Ss sv spool options

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Ss sv spool options

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:47 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:22 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:27 pm
LowRange wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:05 pm
I've used the Steez LTD 105 in my SS SV. It was about the same as it was in the Steez LTD. I ended up using mine for finesse and have a Ray's DIY in it with stronger magnets from an IS73. The SS SV spool and magnets live in the IS73 urban camo for a future build.
I might have to try this. I have an extra Steez limited 105 spool just sitting around. Thanks for the info
I've never used the steez limited reel just the limited 105 spool in a TD Ito and it was really nice. How is the spool in the steez limited?
Couldn't tell ya lol

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:21 pm

A good fix for the ss sv spool is to buy the rays spool inductor kit and swap the inductor on the spool . It transforms the casting of the spool . Makes it a bit wilder but gets great distance.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:16 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:21 pm
A good fix for the ss sv spool is to buy the rays spool inductor kit and swap the inductor on the spool . It transforms the casting of the spool . Makes it a bit wilder but gets great distance.
I've done this same thing to all my SV spools. It frees up the reel quite a bit.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:47 pm

The Megabass honeycomb spool is awesome in this platform
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:40 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:16 am
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
I've done this same thing to all my SV spools. It frees up the reel quite a bit.
For clarification, I did this mod on any SV spool with a sticky rotor. The Ray's rotor has a tapered edge, much like the Type R+ spools.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:20 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:40 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
For clarification, I did this mod on any SV spool with a sticky rotor. The Ray's rotor has a tapered edge, much like the Type R+ spools.
If it's tapered like an r+ shouldn't an r+ spool work similarly to the Ray's?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:27 am

While the inductors are very similar (more like a Pixy Airy Red inductor actually) the method of operation differ between the two. Magforce V vs Air Brake. The Air Brake of the SV spools and Ray's use a softer spring and extend outwards more willingly at lower spool speeds than what I have seen in Type R and Airy Red spools.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:26 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:20 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:40 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
If it's tapered like an r+ shouldn't an r+ spool work similarly to the Ray's?
Yes, the tapered edge does free the spool because there's less material for the magnets to act on. In this respect, it works similarly to the type r+, generating less mag braking. But as mentioned above, the spring plays a big part, as well. I think a stiffer spring coupled with a Ray's kit would actually be ideal to bomb casts, though not sure of it would get too wild to tame at that point. It would be interesting to see, though. I have a couple kits left. I may just do that myself, since my curiosity is up now.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:00 am

Just a heads up on the Ray's kits: the blank inductor is almost identical to the Type R+ inductor, but the gold one is thinner yet. It's a little wilder.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:41 pm

Just picked up a 1000 sv shallow spool. Anyone have any time with one in an SS?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:27 pm

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:41 pm
I don't but I think I was reading it was good in the SS. I've been researching a lot trying to figure out what spool I want to put in the SS so I might be getting mixed up. Im gonna kick myself for getting rid of the 1000 sv if it's "the one" lol

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:33 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:27 pm
MountainMan 83 wrote:
I don't but I think I was reading it was good in the SS. I've been researching a lot trying to figure out what spool I want to put in the SS so I might be getting mixed up. Im gonna kick myself for getting rid of the 1000 sv if it's "the one" lol
I don't think it will perform vastly different from the stock spool. It may be a little less restricted, but likely not a lot. I think the right way to approach this is to determine what exactly it is you want from the reel, and what you want to use it for. I'd opt for the SLP Steez 105 or 103 spool myself. The Steez limited versions should be fine too. If looking for non SV versions, I'd likely try Magforce Z 1016 or 1012, depending on line requirements. Have you tried any of these spools yet?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:45 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:33 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:27 pm
MountainMan 83 wrote:
I don't think it will perform vastly different from the stock spool. It may be a little less restricted, but likely not a lot. I think the right way to approach this is to determine what exactly it is you want from the reel, and what you want to use it for. I'd opt for the SLP Steez 105 or 103 spool myself. The Steez limited versions should be fine too. If looking for non SV versions, I'd likely try Magforce Z 1016 or 1012, depending on line requirements. Have you tried any of these spools yet?
Maybe I'll try the steez limited 105 spool. I already have it so nothing to lose. I have an ss sv reel without a rod was thinking about putting it on a light power rod because it is so lightweight that it feels good (looks good on the rod as well). I have a px68L I might put on it instead. I also have an alphas CT sv but for some reason the lighter rods feel better with the 5-5.5oz reels. (Ridiculous complaining about .5 oz when I love my alphas).

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:34 pm

Chris
The weight of the reel may match a light powered rod, but the reel with that spool may not. Generally light powered sticks are used for throwing light baits, and I don't think that reel and spool will get you quite there. Just my 2 cents...

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:29 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:34 pm
Chris
The weight of the reel may match a light powered rod, but the reel with that spool may not. Generally light powered sticks are used for throwing light baits, and I don't think that reel and spool will get you quite there. Just my 2 cents...
Yeah, your probably right.