JDM bottom contact rod

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Uknowme
Angler
Angler

Re: JDM bottom contact rod

Post by Uknowme » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:46 am

Thanks fellas. You have added rods I was not even aware of. I live in Michigan so I have time to dial in my decision. So please if anyone has any more intel please share it. I can not imagine I am the only one interested in this topic. I am surprised not to hear anything about Evergreen yet. I have been eye balling the Super Stallion series but again it seems there are multiple versions just in that line.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:38 am

I mentioned Evergreen in the first reply. I’d consider the Rapid Gunner the top bottom contact option from Evergreen.

Action-wise the Rapid Gunner is an extra-fast and the Super Stallion is more medium-fast to fast. The power of both rods and ratings are almost identical but the choice between those two comes down to action preference. If you want F/XF but a little lighter power you’d want the Gunslinger and lighter yet would be the Egoist. So it depends on what power range you are looking for. Evergreen makes absolutely incredible rods. Keep in mind the actions tend to be more moderate and the high end of the lure ratings are overstated compared to a USDM rod convention. For example if G-Loomis sold an identical Rapid Gunner or Super Stallion my opinion is it’d basically be called a “845” rated something like 3/8-1.5oz.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:24 am

Uknowme wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:46 am
I am surprised not to hear anything about Evergreen yet.
If the most that you would throw on the rod is 3/4 oz, then the Super Stallion might not be the best choice, assuming that you are talking about bottom contact. The TKLC SS and TKIC SS are really good rods given their versatility--you can throw a spinnerbait, swimbaits, jigs, etc, but it's not the (subjective) "best" at bottom contact, IMO.

Within Evergreen, the Kaleido line has the Black Racer (a medium rod) and Black Raven models (a MH). The Black Racer is sensitive (TT has a review of this rod in their archives) and would work well with weights up to 1/2. I've used it for buzz baits a bunch too. I haven't fished a Black Raven.

But as Cranky mentioned, the Rapid Gunner is designed for heavier jigs/bottom contact. IIRC, someone within this section of the forums gave a review of the rod.

Obviously, with you having took the red pill and posting with the Enthusiast & Import Tackle section, the correct answer is to pick 2 (different brands) and let us know how you like them. :lol: :D

Uknowme
Angler
Angler

Post by Uknowme » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:19 pm

Cranky wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:38 am
I mentioned Evergreen in the first reply. I’d consider the Rapid Gunner the top bottom contact option from Evergreen.

Action-wise the Rapid Gunner is an extra-fast and the Super Stallion is more medium-fast to fast. The power of both rods and ratings are almost identical but the choice between those two comes down to action preference. If you want F/XF but a little lighter power you’d want the Gunslinger and lighter yet would be the Egoist. So it depends on what power range you are looking for. Evergreen makes absolutely incredible rods. Keep in mind the actions tend to be more moderate and the high end of the lure ratings are overstated compared to a USDM rod convention. For example if G-Loomis sold an identical Rapid Gunner or Super Stallion my opinion is it’d basically be called a “845” rated something like 3/8-1.5oz.
You are correct Cranky. Lots of information I forgot your Rapid Gunner suggestion. I did read your review on the Rapid Gunner and I like what you had to say about it. I believe we have similar fishing styles I just fish a touch lighter. I will take a look at the Gunslinger. Something you had said in that post is that the sensitivity is up there with NRX. Is the NRX that good comparatively to the JDM scene? I know this is opinion based.

I also need to research all of these rods everyone has brought up. Really appreciate the suggestions guys. I am not brand loyal and price is not a major concern. I am willing to spend several hundred more if needed for a higher quality stick.

Obviously, with you having took the red pill and posting with the Enthusiast & Import Tackle section, the correct answer is to pick 2 (different brands) and let us know how you like them. :lol: :D
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: There's an idea. No doubt in my mind if I head down this road there is no turning back and I will have more than one but one at a time for me. Solid suggestion though.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:36 pm

Highly recommend looking at the Gunslinger if you want something for baits mostly in that 3/8-1/2 oz range. Great fit for those and that’s on the lighter end of the Rapid Gunner for sure. I think these EG models are more sensitive than NRX, certainly no worse in my hands. They balance way better, have way better reel seats, guides, fit/finish, rod butt length, and to me they look 1000x more badass...

As far as the NRX comment goes I think that’s a pretty widely agreed upon reference point for sensitivity. And yes, NRX are way way up toward the top of the wide world of fishing rods sensitivity wise (not “the” top tho), love them or hate them. I personally think there’s a FEW JDM rods more sensitive, MOST JDM rods are definitely not (including many very highly regarded brands/models), but again there are lots of other opinions out there too.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:19 pm

Hadn't owned a jdm rod since owning a few of the steez rods when they came over here years ago. Wanted a couple of ultra light weight, perfectly balanced and sexy sticks to complement my american muscle. Ordered a couple of glorious sticks and was more than impressed by how they fished. As a matter of fact, my 5th and 6th stick should be here next week, so I've apparently completely lost my mind 8-) .

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:07 am

KP Duty wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:19 pm
Hadn't owned a jdm rod since owning a few of the steez rods when they came over here years ago. Wanted a couple of ultra light weight, perfectly balanced and sexy sticks to complement my american muscle. Ordered a couple of glorious sticks and was more than impressed by how they fished. As a matter of fact, my 5th and 6th stick should be here next week, so I've apparently completely lost my mind 8-) .
Good, good. :lol:

Let us know which models and how you like them.

Captain Jack Sparrow
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Captain Jack Sparrow » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:47 am

Have used many of top range rods from different brands in the past. Until recently I had the chance to feel Steez RD during an exhibition. I know that I had to make it mine... Bought it and true enough, it is the best rod I’ve ever used or felt my entire life.

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:07 am

I had used many amazing bottom contact rods:
MB Destroyer - Super Destroyer F6-69X - super sensitive heavy jig rod for close pitching, casting.
MB Destroyer X7 F5st-611X7 Bearing Down Type-X - ultimate T rig rod, they just don't have a clue about the solid tip and suck that bait in. The solid can be scary at the beginning to cast with, but once you get teh hang of it it's amazing.
Evergreen Kaleido - TKIC-66MH - Black Raven - ultimate "bottom sensor" :D , can feel the fish even just sniffing at the lure
Evergreen Heracles - HCSC-70MH - The Bluemeister - great allround jig, T-rig rig rod
Evergreen Heracles - HCSC- 70H - Heracles - another great Heavy jig rod better caster than the Super Destroyer, hence I sold the MB.
All amazing rods.