New Megabass Destroyers

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Megabass Destroyers

Post by evilcatfish » Mon May 04, 2020 9:34 am

jmb27 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:17 am
evilcatfish wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:59 pm
Anybody else get their order in?
Me! \:D/

Dark Sleeper and a Super Destroyer--I think that the length will be great for fishing out of the kayak as some of the longer jig/worm/frog rods with backbone are usually much longer.

Looking at a few other models as well... :lol: :D
I just went Dark Sleeper, but that Super Destroyer definitely sounds fun

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:26 am

evilcatfish wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:34 am

I'm thinking that the Dark Sleeper will be great for its namesake lure (one of my favorites to fish) along w/bladed jigs, spinnerbaits, etc.

I moved too slowly when there was a Super Destroyer for sale in the classifieds. :crying: So, I'm thinking it will be easier to work for lures like jigs and frogs from the kayak than the traditional 7'+ rods for those cover techniques.

It sounds like there will be more production for these rods (?) so we can get some reviews beyond translating Japanese via Google Translate before deciding on another purchase(s).

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Mon May 04, 2020 4:42 pm

Are these still rolled in Japan and assembled in China? The Killer Code has my attention.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon May 04, 2020 9:37 pm

jmb27 wrote:
evilcatfish wrote:

Dark Sleeper and a Super Destroyer--I think that the length will be great for fishing out of the kayak as some of the longer jig/worm/frog rods with backbone are usually much longer.

Interested in what you’ll be using each one of those for?

Thanks!

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue May 05, 2020 8:11 am

Datbasstho wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:37 pm
jmb27 wrote:
evilcatfish wrote:

Thanks!
The Dark Sleeper: its namesake lure of course, :mrgreen: which is one of my favorite lures to use now. Additionally, I think that with its fast taper, it would be great for spinnerbaits and bladed jigs. Lastly, as a F4.5, I think that it would be good for t-rigs as well. I've gathered a bit of info from Japanese sites (like those linked earlier in the thread) that has given some suggestions for techniques.

Super Destroyer: I am interested in this model a lot due to its length (6'9"). Most jig/t-rig rods that I have are 7'+ plus and I'm intrigued to use a shorter rod that has a lot of backbone. I fish a lot from my kayak and at times, it can be a bit unwieldy for me to use a 7'2" or 7'6" rod. Also, I've read where guys have used the previous SD models for frogs as well. Skipping t-rigs/senkos/frogs back into cover and having the backbone to keep them away from the branches is what I'm hoping to do with this rod.

I am interested in the X-Bites, Pop-X and Siglett models (has the infamous stinger tip!) as well.

It is my understanding that these will be in production for a bit, unlike the global pre-order deal that MB does with the Evoluzion lines. That should allow for guys like Bronzefly (and others) to give some on the water feedback with particular models.

I'm curious as to what other models peeps are pre-ordering...

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Tue May 05, 2020 8:16 am

jmb27 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:26 am
evilcatfish wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:34 am

I'm thinking that the Dark Sleeper will be great for its namesake lure (one of my favorites to fish) along w/bladed jigs, spinnerbaits, etc.

I moved too slowly when there was a Super Destroyer for sale in the classifieds. :crying: So, I'm thinking it will be easier to work for lures like jigs and frogs from the kayak than the traditional 7'+ rods for those cover techniques.

It sounds like there will be more production for these rods (?) so we can get some reviews beyond translating Japanese via Google Translate before deciding on another purchase(s).
I'll be using my DS mostly for 3.5-4" tubes, I have a feeling it may be near perfect for this application and tubes are my favorite plastic to throw. Of course I'll have to try a dark sleeper on it too, senkos, finesse jigs, spinnerbaits, t-rigs, maybe a football jig in open water, can't wait to get the rod in hand.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue May 05, 2020 9:44 am

The preview that came out on that Japanese website called out a few of the rods as having dual-tapers, but that info seems to be missing from the megabass.jp site, anyone know what's up with that?

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Tue May 05, 2020 10:30 am

jmb27 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:11 am
Datbasstho wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:37 pm
jmb27 wrote:
evilcatfish wrote:

Thanks!
The Dark Sleeper: its namesake lure of course, :mrgreen: which is one of my favorite lures to use now. Additionally, I think that with its fast taper, it would be great for spinnerbaits and bladed jigs. Lastly, as a F4.5, I think that it would be good for t-rigs as well. I've gathered a bit of info from Japanese sites (like those linked earlier in the thread) that has given some suggestions for techniques.

Super Destroyer: I am interested in this model a lot due to its length (6'9"). Most jig/t-rig rods that I have are 7'+ plus and I'm intrigued to use a shorter rod that has a lot of backbone. I fish a lot from my kayak and at times, it can be a bit unwieldy for me to use a 7'2" or 7'6" rod. Also, I've read where guys have used the previous SD models for frogs as well. Skipping t-rigs/senkos/frogs back into cover and having the backbone to keep them away from the branches is what I'm hoping to do with this rod.

I am interested in the X-Bites, Pop-X and Siglett models (has the infamous stinger tip!) as well.

It is my understanding that these will be in production for a bit, unlike the global pre-order deal that MB does with the Evoluzion lines. That should allow for guys like Bronzefly (and others) to give some on the water feedback with particular models.

I'm curious as to what other models peeps are pre-ordering...
Sweet, thanks for the info.

I want one of these new Destroyers for jigs that can handle cover and was hoping it was the super destroyer because of that carbon fiber handle.

As for the Dark Sleeper, I was under the impression it would be more for bottom contact. Considering the name and the color chart they released.

So for anyone who doesn’t know, this color chart was released with the rods info and each name is colored to match one of the fishing techniques on the chart...

Even though it sounds crazy, MB isn’t always accurate with what they suggest their rods are made for.
Obviously personal opinions matter.

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Tue May 05, 2020 12:23 pm

Im pretty interested in the tequila of baccarat for 2oz glide baits up against cover and heavier frogging. Anybody get their hands on one yet?

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue May 05, 2020 4:01 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:30 am

As for the Dark Sleeper, I was under the impression it would be more for bottom contact. Considering the name and the color chart they released.
Perhaps, but the color looks olive to me, which would suggest a greenish/brown on their chart, which would align w/single hook techniques and bottom contact. Regardless, a fast taper is fine for me w/moving single hook baits--others might like a medium fast or moderate taper for those.

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Tue May 05, 2020 4:07 pm

I wish they all had the carbon grip of the super destroyer, looks like it would be very comfortable in hand.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue May 05, 2020 5:32 pm

I’m sure the US destroyers aren’t too far behind. I’d bet a few of those models also get the Chris Zaldain handle. Also more USDM length models with faster taper instead of the shorter rods the JDM line consists of.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Tue May 05, 2020 7:06 pm

jmb27 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:01 pm
Datbasstho wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:30 am

Perhaps, but the color looks olive to me, which would suggest a greenish/brown on their chart, which would align w/single hook techniques and bottom contact. Regardless, a fast taper is fine for me w/moving single hook baits--others might like a medium fast or moderate taper for those.

Ya you’re right.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed May 06, 2020 6:08 pm

i'm reading that these rods are "perfectly balanced." I wonder what perfectly balanced mean because imho most megabass rods aren't perfectly balanced, needless to say, an entire lineup.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Wed May 06, 2020 8:34 pm

I think this is the first Destroyer series that come out with true light weight, I could be wrong but comparable rods with similar power and length are about 20% lighter than USDM Destroyer? my hope is the weight reductions mostly go to blank and better guide train and as a result balanced better