New Megabass Destroyers

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Megabass Destroyers

Post by Chode » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:09 pm

Heddonfrog wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:41 pm
Oh boy, here we go again...I swung a 2lbdr in the boat with my X-Bites-the-dust and it snapped right in the middle of the wrap on the 6th guide from the tip
So how was it before it broke? Or not enough time on the water with it? Also let us know how they deal with ur warranty claim plz. Thx

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:37 pm

MB will handle it very quick and professionaly. First year of warranty is free replacement, 2 and 3rd year owner must pay 40% of retail. Example, my FMJ and Daemos(2nd one) exploded same day two weeks ago. Cost to me is $339 after taxes. MB was very quick once they received broken rods to contact me for payment and ship rods that day.

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:06 pm

Ouch on the x-bites. Hope that doesn't happen to my super destroyer.

While frog fishing today with the super destoyer, I landed 3 2lbrs and a pike. Rod handled them well, even with the fish covered in vegetation.

Sensitivity seems pretty good. I could feel my frog sliding across the weed stems.

It is way easier to handle on the kayak due to the shorter length, and it balances perfectly with the steez. It may be the one rod I bring on the kayak from now on. Seems like it could do it all except for 2+ oz heavy swim baits.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:01 am

Phippy wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:37 pm
Example, my FMJ and Daemos(2nd one) exploded same day two weeks ago.

So let me get this straight: you broke not one, but two MB rods on the same day?? What are the odds?

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:01 am

jpmoney wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:01 am
Phippy wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:37 pm
Example, my FMJ and Daemos(2nd one) exploded same day two weeks ago.

So let me get this straight: you broke not one, but two MB rods on the same day?? What are the odds?
Correct, off shore smallie fishing 30fow. FMJ snapped in two places on hook set with jig in grass 50ft from boat. Daemos snapped shortly after boating 3.5lb brown went to lip rod was at 10 o'clock position then snap. Both rigged with 10lb fluorocarbon.

yoshi31
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by yoshi31 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:41 am

jmb27 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:08 am
Chode wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:43 am

how's the action on the DS and SD? from the little feedback I've gotten so far, the x-bites fish more like a F as opposed to XF. also, what are your intended applications for the ds and sd? upper and lower lure ratings? lastly, the question that might be on most people's minds, the sensitivity compared to nrx :lol: . thx in advance
Dark Sleeper is listed as a Fast action rod and I think that is accurate. I've mostly fished its namesake lure with it. I can easily tell what it is going on the bottom, changes in bottom composition, etc. and detect lighter bites. I have an NRX 853c, but I have not used it in a while. If there is a difference in sensitivity between the two, I think that it is minor and the Dark Sleeper will have more utility. I fished a shaky head (rigged with a 5" kut-tail) and it was great. Additionally, I like the end balancer on the rod quite a bit as the Met 20 balances perfectly (for me). Last weekend, the DS helped me detect the smaller fish just fine and the taper got to the backbone smoothly for the 4 lber. that I caught. I do plan on using a spinnerbait/fluke/other single hook lures with it soon, but the fish have been all about the DS (lure) lately in the little lake near me.

SD is listed as medium fast and it feels like the "typical" medium fast that I'm familiar with from other MB rods. I threw frogs with it a bit and had a few slap at the frog, but no hookups last time out. The carbon handle is quite comfortable and again, the end balancer means that the Daiwa Type R and Shimano Core 100 balance right at the winding check/reel lockdown nut. I threw a carolina rig for just a bit and could tell the bottom composition fairly well. I haven't used the rod that much yet. I do plan trying some larger topwater lures with and more skipping the frogs back into the cover. Given the backbone, I have little doubt of being able to subdue a fish deep into cover. I think that the DS is more sensitive than the SD, largely a function of the fast(er) taper rod.
Thanks buddy. Just ordered a DS myself. How does it handle 3/16-1/4 Oz t-rigs? And 3/8 oz jigs? I’ll be buying SD next...would love to hear more about that rod also

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:59 am

Anyone with feedback on the wind buster?

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:36 pm

vishus wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:07 pm
jmb27 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:08 am

SD is listed as medium fast and it feels like the "typical" medium fast that I'm familiar with from other MB rods. I think that the DS is more sensitive than the SD, largely a function of the fast(er) taper rod.

jmb27, have you fished either the Daemos or FMJ? It sounds like their both being Fast vs the SD MF would make them possibly more sensitive (similar to what you found on the DS vs SD)?

sounds like the SD would be a more versatile stick then the Daemos/FMJ, but not as focused a bottom contact rod.

