Tackle Loss Support Group

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tackle Loss Support Group

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:55 am

Have you ever Loss/Damaged one of your most prized possession tackle? One of the steps to overcome loss is to talk about it with others. Please start your healing process and post about your loss.

Im fairly new to the forum but im a huge JDM and BFS enthusiast. Purchased what to me was the holy grail of BFS fishing a KTF tuned Daiwa Steez CT SV TW. This reel made me feel like Sawamura every time I took her out. I only told two people as I was ashamed, sad and in disbelief. DanD from this forum was one of them, which spurred me to make the group topic as im sure im not alone and it feels good to talk about it.

A few weeks ago I caught a nice healthy 4lb LMB and decided to take a photo of her next to my KTF Steez CT and Fenwick Aces rod. After I snapped the photo she then took revenge on me and kicked up my reel onto a rock and then flopped on top of my reel before jumping back in the water. Picked up the reel and my main frame of the reel was wrecked and KTF stickers were all marred up. Continued to fish but I felt like throwing up and was almost in tears. Yes, the reel is replaceable but $1100 is a tough one to bite on. Went home and contacted KTF and they said I can send in reel and they will replace stickers but who wants fresh stickers w/ a scraped up reel? Never looking to sell the reel but I wanted those two dang ktf stickers just for my personal comfort to put on a new Steez CT reel w/ all the ktf tuned parts, so I found a ktf sticker sheet from Buyee but when they arrived the stickers were HUGE. Decided to call it a loss and decided to make what I could out of the reel. Repainted the sideplate/gear cover in ito green, sandblasted the main frame to remove all the scrapes and cerakoted it in Satin Aluminum. Gonna miss my KTF Steez CT and hope oneday to own another in the Steez lineup.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tackle Loss Support Group

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:51 am

Tell us about the spool :lol:
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:25 am

That's just horrible, I know how you feel. I have looked covetously at that reel a few times, sadly above my current pay grade.

I was river fishing awhile ago and holding a landing net and a new rig (JDM spin stick and a new Stella C3000XG) in one hand. Thinking I was dropping the net, I dropped the outfit on solid rock. Incredibly, the reel landed square on the rotor and then bounced on the rash cover - it just had a minor scratch. The rod survived but shortly afterwards the blank on the skeleton handle section was stowed against a D-ring on the raft which rubbed a patch down to the raw carbon. Unsightly and irritating, fortunately both items were bought specifically for the trip as tools, not bought because they made my heart go 'boom boom'. Actually I can divide my tackle into 'tools' and 'preciousss..', damage to the 'preciousss' items is traumatic, to the 'tools', merely irritating and I don't feel the need to get rid of them. First world problems..... :laugh1:

My worst tackle loss experience was stowing a Daiwa Branzino rod ($600) and a mint Stella 3k FD on a charter boat in a vertical rod holder. After thrashing around in a bouncy sea I retrieved my outfit and realised the silly savage who owned the boat had installed unlined stainless steel rod holders so the rod butt and reel stem had grooves ground in them. I couldn't bear it and sold both shortly thereafter.

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:31 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:51 am
Spool?? Spool and parts from my KTF Steez have zero damage and just waiting for the new Steez CT to arrive from japan.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:18 pm

SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:31 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Spool?? Spool and parts from my KTF Steez have zero damage and just waiting for the new Steez CT to arrive from japan.

I thought you crushed one via mono?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:19 pm

My worst was an Alphas AIR Stream Custom and custom BFS rod jumping out of my rod holder in my Hobie and onto the road...couldnt find it...

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:58 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:18 pm
SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:31 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

I thought you crushed one via mono?
Oh! That was a KTF 09 Aldebaran spool. Ive replaced that one and healed but thanks for the reminder. lol

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:10 pm

I'm terribly sorry for your loss 😢

Any place we can find more info about that Fenwick Aces rod without cluttering up this thread?? Thanks.

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:12 pm

Allsorts wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:25 am
That's just horrible, I know how you feel. I have looked covetously at that reel a few times, sadly above my current pay grade.

I was river fishing awhile ago and holding a landing net and a new rig (JDM spin stick and a new Stella C3000XG) in one hand. Thinking I was dropping the net, I dropped the outfit on solid rock. Incredibly, the reel landed square on the rotor and then bounced on the rash cover - it just had a minor scratch. The rod survived but shortly afterwards the blank on the skeleton handle section was stowed against a D-ring on the raft which rubbed a patch down to the raw carbon. Unsightly and irritating, fortunately both items were bought specifically for the trip as tools, not bought because they made my heart go 'boom boom'. Actually I can divide my tackle into 'tools' and 'preciousss..', damage to the 'preciousss' items is traumatic, to the 'tools', merely irritating and I don't feel the need to get rid of them. First world problems..... :laugh1:

My worst tackle loss experience was stowing a Daiwa Branzino rod ($600) and a mint Stella 3k FD on a charter boat in a vertical rod holder. After thrashing around in a bouncy sea I retrieved my outfit and realised the silly savage who owned the boat had installed unlined stainless steel rod holders so the rod butt and reel stem had grooves ground in them. I couldn't bear it and sold both shortly thereafter.
“First world problems” 🤣 You’re absolutely right! Glad you were able to sell the Stella/Branzino combo. To some people that kinda stuff don’t bother them at all.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:08 pm

Yup. Bought a brand new reel from Japan. 1st time out with it, I set it along the side of my vehicle, standing up. Wind kicked it over, landed on the top of the side of the reel in gravel. It wasn't terrible, but I couldn't handle it. Sold it immediately at a loss of course. Used the money to fund a brand new, same reel. I won't rest my combos against my car anymore. Of course, I hadn't put a reel cover on it that day. Aside from that, I've been pretty lucky. Haven't lost anything, but I'm probably overly anal with my gear, under most circumstances. Sorry for your loss bud. That's definitely a rough one.

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:29 am

My tale of woe happened last summer. Was skipping piers with my prized Steez CT. Made a cast and my jig hit my trolling motor resulting in a birds nest an eagle would be proud of. Decided the best bet was to cut off the line and respool. It was choppy so I moved out from the piers and just as I started cutting a large wave rocked me and I put a nice gouge in the reel frame with my knife. After puking and a few tears, I respooled and went back at it. Dan

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:08 am

I’m giving the highest sympathy points to the guys that actually LOST the gear vs damage. Cosmetic vs unfishable to me is a different level of stomach churn. :lol:

My best that I can think of off the top of my head was getting a NRX895 fully custom rebuilt by a well known shop, voiding the warranty, of course I broke the rod at the new reel seat/handle on the first fish I caught and we had a nice debate about what they needed to cover damage wise. Just gotta know up front what level of risk you’re biting off without warranty.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:52 pm

That feeling you get when you pull that mint reel out of the box and find 2 pin holes in it. Are there reel rats in my cabinet?

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:18 pm

Yup, been there.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:05 pm

Rested a mint condition megabass p3 bearing down against a wall after taking the reel off for a cleaning, the rod fell over sideways and slapped the wood floor and the tip cracked off. I had to just go lay down. I swore off megabass rods after that...but I ended up buying another bearing down about a month later 😂