Feed Lures Jungle Bash Rods?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Feed Lures Jungle Bash Rods?

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:31 pm

I assume it's a long shot, but any of you guys have experience with or even know anything about these rods? Specficly I am looking at the Feed Lures Jungle Bash JBC-64 XH.

I am still toying around with the idea a "short-n-heavy" rod for frogs, 1oz glides, and larger topwaters. I bought a short Kuying snakehead rod this past summer for this stuff but it's a little too soft for good hook-sets on frogs and the 5'4" length does not help with hook-sets if there is any slack in the line. I am looking for a rod that is a bit stiffer and the Feed Line came up. Not a lot of info out there but it sounds like they are made by MajorCraft, who I trust to make a decent rod. The line/weight ratings on the JBC-64 XH seem like what I am looking for and the 6'4" length is still very short but might be a better compromise.

Any info would be appreciated.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Feed Lures Jungle Bash Rods?

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:39 pm

Ok, Clearly I’m going to have to be the guinea pig for this one. I’ll order it sometime next week and let you guys know how it works out.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Tue May 12, 2020 6:50 pm

So how do you like them? The xxxh looks like a great contender for kayak pike/musky rod.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed May 13, 2020 8:32 am

rando wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:50 pm
So how do you like them? The xxxh looks like a great contender for kayak pike/musky rod.
I chickened out and ended up with a purpose-built short frog rod from the JDM Daiwa Black Label line. The more I read about these short heavy game rods the more I began to think that they would be too heavy for my needs and would likely not have the tip action I was looking for.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed May 13, 2020 6:10 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:32 am
rando wrote:
I chickened out and ended up with a purpose-built short frog rod from the JDM Daiwa Black Label line. The more I read about these short heavy game rods the more I began to think that they would be too heavy for my needs and would likely not have the tip action I was looking for.
Look into the Fishman Brist rods. I have the 5.10 MXH and it's awesome. It's only 5'10" 3 piece but reminds me of the MB X4 destruction, but slightly faster until you put a heavy load. I've used it shore fishing in Maui with tiny baits like 16th oz jig heads with 3" keitech easy shiners and my 19 Morethan. I used it offshore with big heavy poppers over 1.5oz. I've used it locally for bay stripers, halibut, and bass fishing my float tube with many various lures. I keep it in my truck at all times, and bring it everywhere I travel. I've caught more species of fish with this rod than all of my other rods combined. It can handle nearly anything just check out some of these youtube vids.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... st+5.10mxh+

JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JWY » Thu May 14, 2020 7:02 am

domthewon wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:10 pm
Houndfish wrote:
rando wrote:
Look into the Fishman Brist rods. I have the 5.10 MXH and it's awesome. It's only 5'10" 3 piece but reminds me of the MB X4 destruction, but slightly faster until you put a heavy load. I've used it shore fishing in Maui with tiny baits like 16th oz jig heads with 3" keitech easy shiners and my 19 Morethan. I used it offshore with big heavy poppers over 1.5oz. I've used it locally for bay stripers, halibut, and bass fishing my float tube with many various lures. I keep it in my truck at all times, and bring it everywhere I travel. I've caught more species of fish with this rod than all of my other rods combined. It can handle nearly anything just check out some of these youtube vids.

Mate, I'm glad you like my recommendation from a while ago! I wondered how you like the Brist 510MXH since the purchase.

It's still one of my favourite baitcasting rods and definitely the most versatile.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu May 14, 2020 7:17 am

JWY wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:02 am
domthewon wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:10 pm
Houndfish wrote:
rando wrote:

Mate, I'm glad you like my recommendation from a while ago! I wondered how you like the Brist 510MXH since the purchase.

It's still one of my favourite baitcasting rods and definitely the most versatile.
Right on! I couldn’t remember who recommended it, but yes I really appreciate the recommendation on it. After trying it I couldn’t be more impressed. It’s an amazing rod and fishes much better than I ever thought it could at only 5’10”. I can cast lures further on it than many 7’ rods. It’s one of my favorite rods as well. Like I said I take it everywhere. Thank you.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu May 14, 2020 11:23 am

I looked into the Brist as well when on the shorty-frog hunt but I couldn't get past the taper. I just didn't see a way that something that soft could set a jig or a frog hook reliably. I found some translated stuff on the Fishman site talking about throwing chatterbaits on a 5.10 MXH and I could see it being a good rod for single hook moving stuff.

Have either of you guys ever tried frog fishing/jighook topwaters on yours?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu May 14, 2020 1:56 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:23 am
I looked into the Brist as well when on the shorty-frog hunt but I couldn't get past the taper. I just didn't see a way that something that soft could set a jig or a frog hook reliably. I found some translated stuff on the Fishman site talking about throwing chatterbaits on a 5.10 MXH and I could see it being a good rod for single hook moving stuff.

Have either of you guys ever tried frog fishing/jighook topwaters on yours?
Yes sir. Frogs are fine on it for me.Not my first choice bait, but as a travel rod it worked well. It has a faster tip than the X4 Destruction and similar power through the taper. I have caught quite a few frog fish on the X4 destruction also, but always wished the tip was a little faster. I won’t call it a perfect frog rod, but for a travel style 3 piece rod it’s pretty darn good. I’ve caught bass up to 6 lbs on mine. I’m pretty sure this guy is throwing a frog, and you can really see the taper well. The tip is somewhat soft but once it starts to get into the meat of the taper the power really shows up.
https://youtu.be/nCo2J2CKvlI

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri May 15, 2020 11:11 am

domthewon wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:56 pm
Yes sir. Frogs are fine on it for me.Not my first choice bait, but as a travel rod it worked well. It has a faster tip than the X4 Destruction and similar power through the taper. I have caught quite a few frog fish on the X4 destruction also, but always wished the tip was a little faster. I won’t call it a perfect frog rod, but for a travel style 3 piece rod it’s pretty darn good. I’ve caught bass up to 6 lbs on mine. I’m pretty sure this guy is throwing a frog, and you can really see the taper well. The tip is somewhat soft but once it starts to get into the meat of the taper the power really shows up.
https://youtu.be/nCo2J2CKvlI
Thanks for the info, that video was something. I have been looking for a heavier travel rod, assuming I ever get to travel again. :cry:

One of my favorite frog rods also has a less than ideal tip, so I can make so so long the it can allow good hookset chances.