JDM bottom contact rod

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Uknowme
Angler
Angler

JDM bottom contact rod

Post by Uknowme » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:22 am

Over the last few years I have progressively improved my gear to the point I am now knocking on the JDM door. This leads to my subject line. What is the bees knees of the JDM world for bottom contact? What models should I be chasing down? Evergreen rods seem promising but then I came across Luxxe, Sedition and Steez RD. I also saw the new Daiwa Steez Bottom Contact rod that was recently released that is available in the US. I know a few of you are heavy into the JDM world that could save me some time and money. Any help would be appreciated.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: JDM bottom contact rod

Post by Cranky » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:12 pm

Depends a little on what weights your going to run and your overall rod and fishing style preference. Off the top of my head I’d suggest these as the elite top options from the various brands in the 7’ heavy range: Evergreen Rapid Gunner, Luxxe Oltre B70H, Poison Ultima 172H, and Steez RD 7011HRD.

I myself favor more powerful rods with faster actions and slightly longer rear grips vs a lot of typical JDM rods. I’m using the EG Rapid Gunner and it suits my preferences perfectly.

I should add that I’ve also looked at the Luxxe Oltre for something slightly lighter power than the Rapid Gunner but the new(er) Luxxe Efreet rods are very interesting on paper with arguably better specs but a lower price point than the Oltre that’s been around longer. Certainly a very interesting option too, I just don’t think hardly anyone outside of Japan has an Efreet in H or XH to compare.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:48 pm

Rick has an Efreet but I am not sure if it’s MH or H.
But it’s one bad stick
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:58 am

Cranky wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:12 pm
Luxxe Efreet rods are very interesting on paper with arguably better specs but a lower price point than the Oltre that’s been around longer.
Assuming the “arguably better specs” of the effreet is the inclusion of toray t1100 in the marketing of that rods series? I wrote a lengthy post a while back outlining the challenges of interpreting the marketing hype around the “top” JDM offerings but in short there are multiple products within the Toray T1100 moniker each covering specific applications and varying price points.
I have not fished an effreet, steez RD, sedition, nor the newer EG offerings but there are people who have. If it were my money I would search the forum and reach out to people directly soliciting opinions.

Uknowme
Angler
Angler

Post by Uknowme » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:50 am

Thanks so far guys. I am on research over load. I have read just about every post about JDM rods available via searching forums hoping to expand my knowledge and all it really has done is confuse me more. The most I would throw on it would be 3/4 oz. jig and t rigs. Some of these rods have specs up to 3 oz. I prefer at least a 7' rod.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:11 am

Uknowme wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:50 am
Thanks so far guys. I am on research over load. I have read just about every post about JDM rods available via searching forums hoping to expand my knowledge and all it really has done is confuse me more. The most I would throw on it would be 3/4 oz. jig and t rigs. Some of these rods have specs up to 3 oz. I prefer at least a 7' rod.
Shimano Poison Ultima or Luxxe Oltre would be my recommendation for top of the line JDM bottom contact. Both have M to H versions that would cover the lure weight ranges you use most often.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:55 pm

I think anyone who has any of the above mentioned rods is going to tell you they’re all exceptional choices and a blast to fish. At that JDM level you’re splitting lots of hairs aside from mostly aesthetics and brand loyalties.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:50 pm

Ultima way to easy to obtain than Oltre. Don’t know what graphite actually used to build Ultima’s. Anyway, I would wait three more weeks to see what new tackle is coming up at Yokohama expo.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:20 am

Cranky wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:55 pm
I think anyone who has any of the above mentioned rods is going to tell you they’re all exceptional choices and a blast to fish. At that JDM level you’re splitting lots of hairs aside from mostly aesthetics and brand loyalties.
This. Measuring any of these rods on "objective" measures would very likely show little separation. Subjectively, I think it comes down to rod length (what you prefer) and how you like to fish. All of the rods mentioned in this thread are awesome. Have heard great things about the Daiwa Steez Racing Design as well to further muddy the waters.
Cracker wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:50 pm
Ultima way to easy to obtain than Oltre. Don’t know what graphite actually used to build Ultima’s. Anyway, I would wait three more weeks to see what new tackle is coming up at Yokohama expo.
The Ultimas have a similar look and feel to the graphite (the spiral pattern up the blank before the first guide) similar to the Shimano/Gloomis Conquest line. I'm not 100% that the material is the same, but it looks and feels very similar.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:41 am

jmb27 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:20 am
Cracker wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:50 pm
The Ultimas have a similar look and feel to the graphite (the spiral pattern up the blank before the first guide) similar to the Shimano/Gloomis Conquest line. I'm not 100% that the material is the same, but it looks and feels very similar.
I have Ultima, Glorious and Adrena. And, I also noticed Ultima and Glorious have a similar look and pattern in blank finish.
I still believe Ultima gotta have better graphite than Glorious. Hopefully it is a Toray 1100G.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:06 am

Cracker wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:41 am

I have Ultima, Glorious and Adrena. And, I also noticed Ultima and Glorious have a similar look and pattern in blank finish.
I still believe Ultima gotta have better graphite than Glorious. Hopefully it is a Toray 1100G.
I have a few Ultima rods and they are incredible, regardless of the graphite that is used to build the blank. The 66M Versatile has become my favorite rod and IMO, it would be a runaway winner in the "search for one."

Here's the Shimano Japan page on the tech in the Ultima rods.

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/rod/3533

They are talking about Spiral X tech in the rod blank and "nanopitch" used in the wrapping on the rod blank.

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:19 pm

Take a look at the steez racing design "jigga stick" or the "hustler". Its hard to beat the racing designs, in my opinion they are the best rods on the market right now

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lzeil » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:11 pm

cant go wrong with any of the recommendations, have fun on your jdm journey

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:12 pm

As it relates to bottom contact, I'd have to agree with the above comment regarding the RD.
An interesting look is the new 2020 Olympic Vigore. They look great on paper, especially the 7'6 MH with its full cork, Ti/Torz Guide train, Torayca 1100G, carbon lockdown, manufactured in house in Japan. 126 grams with a $400 price tag. Whew...

http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/fishing/pr ... 20-vigore/

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:21 pm

fishes wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:19 pm
Take a look at the steez racing design "jigga stick" or the "hustler". Its hard to beat the racing designs, in my opinion they are the best rods on the market right now
Have you any Evergreens?
I’m curious about the comparison
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible