Shimano BFS rods question

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano BFS rods question

Post by Mike son » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:03 pm

I must note I have no BFS equipment experience. I've been considering getting a Shimano BFS rod for the past month or so. Something I've noticed however is that nearly all their BFS rods are rated at the low end at 4 grams. I've got a newest generation Poison Adrena 6'6 ML that's rated down to 5 grams. How much more I'm I gaining by getting a Shimano BFS rod?

Tested the adrena with a small amount of 8lb mono on a stock Steez SV TW. Was able to cast a 7.91 gram total weight tube nicely. Just recently was able to test the same tube with the Steez SV TW with a ZPI M spool with 12lb sniper and was actually casting better.

Ultimately, I think I'll be casting down to about 5 grams. I've weighed a couple finesse options I'm considering and the lowest was 4.93 grams. I haven't been able to test any lower weights than the tube set up on the Adrena. I plan to use this style of fishing for small river smallmouth and some finesse largemouth fishing in lakes. I realize line type and even the reel will come into consideration more as I drop towards 5 grams but I'd like this discussion to focus on the topic of the rod.

Also of note, the BFS rods I'm looking at are typically rated 4-12g and my Adrena ML is rated 5-15g. The line rating only drops a few pounds relative to the Adrena ML. Because I have no experience with BFS, I find it hard to imagine a noticeable difference jumping to a Shimano BFS rod, though I want to think that there is.

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Shimano BFS rods question

Post by fishes » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:17 pm

the benefit you get out of a dedicated bfs rod really depends on how low you actually plan on throwing.With a dedicated bass bfs setup (a steez racing design bfs rod with an Aldebaran bfs) I can cast down to about 1/16oz, like 1.8 grams total lure weight. I dont often cast lures that low but what I really like about the combo is that I can cast lures in the 3ish gram range effortlessly and accurately.
So, I think it wouldn't be worlds different for the baits you seem to be throwing but I do think you might find casting would be easier/more accurate/etc

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:46 am

I have a wide range of bfs sticks from UL trout powered rods on up. The shimano bfs rods i've handled have all been on the more powerful side as far as bfs specific bass rods go. I would consider them a L+ or a ML- power.

If you think 5g is the lowest you would be going then I'd stay with the ML, a bit more backbone to set a little bit larger hook and 5g will still load the rod. If you decide to get the urge to go into the 2-4g baits then you'll find the lighter power rods will usually gain some distance over the ML and the accuracy is better with lightweights. Id recommend a true bfs specific spool and or reel to make the most of the bfs rods.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:19 pm

Fair points. I do believe I need to get a BFS rod for the 5 gram lures I plan to throw. I was just shocked that the Shimano BFS rods were mostly rated at the low end at 4 grams. Not a big jump from the low end rating of 5 grams on my currently used Poison Adrena ML.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:13 am

Ratings and reality are two different things. I have rods rated down to 1g and there's no way 1g will load them. I also have a rod rated at 3.5g on the low end but I have no problem casting under 2g.