Daiwa Morethan PE Baitcaster...any other spools that fit?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Jevans1770
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Morethan PE Baitcaster...any other spools that fit?

Post by Jevans1770 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:00 pm

I have the 14'-16' Morethan PE. Love the thing; great for PE line. But the spool is shallow and doesn't hold enough mono to wing heavier lures a long ways. I believe it has a 34mm spool - anyone know if any other Daiwa spools with more line capacity will work with it?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Morethan PE Baitcaster...any other spools that fit?

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:02 pm

If it’s the PE SV or first version of the morethan baitcaster, I believe you have a 36 mm spool. This limits your aftermarket possibilities like recent zpi and ktf offerings are a no go b/c they focus on 34s. Half of their newer spools are on the shallow side anyway. So, you’d have to look into the older 36 zillion spools or I suppose OG zillions. Aquaftm (maybe misspelling) on the forum has/had that reel and has done quite a bit of exploring with various spools; may be a good resource.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:17 pm

I'm pretty sure the closest you'll find are the spools from the Zillion TWS variants, of which there aren't many, but there are deeper fixed inductor type spools, more standard capacity Mag Z spools, an HLC... Don't know if any of them fit, though. I asked once about getting a Morethan spool for a Zillion TWS, and the answer was that it wouldn't work. Not sure why exactly. Maybe it was something simple and fixable like a pinion shaft or something or maybe it's something that makes it completely incompatible like it's the wrong width or diameter. 🤷‍♂️
This is the way.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:38 pm

If my memory serves me correctly the Morethan TW SV spool is 34MM in Diameter, but wider that the normal 34MM Steez type variants. I believe it is the same width as the 1500 Zillion TW 36MM spool. If you look where the spool fits into the frame on both sides you should see a line around the frame where they must have added to the the frame cast to resize it for that spool. In theory Mountain Man could ream that out for you and it would fit the 1514, 1516, or 1520 spools. You can have a Morethan HLC...

Does anyone know the daimeter and width of the Tatula spool variants? I know there are many, but I almost think that there is a tatula spool that is the exact same size, you would just need to cut the extended shaft to fit, which would be easy.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:54 pm

The Tatula spool is 34mm and probably the same width, but I don't know if it would be possible to fit a bearing to the spool.

Also, if the Morethan spool is 34mm I bet there's a spacer on the magnet assembly which it may not function without. I suppose you could either acquire the magnets or the entire palm plate from a Zillion TWS variant if that proves to be the case.
This is the way.

Jevans1770
Angler
Angler

Post by Jevans1770 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks everyone. Sounds not promising!

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:55 am

Morethan has free floating spool. Tatula has full length axle.