We really not gonna talk about the new 2020 Ultima 172H “full carbon triangle grip”?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: We really not gonna talk about the new 2020 Ultima 172H “full carbon triangle grip”?

Post by domthewon » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:12 pm

Tigerbass wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:39 am
Thank you both for the feedback. I have the 2020 on pre-order and even though it may not serve as that heavy powered jig/t/rig rod I am still very excited about it and know that I will find plenty of uses. I have lots of traditional American “fast action” rods and am growing more fond of the JDM “dual taper” type actions. For many applications they are actually more fun to fish than the true fast rods!
I'm pretty sure all my high end JDM rods were purchased with the intent of being bottom contact rods initially. Just like you mentioned the dual taper that most JDM rods have make them pretty versatile. The ones that I don't care to use for bottom contact really fill out my lineup and make incredible moving bait rods. I don't regret buying any of mine. You will be really happy with this rod i'm sure and can only imagine it being more sensitive than the gen1 due to the new handle design. Who knows you may really like it for jigs. Congrats on getting a preorder in on yours. I can't wait til people start receiving theirs so I can hear how they compare in hand.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: We really not gonna talk about the new 2020 Ultima 172H “full carbon triangle grip”?

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:48 pm

domthewon wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:12 pm
Tigerbass wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:39 am
Thank you both for the feedback. I have the 2020 on pre-order and even though it may not serve as that heavy powered jig/t/rig rod I am still very excited about it and know that I will find plenty of uses. I have lots of traditional American “fast action” rods and am growing more fond of the JDM “dual taper” type actions. For many applications they are actually more fun to fish than the true fast rods!
I'm pretty sure all my high end JDM rods were purchased with the intent of being bottom contact rods initially. Just like you mentioned the dual taper that most JDM rods have make them pretty versatile. The ones that I don't care to use for bottom contact really fill out my lineup and make incredible moving bait rods. I don't regret buying any of mine. You will be really happy with this rod i'm sure and can only imagine it being more sensitive than the gen1 due to the new handle design. Who knows you may really like it for jigs. Congrats on getting a preorder in on yours. I can't wait til people start receiving theirs so I can hear how they compare in hand.

Here here; the 172 ultima is a dream rod. One of my personal all times favorites.

benjlwq
Angler
Angler

Post by benjlwq » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:34 am

Would anyone here happen to own the Conquest 844C and the current Gen Poison Ultima 172h? I currently own the 844c and would like to know if i get the PU is it a step up? or it's not worth the price premium. Thanks!

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:19 am

I've got both but haven't fished them. Look and feel the Ultima is all I can comment.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:25 pm

kyty wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:19 am
I've got both but haven't fished them. Look and feel the Ultima is all I can comment.
You have the ‘20 Ultima 172H in hand already??

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:12 pm

No sorry got the older version. My bad.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Mon May 11, 2020 4:06 pm

It is here!! And.....WOW! What a beautiful and nice feeling rod! :D

Weighs in at 4.27 ounces on my scale and feels very light and balanced. You wouldn’t really know that it is a 7’2” Heavy powered rod. Balances directly in front of the locking nut with a Met MGL and slightly into the lock nut with a Conquest 100.

Fit and finish is top notch. The full carbon monocoque looks and feels awesome! The butt section has the reddish/burgundy hue in the sunlight.

Hopefully I will be able to make a few casts with it tomorrow. As for now from what I can tell under light pressure it SEEMS to be pretty fast action. However, (per the video above with the dude yanking the snakehead across the top of those weeds) I assume it will act more moderate under load. This is my first Ultima so I can’t compare to the gen 1.

I took a few crappy pictures but don’t know how to post them on here. If someone wants to shoot me a PM I will text pics for them to post.

benjlwq
Angler
Angler

Post by benjlwq » Tue May 12, 2020 12:58 am

Tigerbass wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:06 pm
It is here!! And.....WOW! What a beautiful and nice feeling rod! :D

Weighs in at 4.27 ounces on my scale and feels very light and balanced. You wouldn’t really know that it is a 7’2” Heavy powered rod. Balances directly in front of the locking nut with a Met MGL and slightly into the lock nut with a Conquest 100.

Fit and finish is top notch. The full carbon monocoque looks and feels awesome! The butt section has the reddish/burgundy hue in the sunlight.

