Steez Racing Design 701MH / HXB-ST

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez Racing Design 701MH / HXB-ST

Post by hungry_cow » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:52 pm

Breaking in the Designo Leben
Attachments
IMG_8602 (3).jpg
IMG_8602 (3).jpg (30.76 KiB) Viewed 8105 times

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:23 pm

hungry_cow wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:49 pm
domthewon wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:27 pm
The closest rod that I have to compare is a Designo Leben C71MH+RST2S TT Kamiya tuned except it's one piece. The tips are similar on these models but the dual taper on the Designo is ever so slightly more moderate. The Designo Lebens are flat out some of the most sensitive rods I own or have ever fished. They are extremely clear and dragging tungsten on rocks is almost like the nails on a chalkboard in a good way
Got my Designo Leben C71MH+RST2S TT Kamiya tuned today! Fished it a couple hours for first impressions. The first thing that struck me it is by far the most ergonomically comfortable reel seat and forenut combo ive ever fished in a rod! Exquisite build quality. The last 3 seasons ive fished bottom contact almost exclusively with a Nautilus or Javelin. This rod has a very similar power and taper but the shorter length makes skipping easier. Most of my rods are on the Megabass flagship level so not much experience with rods of this caliber but its a clear step above those rods in sensitivity. Notice it especially at the end of a long cast. Similar sensitivity to what I remember from my NRX 893 but hated the light XF tip on that rod that didn't mesh with the rest of it. But its been awhile so can't say if its more sensitive or not. A little heavy for a premium rod of this length and power at 4.7 oz. But very balanced and doesn't feel heavy in hand. Just doesn't make you think wow im fishing with a reel only with no rod attached like the lightest rods. But id rather have that reel seat than a lighter rod with a normal real seat. Get more of a wow factor from its ergonomics than I would from a sub 4oz rods weight if that makes sense.

Overall very very happy. Its the exact power and taper I like in a worm jig rod with off the charts sensitivity, comfort, and craftsmanship. And will also work fantastic as a do everything rod and handle any single hook moving bait great. Should make a nice jerkbait rod as well. Got a 3 and 4 pounder trying it out and handled them perfectly!
Very Nice, and congratulations. I never weighed mine because like you said the balance is so good, and with a reel they don't feel heavy in my hand. I agree very ergonomic handles on both of mine too. Being able to comfortably throw a rod all day is very important to me. I never cared for the balance, or the soft tips on the NRX's either. It was the sensitivity that kept them in my lineup til I expanded my horizons. The solid tip on the Designo's are versatile and I can easily see throwing jerkbaits, single hooks, and other options without issue. It's tough going out on a limb and trying a rod with no warranty, or any idea how it will fish. I'm glad you gave it a shot and are happy with what came of it. Nothing like breaking in a rod and getting a few good ones to commit. That's awesome man!

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:45 pm

Well the advice on this thread is what made me pull the trigger and it was exactly as I was expecting and hoping! It is what I was hoping my PIII Bearing Down would be but that rod was a little too stiff and didn't cast like I hoped. But this is perfect! It's like you guys said, similar to the Javelin or Nautilus, but the shorter length makes skipping easier and its a clear level more sensitive.

I totally agree that comfort in hand is NOT all about weight. This rod feels much nicer in hand than an NRX weighing an oz less but with worse balance and less comfortable reel seat and foregrip. On this rod the reel just melts into my hand perfectly. Which also helps in a practical way on hooksets. That 4 pounder in picture I caught at the very end of a long cast probably 35, 40 yards away and at that distance still clearly and crisply felt the bite and set the hook. At that distance other still very sensitive rods tend to feel a somewhat muted.

Maybe a dumb question but what does Designo mean? My TKDC Stingray says Kaleido Designo. I know the top Evergreen rods are in lines saying Kaleido, Inspire, and Designo, but not sure what each designation actually means.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:10 am

hungry_cow wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:45 pm
Well the advice on this thread is what made me pull the trigger and it was exactly as I was expecting and hoping! It is what I was hoping my PIII Bearing Down would be but that rod was a little too stiff and didn't cast like I hoped. But this is perfect! It's like you guys said, similar to the Javelin or Nautilus, but the shorter length makes skipping easier and its a clear level more sensitive.

