the two rods. Its faster than the SE, but slower than the conquest. The tip on the Conquest is a little softer than the cover finesse, but it has that similar surprisingly powerful backbone. My only gripe with the x7 super eiger is I felt it didn’t have the action and backbone to set the hook on a bass with a solid jaw (5lb and up)and still penetrate, and also I am always worried about breaking it. I would use it for techniques where you don’t really have to set the hook like dropshot or neko. My issue with the conquest 842 is it feels much better on moving baits and the tip is so soft even though the backbone is definitely still there I’ve had the same issues as I did with the super eiger setting the hook on bottom contact techniques. This rod solves my issues with the other two, but really makes me want to buy and try the super metal top model as well. This rod fits in perfectly with the jigga stick and the hustler. There is a little bit of overlap in power between the 3 which means I can cover baits from1/8- 1-1/2oz and never feel like I’m between rods. Kinda reminds me of the Loomis 844, 843,842 except i like these rods for bottom contact a lot more, and feel they overlap better for it. I tested a 7g osp jig with no trailer, a weightless fluke, a LC pointer 78, and a 1/8 oz tungsten plus small trailer. This rod handled every bait exceptionally well. It’s the rod I would choose right before picking up a bfs stick. I consider bfs anything under 1/8 total weight and don’t throw it often which is why I really like this rod. It’s definitely more powerful than I was expecting and gives you the power to pull fish away from cover while still giving you the ability to toss lighter baits really well. I won’t comment on sensitivity other than saying I really like the way information is transferred to your hands, and is as good if not better than any other elite rods I own. Not to mention 89 grams, 1 piece, and balances on the center of the lockdown nut with a steez sv tw 1016 w zpi m spool. As far as I’m concerned I will never need more out of any bottom contact rods within that weight range, but will continue to feed my curiosity and silverback sized bait monkey with new technologies and fish them. Just thought I’d add these are my opinions and results may very, but I wouldn’t post something I don’t know or have experience with.
663E74E9-4E83-42CE-A678-A074D7535A11.jpeg
663E74E9-4E83-42CE-A678-A074D7535A11.jpeg (98.09 KiB) Viewed 6942 times
8E61391C-9DF2-43FC-BE93-F6FA2104610C.jpeg
8E61391C-9DF2-43FC-BE93-F6FA2104610C.jpeg (73.44 KiB) Viewed 6942 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:54 am

domthewon wrote:I hope the OP doesn’t mind me posting this little review here, but I finally opened my 6’10”ml+fb shallow cover finesse. I wasn’t sure what the power was going to be like when I got it, but I’m very excited about this rod. To me it feels like the conquest 842 and MB x7 super eiger had a baby that’s more badass than it’s parents. The taper is between the two rods. Its faster than the SE, but slower than the conquest. The tip on the Conquest is a little softer than the cover finesse, but it has that similar surprisingly powerful backbone. My only gripe with the x7 super eiger is I felt it didn’t have the action and backbone to set the hook on a bass with a solid jaw (5lb and up)and still penetrate, and also I am always worried about breaking it. I would use it for techniques where you don’t really have to set the hook like dropshot or neko. My issue with the conquest 842 is it feels much better on moving baits and the tip is so soft even though the backbone is definitely still there I’ve had the same issues as I did with the super eiger setting the hook on bottom contact techniques. This rod solves my issues with the other two, but really makes me want to buy and try the super metal top model as well. This rod fits in perfectly with the jigga stick and the hustler. There is a little bit of overlap in power between the 3 which means I can cover baits from1/8- 1-1/2oz and never feel like I’m between rods. Kinda reminds me of the Loomis 844, 843,842 except i like these rods for bottom contact a lot more, and feel they overlap better for it. I tested a 7g osp jig with no trailer, a weightless fluke, a LC pointer 78, and a 1/8 oz tungsten plus small trailer. This rod handled every bait exceptionally well. It’s the rod I would choose right before picking up a bfs stick. I consider bfs anything under 1/8 total weight and don’t throw it often which is why I really like this rod. It’s definitely more powerful than I was expecting and gives you the power to pull fish away from cover while still giving you the ability to toss lighter baits really well. I won’t comment on sensitivity other than saying I really like the way information is transferred to your hands, and is as good if not better than any other elite rods I own. Not to mention 89 grams, 1 piece, and balances on the center of the lockdown nut with a steez sv tw 1016 w zpi m spool. As far as I’m concerned I will never need more out of any bottom contact rods within that weight range, but will continue to feed my curiosity and silverback sized bait monkey with new technologies and fish them. Just thought I’d add these are my opinions and results may very, but I wouldn’t post something I don’t know or have experience with.