Hopefully I will be able to make a few casts with it tomorrow. As for now from what I can tell under light pressure it SEEMS to be pretty fast action. However, (per the video above with the dude yanking the snakehead across the top of those weeds) I assume it will act more moderate under load. This is my first Ultima so I can’t compare to the gen 1.

I took a few crappy pictures but don’t know how to post them on here. If someone wants to shoot me a PM I will text pics for them to post.
Great stuff! Mine just arrived today as well! But can't fish for the next few weeks due to lock down. Do let us know how the trial session goes for you!

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Tue May 12, 2020 7:39 pm

Got the Ultima 172H out for just a little today. Extremely impressive!!! Light and crisp.

Just put on a 1/4oz football shakey head with Zoom Mag Finesse worm and drug it around my cove. Rocks and wood felt electric, as the sensitivity was a clear notch above anything I’ve fished (NRX, GLX, X7, Nautilus, Cumulus, Z bone, etc.). Crawling through a brush pile felt amazing.

It loaded and launched the 1/2oz rig easily. I was fearful that the 7/16 oz low end rating might mean that it would have some trouble with lighter lures, but that does not seem to be the case. I’ll try to drop down a little lower and see how it handles.

I did get hung up in a brush pile and put some pressure to see the action (have a couple of pics). I would say under a fair amount of pressure (I wasn’t about to really lean into a brush pile with my new rod!!!) the backbone engaged about 1/3 of the way down the rod. Not overly moderate at all from that early test. Felt and looked fast to mod-fast to me.

Unfortunately no bites as I only made 10-12 casts. Maybe tomorrow! Early results have me pleased with the purchase.
Last edited by Tigerbass on Fri May 15, 2020 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Thu May 14, 2020 1:04 pm

Okay, I think I figured out posting pics!! Here goes.....

The red accent in the monocoque handle. Really shows up in the sun, but otherwise very subtle!

Rear Handle.jpg
Rear Handle.jpg (99.77 KiB) Viewed 7381 times

Ultima rear handle.jpg
Ultima rear handle.jpg (43.78 KiB) Viewed 7381 times
Last edited by Tigerbass on Thu May 14, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Thu May 14, 2020 1:07 pm

Balance points.....no reel, with Met MGL, and with Conquest 100

Ultima balance (Met MGL).jpg
Ultima balance (Met MGL).jpg (53.72 KiB) Viewed 7392 times
No reel.jpg
No reel.jpg (72.42 KiB) Viewed 7379 times
Conquest 100.jpg
Conquest 100.jpg (114.23 KiB) Viewed 7379 times
Last edited by Tigerbass on Thu May 14, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Thu May 14, 2020 1:11 pm

Couple of on the water pics. Please forgive the Daiwa reel on the Shimano rod!! Luckily, the universe did not explode! It had fresh line and I didn't want to take the time to spool up the Metanium. Note: the flat top of the rear grip obviously lays comfortably under the forearm.
on water 1.jpg
on water 1.jpg (70.25 KiB) Viewed 7377 times
on water 2.jpg
on water 2.jpg (57.53 KiB) Viewed 7377 times
forearm.jpg
forearm.jpg (59.84 KiB) Viewed 7377 times
Last edited by Tigerbass on Thu May 14, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Thu May 14, 2020 1:18 pm

Finally, a couple of pics to attempt to show action/taper. As mentioned above, I was hung in a brush pile. First pic shows minimal pressure applied. Second pic was "medium" amount of pressure. Rear Handle locked under forearm, holding phone in right hand taking pic, wasn't about to give it everything I had with a brand new rod. I'm sure I could have engaged a little further down the blank, but under medium pressure the backbone seemed to engage about 1/3rd down the blank....felt fast/mod-fast to me. I'm not pulling snakeheads across the top of thick vegetation, so I believe it will be able to handle basic bottom contact lures for me (open water wood, rocks, and docks) in addition to single hook moving baits, and possibly some treble hook!
Action small pressure.jpg
Action small pressure.jpg (57.45 KiB) Viewed 7376 times

Action medium pressure.jpg
Action medium pressure.jpg (54.39 KiB) Viewed 7376 times
Last edited by Tigerbass on Fri May 15, 2020 7:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Thu May 14, 2020 1:33 pm

That thing looks sick, thanks for posting tiger bass!

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu May 14, 2020 2:41 pm

Looks great! Eventually I'll get my hands on a gen 2. I have so many rods on the must try list.