Best Megabass Topwater rods?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best Megabass Topwater rods?

Post by goldrod » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:31 pm

When you know you don’t have to think.
Thanks what one of my mentors told me for all of a year. For example
Is that item prescribe for your uniform? I think it is. When you know you don’t have to think”” Ta Da!! Now Square yourself away

Hence Otomat is not soft ta
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:15 pm

goldrod wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:31 pm
When you know you don’t have to think.
Thanks what one of my mentors told me for all of a year. For example
Is that item prescribe for your uniform? I think it is. When you know you don’t have to think”” Ta Da!! Now Square yourself away

Hence Otomat is not soft ta
Sorry man I don’t understand.

I get the part of knowing over having to think about it but what exactly did you mean?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:46 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:50 pm
fishes wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:09 pm
What topwater lures do you plan on throwing? And what weight range?
Mainly Pop Max’s, dog x’s, xpod’s, whopper ploppers etc.

I also dont have a designated jerk bait rod and I’ve read these rods do both but top water would be used for probably 90% of the time seeing that I don’t use jerk baits often.

In my limited experience I don’t know of any rod that can go from a Vision 110
That’s about 1/2oz to a whopper plopped say the 130 which is 1-3/8oz.
No the Otomat isn’t rated for that weight so of course I would not advise you that it’s a rod for that. Given what you said you intended to throw I would suggest two separate rods.

I would also like to add that conversely you can throw a vision 110 on a whopper plopped rod but I don’t think the rod would impart the action required to effectively work the bait.

In my previous post I was simply implying that in my upmost humble opinion I don’t consider the Otomat rod to be soft. That can be argued of course but I’m just attempting to answer your question to the best of my ability.

Which is what is the best rod for topwater from MB
If I’m working a pop max, I’m using the Otomat and the same for the diamanté or even giant dog x which upon my last look was 1/2 as well but if I’m working a middle of the pack whopper plopped or something of that weight I’d look for a totally different rod in the megabass line up and that may come down to many factors such as your personal preference in length, action, braid or no braid etc.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:55 am

goldrod wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:46 pm
Datbasstho wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:50 pm
fishes wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:09 pm
What topwater lures do you plan on throwing? And what weight range?
Mainly Pop Max’s, dog x’s, xpod’s, whopper ploppers etc.

I also dont have a designated jerk bait rod and I’ve read these rods do both but top water would be used for probably 90% of the time seeing that I don’t use jerk baits often.

In my limited experience I don’t know of any rod that can go from a Vision 110
That’s about 1/2oz to a whopper plopped say the 130 which is 1-3/8oz.
No the Otomat isn’t rated for that weight so of course I would not advise you that it’s a rod for that. Given what you said you intended to throw I would suggest two separate rods.

I would also like to add that conversely you can throw a vision 110 on a whopper plopped rod but I don’t think the rod would impart the action required to effectively work the bait.

In my previous post I was simply implying that in my upmost humble opinion I don’t consider the Otomat rod to be soft. That can be argued of course but I’m just attempting to answer your question to the best of my ability.

Which is what is the best rod for topwater from MB
If I’m working a pop max, I’m using the Otomat and the same for the diamanté or even giant dog x which upon my last look was 1/2 as well but if I’m working a middle of the pack whopper plopped or something of that weight I’d look for a totally different rod in the megabass line up and that may come down to many factors such as your personal preference in length, action, braid or no braid etc.
Ok now I understand perfectly.
I do own a Diablo Spec R that can handle ploppers and some bigger top water applications so I would be already covered in that department.

So the otomat would be a good addition for my smaller to have size top water baits based on your review along with others.

Thank you very much for your detailed response and all of your help!

