Shimano Exsence vs Daiwa Certate LT

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Exsence vs Daiwa Certate LT

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:35 am

scrapiron wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:11 am
Please do! That would be an interesting combo as my dream setup of a Steez AGS 7'6" and Exist 19 is exactly that... a dream. :)
That 76MML Steez AGS/Exist 19 is indeed a dream combo - I thoroughly enjoy mine.

The Megabass Flyssa paired up with the 19 Certate is also an incredible combo. I've been fishing quite a few different presentations on mine, but am really loving the Megabass Okashira Screw Head 1/16 oz paired with a Keitech Fat Swing Impact 2.8...

www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:02 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:35 am
scrapiron wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:11 am
Please do! That would be an interesting combo as my dream setup of a Steez AGS 7'6" and Exist 19 is exactly that... a dream. :)
That 76MML Steez AGS/Exist 19 is indeed a dream combo - I thoroughly enjoy mine.

The Megabass Flyssa paired up with the 19 Certate is also an incredible combo. I've been fishing quite a few different presentations on mine, but am really loving the Megabass Okashira Screw Head 1/16 oz paired with a Keitech Fat Swing Impact 2.8...

I was skeptical of those. Good to hear they actually work! I figured the prop would foul against the bait all the time.
This is the way.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Wow! Super nice setup.

Is that G-Soul SS112 Sinking Braid in 10#? How does that compare to Tatsu?

Going to have to try one if those screw heads....

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:00 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:02 pm
I was skeptical of those. Good to hear they actually work! I figured the prop would foul against the bait all the time.
There is a small cup on the hook shank behind the prop and a small ball on the shank of the hook that are well engineered to prevent this issue. The bait keeper is also very well done. Good work by Megabass indeed!
scrapiron wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:50 pm
Wow! Super nice setup.

Is that G-Soul SS112 Sinking Braid in 10#? How does that compare to Tatsu?

Going to have to try one if those screw heads....
Thank you! I'm pleased with the Certate LT - its built from the same tooling as the Exist with some key differences of course as discussed in another thread.

G-Soul SS140 OHDRAGON is on the Certate LT presently. I've been a big fan of the G-Soul SS112 sinking braid for a while now and have also been impressed with the SS140 in my limited experience with it. SS140 is unique in that it is a braid woven around a FC line creating some interesting characteristics.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:13 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:00 pm

SS140 is unique in that it is a braid woven around a FC line creating some interesting characteristics.
Wha--?? How much does a spool of that stuff set you back?
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:50 pm

I have never used any of those propeller style swimbait heads, do they actually give any benefits???

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:40 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:50 pm
I have never used any of those propeller style swimbait heads, do they actually give any benefits???
I never have either, but I love adding props to my baits where I can. The screw-in type are apt to be stolen by panfish, so it would cut down on that. Zappu makes a prop jig head, but IIRC it's for wacky style.
This is the way.

Jevans1770
Angler
Angler

Post by Jevans1770 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:55 pm

I think Daiwa beats Shimano hands down on all of their spinning reels (save some of the big Saltigas from a few years back that had horrible corrosion issues...still a nice feeling reel though). The difference is service: Shimano service is very quick; Daiwa service is very slow. If you buy a Daiwa Magseal reel (my 2508 Certate is magseal) - you are pretty much beholden to send it to Daiwa for service and wait. Magseal oil is not proprietary to Daiwa but its tough to find folks that will work on a Magseal reel with the generic stuff. For that reason I use the large SW Stella's for all offshore/reef fishing stuff. The high end Daiwa spinners feel more solid in the hand and while using - you just have to be prepared for a wait service wise.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:28 am

