Ryoga 1016 SV

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
craigrbns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Ryoga 1016 SV

Post by craigrbns » Fri May 31, 2019 6:43 pm

Sorry for one more post! I'm still exhausting some research on a new reel. I stumbled upon the 1016 SV today, and I can find next to no information on it. Probably not new to most of you, but new to me since I haven't paid a lot of attention the last few years.

Does anyone have any experience with this reel, esp when casting 3/8 -1/2 ounce baits? Can anyone compare it to the castability of the Z2020, Conquest 200, or standard 1016 Ryoga?

Thanks once again!

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Ryoga 1016 SV

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:51 pm

I will give you some info I do know about the reel. the Black and red ryoga sv was only available in the daiwa south east Asia market. its gear set up and side plate is from a ryoga 1012 bay jigging reel and is why it is heavier than the original ryoga 1016, due to the wider sideplate and deeper gears with a multi disc drag. Some people have complained about the spool lacking capacity for such a heavy weight reel. while I haven't used this reel I have tried sv spools in my original ryoga 1016 and they work quite well, although with same spools in both ryoga and steez a the steez A is noticeably better caster which I put down to the TWS. The SV spool in a ryoga is a bit of a waste as for this type of reel is better suited to heavy applications which a mag z spool performs with.

Jevans1770
Angler
Angler

Post by Jevans1770 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:10 pm

I didn't know they make a Ryoga in SV. I've salmon fished next to a guy with the Magforce Ryoga and he gets better distance than most (and there are a lot of high end reels in the local salmon casting lineup). But this is with the 7/8oz Mepps Flying C.

I own the last gen Morethan SV and it casts everything a mile - including down to 4-5g gram stuff. Only rub is the spool is meant for PE and is very shallow. I can cast all the line on the spool with a half once lure when its spooled with 10lb P-Line CXX. Which is bizarre because I think the Morethan spool weights around 17g yet can kind of do BFS duty. So I'm pretty happy with my SV Morethan - assume the Ryoga SV is similar. But the shallow spool could very well be a deal breaker.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:02 am

I have a 1016H SV, not sure if it's the same one you're inquiring about. Mine is the current black model. I've had it for a while now, took it in trade for another reel. I've actually only used mine a couple times, once with the original spool for a Carolina rig, and another with a ZPI M spool in blue to match the Steez SVF AGS rod. I was throwing a 1/2 oz tungsten barrel weight with the Carolina, and 3/8 oz bullet weight for a 12" worm, in both cases it handled those weights fine.

I also have a Conquest 200HG, very similar reels in casting abilities, only I feel like the CNQ is a bit smoother.

Not sure if this helps or if this even the model Ryoga you're inquiring about.