I totally agree that comfort in hand is NOT all about weight. This rod feels much nicer in hand than an NRX weighing an oz less but with worse balance and less comfortable reel seat and foregrip. On this rod the reel just melts into my hand perfectly. Which also helps in a practical way on hooksets. That 4 pounder in picture I caught at the very end of a long cast probably 35, 40 yards away and at that distance still clearly and crisply felt the bite and set the hook. At that distance other still very sensitive rods tend to feel a somewhat muted.

Maybe a dumb question but what does Designo mean? My TKDC Stingray says Kaleido Designo. I know the top Evergreen rods are in lines saying Kaleido, Inspire, and Designo, but not sure what each designation actually means.
Congrats on the rod!!! The Nautilus has always been one of my favorite rods. I’ve been looking for a slightly shorter version of the Nautilus. Sounds like this could be it.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:07 am

hungry_cow wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:52 pm
Awesome news and nice write up. I only recently got tracking info on mine. You found the superior source. Sounds fantastically versatile.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:26 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:07 am
hungry_cow wrote:
Awesome news and nice write up. I only recently got tracking info on mine. You found the superior source. Sounds fantastically versatile.
Where can i get one too?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:38 am

Chode wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:26 am
Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:07 am
hungry_cow wrote:
Where can i get one too?

I’ll PM you

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:06 pm

hungry_cow wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:45 pm

“Designo” on the Stingray is informing you that the rod uses a Designo blank. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Designo makes blanks for a bunch of JDM companies, just like Graphite Leader/Olympic, and a handful of other JDM blank manufacturers.

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:07 pm

hungry_cow wrote:
👍🏼🤘🏼

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:47 am

Have a question about the DLT-C71H+R2S, how does this rod compare to the TKLC super stallion with similar specs? And would this make a good rod for 2 to 3 oz swimbaits as well? Not sure if its better with the lower end for jigs and worms or fishes better in the high end as it has a crazy wide rating on it.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:52 am

hungry_cow wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:47 am
Have a question about the DLT-C71H+R2S, how does this rod compare to the TKLC super stallion with similar specs? And would this make a good rod for 2 to 3 oz swimbaits as well? Not sure if its better with the lower end for jigs and worms or fishes better in the high end as it has a crazy wide rating on it.
I haven't fished my older TKLC Super Stallion next to my Designo yet, but I know it's definitely faster. I just tested the Super Stallion GT next to my C71H and the GT is faster also. Neither fish too well at the top end of their ratings to me personally, but the SS ratings are a little more reliable. 4oz for the Designo is very generous, and much closer to 3oz like the SS rating is more like it. With a 2.4oz Deps highsider on each side by side the tips have a similar amount of bend from the weight. Either rod will do it ok in my opinion but I prefer a rod with a heavier rating for baits 2.5 oz and heavier. I don't like to feel like i have to lob a bait around in order not to compromise the rod. I also prefer to fish my rods in the sweet spot of their ratings over maxing them out. I typically don't fish either with more than an ounce and a half, but threw the highsiders for a little bit just to see what was up. I think the Designo is better for treble baits than the SSGT, but previously I haven't had a problem keeping them pinned on a whopper popper 130 on the GT either. 3/8 to a little over 2 oz is my ideal comfort zone for both and the Deps baits are probably the most I will push either of them. If I rememberer correct Cal did a review on the TKLC for a trip to the amazon a few years back on here that you might be able to do a search for. I hope this helps you some.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:13 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:00 pm
domthewon wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:01 pm
RISE wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:01 am
domthewon wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:27 pm
RISE wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:26 pm

The Designo Lebens are flat out some of the most sensitive rods I own or have ever fished. They are extremely clear and dragging tungsten on rocks is almost like the nails on a chalkboard in a good way, and no the RD's just aren't as sensitive, I also believe the RSR is more sensitive than any of the RD's and just above my B70H, and is just below my Leben C71H+TT limited which in my opinion is a cattle prod. It's the most sensitive rod I own, and definitely more sensitive than the mh/h st mentioned above.
Just to show that sensitivity among rods of a similar class is a personal thing. I have the RD Jigga Stick and the Leben C71H+TT. Both have fantastic sensitivity but in my hands I get a more clear picture of what my bait is doing and have more sensitivity with the Jigga Stick. Even using the same exact baits switching back and forth between the rods on the boat in the same fishing conditions to me the Jigga Stick gives more sensitivity. But I 100% believe that to other people the perception could be that the Leben C71H+TT is more sensative.

Sensitivity is a perception, the rod is one of the key tools in how we perceive what a bait we cannot see is doing. It is a translating tool and varies person to person.

