Steez Racing Design 701MH / HXB-ST

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez Racing Design 701MH / HXB-ST

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:10 pm

jpmoney wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:27 am
Polkfish1 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:16 pm
jpmoney wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:14 am
Just looking to resurrect this post. I'm looking to acquire a hustler finesse tune, and wondering how the guys who have used them for a while now like them? Is it the real deal for texas rigs? Has the rod performed up to it's price, delivering durability, sensitivity and the right taper for the job? Let me know your thoughts if you have used one.

I'm planning on using it for compact tungsten jigs w/compact trailers mostly 1/4 to 3/8 and maybe 1/2oz. Texas rigs 1/4 to 3/8, all of which in light to moderate cover. Can this rod handle the moderate cover with the solid tip design, and be able to horse fish out and dominate them? or is that solid tip design limiting the rod to working best for a no-cover situation?

I have the 7011HRB jigga stick and absolutely love it for the bigger stuff 1/2-3/4. Just hoping the finesse tune will be a bit lighter and have a faster tip section, but without sacrificing too much pulling power.

Thanks!

Yeah; I still love the rod. 3/8th is about as high as I go with it; senkos and such. I have not found the solid tip to be limiting. I’ll throw into thick cover with it if the situation requires it; I just won’t lean on the fish like I would with a flippin stick and braid. I’ve had no issues with lacking power. Does it fish to its price? I don’t know if any of the super expensive rods do. It’s crazy sensitive. It’s really comfortable and just a pleasure to fish. But I’m not sure if I could convince anyone that’s it’s truly worth what they charge. It’s a guilty pleasure I certainly enjoy. The types of applications you describe are right in the wheelhouse for this rod in terms of the way I fish. The technical tune would also perform these duties well if you’re concerned about the solid tip. For senkos I like the solid tip on the days bigger ones have a more subtle take rather than causing a tick on an inhale. You can’t miss a frog farting in the lake with this rod.
Thanks for the info! It's always a challenge when reading information about high end big dollar rods online and trying to figure out exactly how it fishes in a real life situation. It's a bit of a risk not knowing but seeing what you have to say has confirmed in me that I need this rod...lol! I find the past couple years I have been focusing on heavier powered rods and seemed to have neglected the MH range. Also I'm glad to hear it has some balls to get the fish moving.

I have the jigga stick for comparison - do you think the finesse tune has significantly less power in the butt section? I realize the finesse tune's tip is definitely softer and faster. But if I were to put it into loomis "power rating" terms, is it a full power down, or more?
Thanks in advance for all the insight to this rod.
I feel like it’s at least one power down. Somewhere in the ballpark of a conquest 3 power maybe. The jigga stick itself is fairly ballsy though. The finesse tune is fast and the tip is softer than the technical tune, but once you get into the bat you can move fish. I have my ‘daily drivers’ that I beat on pretty hard and this is not one of them. But, when I fish it now, it doesn’t cross my mind anymore that I maybe should treat it differently because of the solid tip. But I also don’t horse fish around with it like I might with a lot of my other rods.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:26 pm

I still love mine as well. I use it per the name Hustler finesse tune. I have a 7”wacky senko tied on right now, but use it for drop shot with 3/8 tungsten cylinder weights. I’ve also thrown Texas rigs, jika rigs, and lots of neko rigged worms on it. I keep all my gear as nice and clean and nice as possible, but fish them as if they were a Walmart special. These rods are top notch, and have held up very well since I’ve owned them.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:17 pm

Bumping for awareness. This is like the 10th time I have read this thread. I'll be fishing a 7' M+ ST Jackall BPM this season just because I am so intrigued by the idea of a solid tip MH bass rod and want to test the waters.