Steez A spool options

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez A spool options

Post by jerkbait22 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:58 am

Hi All,

I'm looking at purchasing a Steez A TW to put on my Destroyer FMJ. I'm primarily using the rod for 1/2oz jigs and 3/8 - 3/4oz bullet weights + plastic. Will the stock spool be the best bet for these lure weights? Or should I consider the ZPI NRC PG spool or something else? I'm fishing 15lb fluoro on this setup.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez A spool options

Post by scrapiron » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:13 pm

I've kept the stock spool in my Steez A on the FMJ. I've got a 1016 spool in another Steez A. And I've got a ZPI spool in my Steez SV TWS. I'd get the ZPI as they're not going to be made anymore. It may not have enough line capacity, but it may. That ZPI puts a smile on my face when I cast.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:35 pm

I pulled the trigger and have the Steez A TW on the way. Is the casting distance that noticeable with the ZPI spool vs stock? My thought is to see how it is stock first before making the extra $150 investment in the spool. Was just looking for some feedback here to figure out what my options are if I decide to upgrade.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:19 pm

There is nothing wrong with the stock spool if you’re looking for distance. I put a pg spool in mine because I wanted more control at short distance (75ft or closer)with 16 lb flouro. I skip heavier jigs under docks and bamboo in current. I need the weight so it has a better chance at staying where it falls without being swept away. With the stock spool if I make a mistake I was getting a lot of overrun and fluffing of the line. With the pg I can make it much better tamed while still getting the distance I need out of my reel. I don’t really care about all out distance on most of my setups because the effective hook setting leverage/power I have is definitely closer than I can cast either spool, and I fish from a boat. Deep cranks are another story. The zillion svtw sv spool is another cheaper, but still very good option if you don’t like the stock spool.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:00 am

I use a Zillion SV TW spool in my Steez A, for some reason it impresses much more than in the Zillion SV TW itself. I put the stock Steez A spool in an SS/SV (strange but good fit for 1/2 under hard baits), but really enjoy the Zillion SV TW spool in the "A". I run the brakes very low, 2-6 and get no fluff or fear of overrun. This is fishing on a Medium, fast action rod with 1/8 to 1/4 weight and accompanying plastic trailer. I've also thrown jerkbaits, 100 and 110 sizes, really well with that combo on the Steez A. I rarely throw heavier lures, but the few times I have distance has been great, slightly better than/equal to the stock Mag-Z spool but more controlled.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri May 03, 2019 3:11 pm

pretty much any daiwa 34mm speedshaft spool can be used in a steez A, from original TDZ and OG steez spools to T3 1016, all rcs 1000,1016 and 1012 spools SV and Magforce Z, zillion 1016Sv plus megabass IS, ZPi, and Rays spools. the list is huge so you could spend a long time trying them out to find what suits you. What some may consider overbraked others find it suits them fine.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri May 03, 2019 4:36 pm

1016-G1
You’ll love it
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:44 am

goldrod wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:36 pm
1016-G1
You’ll love it
I test casted the reel recently and with 12lb fluoro and a 1/2oz jig I was dumping about half the stock spool. I'll see how I like it when I actually fish with it. The 1016 G1 has line cap that I'm more used to (same as my metaniums I believe). What about the 1016-G1 do you like in particular?