Shimano ftb braking adjustment

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Ish87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano ftb braking adjustment

Post by Ish87 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:52 pm

Does anyone one know why theres are a letter n on the magnets from the ftb braking system? Is there a difference in braking power if those magnets where turned upside down? I’m trying to adjust the braking power on my Calcutta bfs reel.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano ftb braking adjustment

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:07 pm

I dont remember mine having letters. I also have an Aldebaran BFS and a Scorpion BFS. The N I presume would mean north. Reel magnets generally dont have a power difference without there being a noticeable size difference (if the magnets came in the same box).

The magnets will "snap" themselves into place on top of each other.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Ish87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ish87 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:16 pm

So I was messing around and I noticed that magnets side with the n had less power and the side that didn’t. I had to get really close to the n side of the magnet before stuck to the twizers I was using and when I tried the side without the n I didn’t have to get as close before it would stick to the twizers. I tried it a few times to make sure I wasn’t seeing things. So I went ahead and put them back in with the n facing down to see if it will make a difference. Let me know if you notice any difference.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:20 pm

The N should be facing outwards. If you want less braking it's better to remove than flipping the magnet.