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Wha--?? How much does a spool of that stuff set you back?
Its on our site and is becoming VERY popular, along with the standard SS112 sinking braid - $30 for a 150m before any Tackle Tour member discounts are used...
DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:50 pm
They certainly put off a different vibration in the water than a standard jighead. They've been productive for me, and a bunch of guys I know who use them.
Jevans1770 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:55 pm
I think Daiwa beats Shimano hands down on all of their spinning reels (save some of the big Saltigas from a few years back that had horrible corrosion issues...still a nice feeling reel though). The difference is service: Shimano service is very quick; Daiwa service is very slow. If you buy a Daiwa Magseal reel (my 2508 Certate is magseal) - you are pretty much beholden to send it to Daiwa for service and wait. Magseal oil is not proprietary to Daiwa but its tough to find folks that will work on a Magseal reel with the generic stuff. For that reason I use the large SW Stella's for all offshore/reef fishing stuff. The high end Daiwa spinners feel more solid in the hand and while using - you just have to be prepared for a wait service wise.
The Tackle Trap is Magseal Certified, AND Exist Certified. Bryan is very good and warranty reels get a jump in line over standard clean/service/super tune reels.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:37 am

Between the S112 and S140 which do you recommend for finesse (and weight)? I think I’m giving up on FC for a bit. 😃

Sorry OP to derail your thread.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:21 am

scrapiron wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:37 am
Between the S112 and S140 which do you recommend for finesse (and weight)? I think I’m giving up on FC for a bit. 😃

Sorry OP to derail your thread.
The 10# SS112 has performed beautifully for me with finesse type applications. It's on my Exist LT/Steez AGS 76MML combo now. I find it to be a little softer/more limp than comparable SS140 in 11#, but the SS140 does sink a little faster. Both are incredible lines - get a spool of each and report back :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:57 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:01 pm
I have the Exsence on a conquest 842c and its awesome, the balance is also excellent.

I do however want to try the Certate LT though.

One of the big reasons I choose shimano is if I ever need their support or I need to order parts it makes life easy....
-Bronzeback, I noticed you sold an almost new Exsence and bought a Certate. Just wondering if there was a performance based reason you got rid of the Exsence? (IDK, maybe you had 2 Exsence's?)

-To anyone, what color is the 19 Certate, dark blue?

-As an FYI to the Saltwater crowd, from postings that I have seen, there is a 5000 size Certate in the near future. Which would be a high end gap filler between the current Exist/Certate and the Saltiga 3500/4000.

-Off subject, I have used the OHDRAGON SS140 for about a year now, #2.5 PE (32#) on my Morethan/Javelin Combo. Great line... especially for deep water bottom contact, line movment indication (red markers), and line management in the wind. For some reason they just sell up to PE 1.5 in the US.

-To anyone worried about Magseal...Magseal has been around well before it was introduced to fishing reels (1954 to be exact). It's used extensivly in Aerospace, Nuclear and other high precision industries. I think I am up to around 20 magseal bearings now between my reels, it is literally the last thing I worry about. Considering TTT is there to help if there is a problem, it's even less of a worry. (Although if you bought every reel you own from Japan, your going to be out some dimes if a repair is needed :lol: )

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:54 pm

I had 2 excense reels now :big grin:

The one I sold never really got any use...

My certate should be here on Monday

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:48 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:21 am
The 10# SS112 has performed beautifully for me with finesse type applications. It's on my Exist LT/Steez AGS 76MML combo now. I find it to be a little softer/more limp than comparable SS140 in 11#, but the SS140 does sink a little faster. Both are incredible lines - get a spool of each and report back :lol:
Gary, do the ester strands in the SS112 deteriorate like mono? I respool braid maybe once a year or two, esp on baitcasters. One of the primary advantages of using braid imo!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:24 am

reason162 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:48 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:21 am
Gary, do the ester strands in the SS112 deteriorate like mono? I respool braid maybe once a year or two, esp on baitcasters. One of the primary advantages of using braid imo!
I'm mid way through year round season 2 with one well used spool of SS112 - it's shown no signs of deterioration whatsoever. It still performs like I just spooled it.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap