Looking to add new rod...can't decide

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Bmauldin22
Angler
Angler

Looking to add new rod...can't decide

Post by Bmauldin22 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:16 pm

Candidates: Megabass Valdivia, Megabass Orochi Tour Versatile (Gen 2), or a GLX 844c. I want to get a heavy powered rod that would be versatile not just for bottom contact applications. i.e mid sized swimbaits like the 6 inch magdraft, frogs, and larger topwater. Rod would be used in open water situations and dock/structure situations also. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking to add new rod...can't decide

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:12 pm

I only used the Gen 1 Tour Versatile but, I felt it was pretty versatile. I thought using it with braid was a little too stiff for spinnerbaits personally. Great for frogs, small swimbaits and jigs. Buzzbaits did well but, thats as far as I would go for topwaters (besides frogs).
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:45 pm

You may consider adding the new Megabass JDM Destroyer Carbon Head Wild Bunch to the candidate list. I just recently got mine and it's exactly that - a highly versatile, heavy powered rod with excellent sensitivity. I've thrown the I-Jack (1 oz) on it and it handled it well and could easily handle larger top water baits. It handles a 5" Bull Shad and the 6" Magdraft really nicely. Feel free to PM me for more info on this rod...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Bmauldin22
Angler
Angler

Post by Bmauldin22 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:49 pm

I completely forgot to look at the JDM Destroyer lineup. That rod sounds like it may be the ticket. Thanks for the input guys.