I was thinking of selling off my beloved FMJ to get a SD. sounds like I just need to get the SD to add to the rod pile.
So, I think I was looking at the wrong comparison (yes I would love the composite grip on the SD), but I WANT the BETTER JIG rod! SO... is it the FMJ F6-71X (and I LOVE this rod for jigs) or is it the P5 F6.5-67X Tachyon Shaft??

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:46 am

yoshi31 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:41 am

Thanks buddy. Just ordered a DS myself. How does it handle 3/16-1/4 Oz t-rigs? And 3/8 oz jigs? I’ll be buying SD next...would love to hear more about that rod also
DS is great with bottom contact (I fish the DS lures like a jig). I think that that sensitivity difference compared to an NRX rod is small if there is one. This would make some sense from the standpoint that the NRX is "older" rod technology compared to the "new" P5 models by several years. While the NRX are fine rods in their own right, I don't think that the sensitivity difference is that noticeable anymore with newer high end rods.

Also, I used the DS rod this weekend with a Bellows Gill and I fish that like a soft jerkbait. Can feel the slightest taps and the taper of the rod keeps the fish pinned. Lastly, I used a 1/8 oz. scrounger head with a 3.3" keitech and it handled that well. The rod really shines with anything bottom contact, but certainly does well with single hook stuff--I need to try a spinnerbait next. :-k

As for the SD, I haven't fished with that as much as I've been limited to kayak fishing and I only take 3 rods with me. I will take that out this week and see how it does for bigger topwaters.

The end balancer on the P5 rods is nice touch.
Last edited by jmb27 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:48 am

vishus wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:36 pm

So, I think I was looking at the wrong comparison (yes I would love the composite grip on the SD), but I WANT the BETTER JIG rod! SO... is it the FMJ F6-71X (and I LOVE this rod for jigs) or is it the P5 F6.5-67X Tachyon Shaft??
Perhaps, @bronzefly can chime in or someone else that has used the new P5 model for a jig comparison. Of course, this being the enthusiast section of TT, the correct answer is to have BOTH rods. :lol: :mrgreen:

Of course, you can give us a review then... ;)

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:35 am

that could happen...

I love my FMJ, it is a GREAT jig rod...

BUT I am always looking for what could be BETTER...

I wonder how the Tachyon Shaft differs from the FMJ? Is the difference worth selling the FMJ and moving to the the TS? Or would it be more of a situational or JIG function that would make them compliment each other?

TIA for any comments.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:00 am

OK, I have experience with both the FMJ (my favorite in the US lineup) and the P5 Tachyon Shaft.

First off, they are very different. The TS is definitely a JDM taper. No surprise there. The FMJ is perhaps more powerful than it’s F6 rating, as it feels pretty stout until you fish with it and it just comes alive. I think it has more overall power than the Tachyon Shaft, but the TS is certainly powerful. Thus far I love it, and it’s actually more versatile than it’s description would suggest. It’s sensitivity is on par with the FMJ, which is great. I think if you don’t mind the 6’7” length of the TS you will not be disappointed at all. Sensitivity and rod performance are subjective because we all have our particular preferences when we fish, of course. The Super Destroyer is also worth a look, and even the Tequila Baccarac if you want to throw into heavy cover. The TB is bad as heck! And also incredibly versatile.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:45 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:00 am
OK, I have experience with both the FMJ (my favorite in the US lineup) and the P5 Tachyon Shaft.

First off, they are very different. The TS is definitely a JDM taper. No surprise there. The FMJ is perhaps more powerful than it’s F6 rating, as it feels pretty stout until you fish with it and it just comes alive. I think it has more overall power than the Tachyon Shaft, but the TS is certainly powerful. Thus far I love it, and it’s actually more versatile than it’s description would suggest. It’s sensitivity is on par with the FMJ, which is great. I think if you don’t mind the 6’7” length of the TS you will not be disappointed at all. Sensitivity and rod performance are subjective because we all have our particular preferences when we fish, of course. The Super Destroyer is also worth a look, and even the Tequila Baccarac if you want to throw into heavy cover. The TB is bad as heck! And also incredibly versatile.

THANK YOU. the FMJ is my dedicated JIG rod. Sounds like it will continue to be. so maybe I will get the SD as an all around rod.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:27 am

Hey TT members need some feedback on the Landsat. Just curious if it’s built with micro guides like US Destroyer and hoping for one power less than the Addermine. And obviously how it fishes. Thanks

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:40 pm

Phippy wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:27 am
Hey TT members need some feedback on the Landsat. Just curious if it’s built with micro guides like US Destroyer and hoping for one power less than the Addermine. And obviously how it fishes. Thanks

I’m also interested in it as a strictly drop shot rod and if it actually compares in sensitivity as the G Loomis as some other guys indicated.