That being said I still think I prefer the Leben C71H+TT overall out of the two fantastic rods. I prefer it's tip for casting, like the balance and feel in hand a little better, and just feel in my hands it's slightly easier to control and hop a jig. I think if 100 anglers fished both rods half would prefer the Jigga Stick and Half would prefer the Leben and 100% would be thrilled with either one!

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:14 am

Just looking to resurrect this post. I'm looking to acquire a hustler finesse tune, and wondering how the guys who have used them for a while now like them? Is it the real deal for texas rigs? Has the rod performed up to it's price, delivering durability, sensitivity and the right taper for the job? Let me know your thoughts if you have used one.

I'm planning on using it for compact tungsten jigs w/compact trailers mostly 1/4 to 3/8 and maybe 1/2oz. Texas rigs 1/4 to 3/8, all of which in light to moderate cover. Can this rod handle the moderate cover with the solid tip design, and be able to horse fish out and dominate them? or is that solid tip design limiting the rod to working best for a no-cover situation?

I have the 7011HRB jigga stick and absolutely love it for the bigger stuff 1/2-3/4. Just hoping the finesse tune will be a bit lighter and have a faster tip section, but without sacrificing too much pulling power.

Thanks!

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:16 pm

jpmoney wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:14 am
Just looking to resurrect this post. I'm looking to acquire a hustler finesse tune, and wondering how the guys who have used them for a while now like them? Is it the real deal for texas rigs? Has the rod performed up to it's price, delivering durability, sensitivity and the right taper for the job? Let me know your thoughts if you have used one.

I'm planning on using it for compact tungsten jigs w/compact trailers mostly 1/4 to 3/8 and maybe 1/2oz. Texas rigs 1/4 to 3/8, all of which in light to moderate cover. Can this rod handle the moderate cover with the solid tip design, and be able to horse fish out and dominate them? or is that solid tip design limiting the rod to working best for a no-cover situation?

I have the 7011HRB jigga stick and absolutely love it for the bigger stuff 1/2-3/4. Just hoping the finesse tune will be a bit lighter and have a faster tip section, but without sacrificing too much pulling power.

Thanks!

Yeah; I still love the rod. 3/8th is about as high as I go with it; senkos and such. I have not found the solid tip to be limiting. I’ll throw into thick cover with it if the situation requires it; I just won’t lean on the fish like I would with a flippin stick and braid. I’ve had no issues with lacking power. Does it fish to its price? I don’t know if any of the super expensive rods do. It’s crazy sensitive. It’s really comfortable and just a pleasure to fish. But I’m not sure if I could convince anyone that’s it’s truly worth what they charge. It’s a guilty pleasure I certainly enjoy. The types of applications you describe are right in the wheelhouse for this rod in terms of the way I fish. The technical tune would also perform these duties well if you’re concerned about the solid tip. For senkos I like the solid tip on the days bigger ones have a more subtle take rather than causing a tick on an inhale. You can’t miss a frog farting in the lake with this rod.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:27 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:16 pm
jpmoney wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:14 am

Thanks!

Yeah; I still love the rod. 3/8th is about as high as I go with it; senkos and such. I have not found the solid tip to be limiting. I’ll throw into thick cover with it if the situation requires it; I just won’t lean on the fish like I would with a flippin stick and braid. I’ve had no issues with lacking power. Does it fish to its price? I don’t know if any of the super expensive rods do. It’s crazy sensitive. It’s really comfortable and just a pleasure to fish. But I’m not sure if I could convince anyone that’s it’s truly worth what they charge. It’s a guilty pleasure I certainly enjoy. The types of applications you describe are right in the wheelhouse for this rod in terms of the way I fish. The technical tune would also perform these duties well if you’re concerned about the solid tip. For senkos I like the solid tip on the days bigger ones have a more subtle take rather than causing a tick on an inhale. You can’t miss a frog farting in the lake with this rod.
Thanks for the info! It's always a challenge when reading information about high end big dollar rods online and trying to figure out exactly how it fishes in a real life situation. It's a bit of a risk not knowing but seeing what you have to say has confirmed in me that I need this rod...lol! I find the past couple years I have been focusing on heavier powered rods and seemed to have neglected the MH range. Also I'm glad to hear it has some balls to get the fish moving.

I have the jigga stick for comparison - do you think the finesse tune has significantly less power in the butt section? I realize the finesse tune's tip is definitely softer and faster. But if I were to put it into loomis "power rating" terms, is it a full power down, or more?
Thanks in advance for all the insight to this rod.