Great review
Then more information the better.
I’ve blown money but when it comes to things at this price point
I try to make informed decisions. Your experience lends to that.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:07 am

goldrod wrote:
domthewon wrote:I hope the OP doesn’t mind me posting this little review here, but I finally opened my 6’10”ml+fb shallow cover finesse. I wasn’t sure what the power was going to be like when I got it, but I’m very excited about this rod. To me it feels like the conquest 842 and MB x7 super eiger had a baby that’s more badass than it’s parents. The taper is between the two rods. Its faster than the SE, but slower than the conquest. The tip on the Conquest is a little softer than the cover finesse, but it has that similar surprisingly powerful backbone. My only gripe with the x7 super eiger is I felt it didn’t have the action and backbone to set the hook on a bass with a solid jaw (5lb and up)and still penetrate, and also I am always worried about breaking it. I would use it for techniques where you don’t really have to set the hook like dropshot or neko. My issue with the conquest 842 is it feels much better on moving baits and the tip is so soft even though the backbone is definitely still there I’ve had the same issues as I did with the super eiger setting the hook on bottom contact techniques. This rod solves my issues with the other two, but really makes me want to buy and try the super metal top model as well. This rod fits in perfectly with the jigga stick and the hustler. There is a little bit of overlap in power between the 3 which means I can cover baits from1/8- 1-1/2oz and never feel like I’m between rods. Kinda reminds me of the Loomis 844, 843,842 except i like these rods for bottom contact a lot more, and feel they overlap better for it. I tested a 7g osp jig with no trailer, a weightless fluke, a LC pointer 78, and a 1/8 oz tungsten plus small trailer. This rod handled every bait exceptionally well. It’s the rod I would choose right before picking up a bfs stick. I consider bfs anything under 1/8 total weight and don’t throw it often which is why I really like this rod. It’s definitely more powerful than I was expecting and gives you the power to pull fish away from cover while still giving you the ability to toss lighter baits really well. I won’t comment on sensitivity other than saying I really like the way information is transferred to your hands, and is as good if not better than any other elite rods I own. Not to mention 89 grams, 1 piece, and balances on the center of the lockdown nut with a steez sv tw 1016 w zpi m spool. As far as I’m concerned I will never need more out of any bottom contact rods within that weight range, but will continue to feed my curiosity and silverback sized bait monkey with new technologies and fish them. Just thought I’d add these are my opinions and results may very, but I wouldn’t post something I don’t know or have experience with.

Great review
X2

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:02 pm

goldrod wrote:

Great review
Thank you. To me when I spend this much money on rods I always hope their winners, but that's not always the case. Fortunately for me these rods are. I'm always a little more hesitant pulling the trigger on a rod that I have very little info on, but sometimes there's no choice. If there's no info , and you want one you gotta pay to play, but I also wouldn't talk these rods up if they weren't worthy. My 842 conquest will remain my hard jerkbait rod, and the Super Eiger will remain one of my casting dropshot, neko rods. I really like both of them and they are both very worthy in comparison, but excel better in different tactics. After fishing all three of the Racing Designs I own there's no doubt that they are extremely well designed, perfect guide placement and layout for the tapers. The guide wraps are possibly the nicest, cleanest, looking carbon fiber on the hustler, and shallow cover. The handle and triggers are comfortable and ergonomic even if i palm the reel differently, and have different fingers in front of the trigger. They balance excellent even with light reels. I would not consider any of them to be tip heavy either. Daiwa really got it right with these rods. I hope there is some trickle down technology in the future. Some might say you can get a custom exactly how you want for this price, and I agree although you can't get one with the blank material that is used on these rods. They feel very durable while still being very light and the sensitivity is there. The taper and weights I want to throw are perfect on these rods as well as everything else on them. I wish I would have found these rods earlier, and hope they bring out some more new models. Glad I can help others with my experiences.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:18 am

thanks for taking the time to write the review up domthewon I for the life of me cant bring myself to ever buy any rods that are not 1 piece construction, but this might be the first set of rods that i acquire that are 2 piece, well the hustler that is.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:46 pm

