NRC001-M

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: NRC001-M

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:02 pm

If you look at the inductor width on SS SV stock spool, it's quite wide. Compare it to the width of the Zpi Nrc001-m. Same goes for the SLP SV1000 and SV105 spools - bigger inductor. Then factor in the magnetic polarity of each different reel, and you really don't know what you might end up with.
I thought the Steez SV TW 1016 spool would be money in my SV103 - Nope. The M is a faster spool than the PG, but I haven't compared inductor widths. That's where I always start when contemplating spool swaps. I try to judge the size of the inductors. A good example of this was between my Steez SV103 and Steez SV TW spools. I found the Steez SV103 stock spool a bit choked off, and comparing inductors, the Steez SV TW spool inductor was just slightly smaller. I think the best way to split this is between older and newer Daiwa reels. Old spools typically play well in new reels, but not always vice versa.
It doesn't surprise me that the Zpi M was really wild in the SS SV. I found the Steez SV TW spool pretty fast in it, so the M probably cooked pretty good.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:11 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:02 pm
If you look at the inductor width on SS SV stock spool, it's quite wide. Compare it to the width of the Zpi Nrc001-m. Same goes for the SLP SV1000 and SV105 spools - bigger inductor. Then factor in the magnetic polarity of each different reel, and you really don't know what you might end up with.
I thought the Steez SV TW 1016 spool would be money in my SV103 - Nope. The M is a faster spool than the PG, but I haven't compared inductor widths. That's where I always start when contemplating spool swaps. I try to judge the size of the inductors. A good example of this was between my Steez SV103 and Steez SV TW spools. I found the Steez SV103 stock spool a bit choked off, and comparing inductors, the Steez SV TW spool inductor was just slightly smaller. I think the best way to split this is between older and newer Daiwa reels. Old spools typically play well in new reels, but not always vice versa.
It doesn't surprise me that the Zpi M was really wild in the SS SV. I found the Steez SV TW spool pretty fast in it, so the M probably cooked pretty good.
Were there any reels you liked the SLP SV1000 in?

I like the M in my steez sv tw and the pg in my steez A. I have another pg I put in an sv103 but haven't tried it yet.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:57 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:11 am

I have the shallow version (basically a 105 or 1012 spool, I really wish they'd settle on a system for these numbers...) and as you might expect, it was great in the T3, the reel it was designed for. Of course, I think Magforce 3D means almost any spool will shine (or at least function) in that reel.

I also tried it in a Luna 103 and it was just too fast for that reel. It would get really wild unless I turned the brakes up enough to kill the castability. The SLP Steez SV 105 is excellent in that reel, though. It was too tame in the SS SV 103 I originally intended it for.

Lastly, I slapped it in that SS SV 103, and there it remains. It is awesome, awesome, awesome in that reel. It's predictably wild, if that makes sense. I mostly use it on a 65ML rod casting 1/4oz hardbaits and that combo will sling cranks wayyy out there without much effort. I can keep the brakes down comfortably low for the most part and know that the spool will want to backlash at about the same stage early in every cast, but after a quick stab with my thumb to regulate it, it will sing for the rest of the cast as the bait sails off.

I don't remember using anything other than 20# braid with that spool. :-k
This is the way.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:37 am

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:57 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

I have the shallow version (basically a 105 or 1012 spool, I really wish they'd settle on a system for these numbers...) and as you might expect, it was great in the T3, the reel it was designed for. Of course, I think Magforce 3D means almost any spool will shine (or at least function) in that reel.

I also tried it in a Luna 103 and it was just too fast for that reel. It would get really wild unless I turned the brakes up enough to kill the castability. The SLP Steez SV 105 is excellent in that reel, though. It was too tame in the SS SV 103 I originally intended it for.

