Ss sv spool options

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
noc10
Angler
Angler

Re: Ss sv spool options

Post by noc10 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:08 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:23 am
I was just curious if anyone has tried a SS SV with a Zpi nrc001m spool, steez 103 r+, or steel limited 105sv spool? I keep reading about the SS sv being over braked but not sure if it's the spool, magnets, or both.
I think it is mostly the spool. I just bought a Zillion G1 spool for Tackle Trap for mine and it woke it up quite nicely. The OG Steez Non-R+), and the Steez SV 103/105 are also decent in the SS SV. (At least I like them.)
"I have no worries, I'm just a ghost driving a meat puppet"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:15 pm

noc10 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:08 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
I was just curious if anyone has tried a SS SV with a Zpi nrc001m spool, steez 103 r+, or steel limited 105sv spool? I keep reading about the SS sv being over braked but not sure if it's the spool, magnets, or both.
I think it is mostly the spool. I just bought a Zillion G1 spool for Tackle Trap for mine and it woke it up quite nicely. The OG Steez Non-R+), and the Steez SV 103/105 are also decent in the SS SV. (At least I like them.)
Can you describe the differences you observe between the SV105 and Zillion G1 spools? I would imagine that the Zillion spool is a little faster, but how fast?

noc10
Angler
Angler

Post by noc10 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:11 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:15 pm
noc10 wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Can you describe the differences you observe between the SV105 and Zillion G1 spools? I would imagine that the Zillion spool is a little faster, but how fast?
All I have at this point is some living room time and a bit of backyard casting as I just put these on a couple weeks ago. I can say that it appears that the Zillion is some faster, I am not by any means a great thumb talent and I didn't feel like it was so fast that I was about to blow it up every cast, but given the right set of circumstances and too little of a brake and it could go there I think.

That said, I have the SS SV on a little 6'1" MXF Speed Tip Custom that I cannot see myself using for bomb casting. I intend to use it to pitch or roll cast small top-water stuff toward the shore and around brush piles and I think the Zillion will be perfect for that. It appears to fit the bill in my back yard using 1/4 and 3/8 oz. practice plugs anyway.

The Steez SV 103 is tamer.(I don't have a 105). It feels a lot like the stock SS SV 103 that I took off of it though not nearly so over braked. Like I said, I'm not a great caster but the stock spool felt way over braked even to me. I think I am going to put the Steez SV 103 on an OG Steez. That seems to be a nice smooth combination to me as the stock Steez spools are a little too free for my present skill level. The Steez SV 103 felt good on the SS SV, but for what I am wanting, the Zillion spool seems better.
"I have no worries, I'm just a ghost driving a meat puppet"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:42 pm

noc10 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:11 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:15 pm
noc10 wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
All I have at this point is some living room time and a bit of backyard casting as I just put these on a couple weeks ago. I can say that it appears that the Zillion is some faster, I am not by any means a great thumb talent and I didn't feel like it was so fast that I was about to blow it up every cast, but given the right set of circumstances and too little of a brake and it could go there I think.

That said, I have the SS SV on a little 6'1" MXF Speed Tip Custom that I cannot see myself using for bomb casting. I intend to use it to pitch or roll cast small top-water stuff toward the shore and around brush piles and I think the Zillion will be perfect for that. It appears to fit the bill in my back yard using 1/4 and 3/8 oz. practice plugs anyway.

The Steez SV 103 is tamer.(I don't have a 105). It feels a lot like the stock SS SV 103 that I took off of it though not nearly so over braked. Like I said, I'm not a great caster but the stock spool felt way over braked even to me. I think I am going to put the Steez SV 103 on an OG Steez. That seems to be a nice smooth combination to me as the stock Steez spools are a little too free for my present skill level. The Steez SV 103 felt good on the SS SV, but for what I am wanting, the Zillion spool seems better.
Thanks bud, this is helpful.