Revofisher wrote:thanks for taking the time to write the review up domthewon I for the life of me cant bring myself to ever buy any rods that are not 1 piece construction, but this might be the first set of rods that i acquire that are 2 piece, well the hustler that is.
No worries, I’m on the other end most of the time hoping to hear some info before placing my order. I personally don’t care for 2 piece rods, but most of the high end Jdm Rods I own have the through handle design, and it is actually very good and I haven’t had any issues. The jigga stick and hustler are no exception. Once they’re together you can’t even tell they’re 2 piece, because the joint is hidden and secured behind the lockdown nut. The only thing I don’t like about that style joint is it can be very difficult to take them apart, but I rarely do. If I could only pick one of them it would be the hustler. It covers the widest range of weights of the 3 I have, and handles them great.
Thanks,
Dom

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:00 pm

domthewon wrote:
Revofisher wrote:thanks for taking the time to write the review up domthewon I for the life of me cant bring myself to ever buy any rods that are not 1 piece construction, but this might be the first set of rods that i acquire that are 2 piece, well the hustler that is.
No worries, I’m on the other end most of the time hoping to hear some info before placing my order. I personally don’t care for 2 piece rods, but most of the high end Jdm Rods I own have the through handle design, and it is actually very good and I haven’t had any issues. The jigga stick and hustler are no exception. Once they’re together you can’t even tell they’re 2 piece, because the joint is hidden and secured behind the lockdown nut. The only thing I don’t like about that style joint is it can be very difficult to take them apart, but I rarely do. If I could only pick one of them it would be the hustler. It covers the widest range of weights of the 3 I have, and handles them great.
Thanks,
Dom

I am slowly turning the two piece corner. For the most part i was ignorant to two piece rods, in that in my mind I thought back from when I was a kid how the rod connected in the middle. Now there are rods whose connection is in the handle and that is a bit more palatable for me anyways. My only heartache is the warranty and I am not there yet. I have straddled the fence long enough and I want a JDM rod in the Purist of form. I also want a NRX CCR and a Helix 10 the 2019 model.. so I'm in the worst shape..lol
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:51 pm

goldrod wrote:
domthewon wrote:
Thanks,
Dom

I am slowly turning the two piece corner. For the most part i was ignorant to two piece rods, in that in my mind I thought back from when I was a kid how the rod connected in the middle. Now there are rods whose connection is in the handle and that is a bit more palatable for me anyways. My only heartache is the warranty and I am not there yet. I have straddled the fence long enough and I want a JDM rod in the Purist of form. I also want a NRX CCR and a Helix 10 the 2019 model.. so I'm in the worst shape..lol
Here’s a pic of the hustlers joint. (Wait what are we talking about again?) To be honest of all the jdm rods I bought recently besides the poison ultimas, I don’t think there is a cleaner well put together build of a rod, and both feel very durable. I don’t get that fragile feeling from them at all which is something that surprises me still out of such light weight rods. Even more so from the steez cause it has a more plain cork butt section, while my ultimas got the monocoque treatment. I have never had an issue with any of my other model steez rods, but have heard things about ags guides having issues when they came out a few years ago, but nothing recently and none with mine. In my opinion the only way you damage these rods is by your doing. Rod locker accidents, high sticking a rock really hard, stepping on them. It comes with a warranty packet so if something does happen you bet I will try and do something about it, but also accept the risk because to me it’s worth the reward of fishing this level of equipment.
1903BC99-5F4E-415F-9B01-BED07762F4DC.jpeg
1903BC99-5F4E-415F-9B01-BED07762F4DC.jpeg (62.26 KiB) Viewed 6786 times