Lastly, I slapped it in that SS SV 103, and there it remains. It is awesome, awesome, awesome in that reel. It's predictably wild, if that makes sense. I mostly use it on a 65ML rod casting 1/4oz hardbaits and that combo will sling cranks wayyy out there without much effort. I can keep the brakes down comfortably low for the most part and know that the spool will want to backlash at about the same stage early in every cast, but after a quick stab with my thumb to regulate it, it will sing for the rest of the cast as the bait sails off.

I don't remember using anything other than 20# braid with that spool. :-k
Hmm I'm not sure whether I have the shallow or deep sv1000. I'll have to check when I get home. It came with a reel I bought but I had other plans for it. Now I'm kind of wondering how it would perform.

Anyway thanks for the info.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:45 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

I like the M in my steez sv tw and the pg in my steez A. I have another pg I put in an sv103 but haven't tried it yet.
I really liked it in the Tdz for applications where I needed more line capacity. Though realistically for most applications, I never really need more line than what the 1012 holds. I also ran the FX68 1010 spool in my 2nd Tdz for less line capacity.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:45 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

I really liked it in the Tdz for applications where I needed more line capacity. Though realistically for most applications, I never really need more line than what the 1012 holds. I also ran the FX68 1010 spool in my 2nd Tdz for less line capacity.
Was that the deep or shallow sv1000? (Didn't know there was more than one when I asked)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:57 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:58 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:45 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

Was that the deep or shallow sv1000? (Didn't know there was more than one when I asked)
I had the deep. The shallow version has an ever so slightly larger inductor than the SLP Steez SV105 spool.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:55 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:57 pm

I had the deep. The shallow version has an ever so slightly larger inductor than the SLP Steez SV105 spool.
I noticed that the label on the case for the shallow says I'ze Factory on it while the one for the deep says SLP. Wonder what's up with that and if it has something to do with the inductors...
This is the way.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:32 am

Of recent times I brought some purple spools One of which was an SV 105 and the other an SV1012 they were the same but different and as I looked through my spool case I noticed that the G1 Spools are not only lighter ( they have cut outs in the middle) but the inductor was thinner. I have an ZPI M spool in a TDZ R+ and in a IS79 and its okay but to me the PG out shines the M spool. Maybe I am not doing something right but I'll go back to trying out different things. Right now my order of preference is the Kahen, PG, G1, M spool

Has anyone used braid on the M spool? I need some 40lb braid and may try it with the M spool.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:40 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:32 am

Has anyone used braid on the M spool? I need some 40lb braid and may try it with the M spool.
I'm afraid to try braid on that spool. I feel like I really ought to baby that thing. I've seen other guys say that it worked just fine on theirs, though.

I think I actually prefer the MB honeycomb to this one. Trouble is I can't test them in the same reel because my MB is for a Zonda.
This is the way.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:56 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:40 am
goldrod wrote:

I'm afraid to try braid on that spool. I feel like I really ought to baby that thing. I've seen other guys say that it worked just fine on theirs, though.

I think I actually prefer the MB honeycomb to this one. Trouble is I can't test them in the same reel because my MB is for a Zonda.
Wow, you prefer the zonda honeycomb to the m? I haven't used my honeycomb yet but I love my M. Guess I really better use that honeycomb before selling it.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:57 pm

goldrod wrote:
Of recent times I brought some purple spools One of which was an SV 105 and the other an SV1012 they were the same but different and as I looked through my spool case I noticed that the G1 Spools are not only lighter ( they have cut outs in the middle) but the inductor was thinner. I have an ZPI M spool in a TDZ R+ and in a IS79 and its okay but to me the PG out shines the M spool. Maybe I am not doing something right but I'll go back to trying out different things. Right now my order of preference is the Kahen, PG, G1, M spool

Do you like the PG better than the r+ spool in the tdz?

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:22 am

I use braid on a M spool. Fits more than enough 30lb 832. Throw topwaters a lot with it. Lipless in the spring. Have used it for up to 1/2oz chatterbaits with no issues in a pinch. I should note I was not fishing heavy grass. I've used it to fish the chatterbaits around docks and light weeds at night. Below is an older thread regarding the usage of braid and the zpi nrc spools.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=77621