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:05 am

You bet. I agree with you on the soft tip being a help for the take but it can also hinder working a certain top water too if its too soft. I know MB had top water in mind for both rods so I don't think you can go wrong. Destroyers are really nice.
Philippians 4:6

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:59 am

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:05 am
You bet. I agree with you on the soft tip being a help for the take but it can also hinder working a certain top water too if its too soft. I know MB had top water in mind for both rods so I don't think you can go wrong. Destroyers are really nice.
Very true, cant go wrong with any Destroyer.
Thanks again.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:01 pm

I’m no megabass expert, but I have an older destroyer cyclone which I absolutely love for top waters and other hard baits. I’d think the new version, or the super cyclone for larger offerings would be a good choice

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:52 pm

EvilCat did we......

I agree whole heartedly about Cyclone's pedigree for all around excellence with a who's who of trebles and light weightless plastics(5" senkos in my case) and smaller jigs say 1/4-5/16oz and trailer was the work mine did in the way back 8-)

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:58 pm

I'm pretty partial to the Destroyer Otomat

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lund40 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:38 am

im from the one rod do everything camp I have even frogged with a light action spinning outfit with 6 lb test

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:09 pm

jmb27 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:13 am
Datbasstho wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:43 pm
jmb27 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:35 pm
The Elseil models handle topwater and jerkbaits very well (along with other techniques too). Sweet spot is 3/8 to 1/2 lures, but I’ve used the 1/4 oz pop-X with no problems.

The Diablo models (like a Diablo Fast move) are good, I use a whopper plopped regularly with one.

I’m sure that a one ten stick would fit the bill as well. But I haven’t used one of those.
Any specific Elseil?

I’m trying to see if there’s one rod that everyone would agree is the very best for top water in that department.
I know there are a lot of similar rods and not everyone gets a chance to fish each one obviously but just hoping one would stand out.

Appreciate the help!
I have the (2014) Evoluzion Elseil that has a medium fast taper and the X7 model, that is more of a regular taper. I treat the Elseil rods as a do everything for treble hooks and single hook baits like spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, etc. I prefer a quicker action for soft plastics and jigs.

I doubt that you'll get a consensus "one rod" for topwater within the MB line of rods. Almost all of the MB rods can handle multiple techniques really well. Based upon how you like to fish, you may prefer a faster action for topwater, which would open up other excellent rod choices within the MB line.

Based upon the lure size of what you mentioned, I would recommend an Evoluzion Elseil or Diablo. If you were fishing smaller topwaters, the X7 Bearingdown could fit the bill.
Is the 2014 elseil the "big taper" model? If so, how do you like it with the medium fast taper vs the regular taper of the x7? Thanks

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:39 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:09 pm

Is the 2014 elseil the "big taper" model? If so, how do you like it with the medium fast taper vs the regular taper of the x7? Thanks
No. The big taper is a previous Evo model, I haven't fished that one. The medium fast taper is different the the regular of the X7. If you include the whole range of models, I think that you can make a strong case that the X7 line was the best that MB has done, but I digress.

While the medium fast reacts a bit quicker than the regular taper of the X7 Elseil, both are excellent rods for treble hooked lures, spinnerbaits, etc. I think that the medium fast extends the utility a bit in terms of fishing some bottom contact stuff, but I prefer faster tapers for that, so no field testing from me between the two for jigs/soft plastics.

If you are looking for a MB model for topwater/jerkbaits/moving baits, I think that you'd be really happy with either Elseil. The medium fast is a shade quicker on the reaction.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:35 am

jmb27 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:39 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:09 pm

No. The big taper is a previous Evo model, I haven't fished that one. The medium fast taper is different the the regular of the X7. If you include the whole range of models, I think that you can make a strong case that the X7 line was the best that MB has done, but I digress.

While the medium fast reacts a bit quicker than the regular taper of the X7 Elseil, both are excellent rods for treble hooked lures, spinnerbaits, etc. I think that the medium fast extends the utility a bit in terms of fishing some bottom contact stuff, but I prefer faster tapers for that, so no field testing from me between the two for jigs/soft plastics.

If you are looking for a MB model for topwater/jerkbaits/moving baits, I think that you'd be really happy with either Elseil. The medium fast is a shade quicker on the reaction.
Thanks. I have a big taper elseil and was wondering where it fits in with the different versions of the elseil as far as taper goes.